Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,383,245 times

Advertisements

i believe that the most importing things in life are health, time, happiness, and money. people talk about the other three when someone is sick, unhappy, or dont have time to do this and that. a conversation can start up. but the thing about money, I believe its not the most important, but its a close second. its not like were talking about sex, death, or some nasty stuff (such as killing someone) but why is it so taboo?

the way i see life, so many americans dont even talk about money, and they tell their kids to go to school, do well, and the money will follow, but people still struggle with money because they never learned how to manage it. with asian cultures (some of my friends are chinese, indian, and jewish) they always talk about money and those folks are the best with money. i do have to admit, some of them only talk about that and it gets annoying, but i do learn a lesson or two from them time and time again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
I don't find the subject taboo at all. Most people are interested in learning how to successfully save, invest and manage money. Now if you're suggesting that people don't want to discuss the specifics of their finances (income, debt, investment balances), that I can see. It's possible to have conversations about those subjects involving percents and planning without divulging your personal finances. That subject, at least for me, is taboo.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,623,225 times
it isn't taboo

Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
i talk about it but i never try to push my practices on others if they arent receptive and i dont talk about specific personal numbers.

i definitely believe personal finance should be required in high school and college.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:50 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
why is talking aboutmoney/finances so taboo?
It's not.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I don't find the subject taboo at all. Most people are interested in learning how to successfully save, invest and manage money. Now if you're suggesting that people don't want to discuss the specifics of their finances (income, debt, investment balances), that I can see. It's possible to have conversations about those subjects involving percents and planning without divulging your personal finances. That subject, at least for me, is taboo.
well this is an economics forum, and folks here talk about it. but I met people around me that never talk about it. i think the average american dont talk about it. what I mean is like how much they got their car/house for, debt, future plans, etc.

when I talk to my jewish/indian/chiense friends they always talk about how much they got their car for, house, etc. some of them brag, but most dont. its more of like if they got a good deal or not.

and another example is- if I do well, and i manage my money well, and I tell them what i do to manage it, and some folks get offended, its like they feel like im being a "smartass" but i'm not, im only trying to help. some people i know are in huge debt, and i just tell them what I do, and they get offended, like i am talking about sex or something like that. some of them tell me their in debt, so they started the conversation and of course, im going to continue it, I can feel sorry for them, or i can say what I do, or i can ignore it and switch the topic, which might seem like i dont care about them.

Last edited by civic94; 04-08-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
well this is an economics forum, and folks here talk about it. but I met people around me that never talk about it. i think the average american dont talk about it. what I mean is like how much they got their car/house for, debt, future plans, etc.
Yeah, here's your problem. You're trying to get personal numbers. I'm perfectly happy to say that my mortgage payment is 17% of my household income. I will not however tell you what I paid for my home or what my household income totals. We can have a conversation about what percent of income a mortgage payment should ideally be, but I wouldn't divulge my personal finances and I suspect most others would not as well.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-08-2013 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yeah, here's your problem. Your trying to get personal numbers. I'm perfectly happy to say that my mortgage payment is 17% of my household income. I will not however tell you what I paid for my home or what my household income totals. We can have a conversation about what percent of income a mortgage payment should ideally be, but I wouldn't divulge my personal finances and I suspect most others would not as well.
well are you american?

the thing is like some folks tell me their in debt, and they know that i am doing well. they tell me that theyre in debt. I can be mean and ignore it, switch topic, or i can ask them and see where their doing wrong by getting into details. and thats what folks get offended by it. its like, dont tell me your in debt if you expect me to help you or not. and also, i can talk about % with them, such as their household net income per month and how much % of that are they paying for debt, rent, insurance, etc. but to be honest, the general population dont know about %, its much easier to use dollar amounts. Its easier to ask how much they can save per month, vs what % the can save per month, that way i can help them figure out what to do, since theyre the one that started it.

heck, just being on this forum and reading posts, my money skills gets better. im pretty sure some of the stuff on these forums, the way people talk here, its very taboo to some folks in society.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
well are you american?

the thing is like some folks tell me their in debt, and they know that i am doing well. they tell me that theyre in debt. I can be mean and ignore it, switch topic, or i can ask them and see where their doing wrong by getting into details. and thats what folks get offended by it. its like, dont tell me your in debt if you expect me to help you or not. and also, i can talk about % with them, such as their household net income per month and how much % of that are they paying for debt, rent, insurance, etc. but to be honest, the general population dont know about %, its much easier to use dollar amounts. Its easier to ask how much they can save per month, vs what % the can save per month, that way i can help them figure out what to do, since they the one that started it.

heck, just being on this forum and reading posts, my money skills gets better. im pretty sure some of the stuff on these forums, the way people talk here, its very taboo to some folks in society.
Yes, I'm American. I have no clue why that matters to this conversation, but there you go.

If you find people are offended, then you need to stop giving advice unless specifically asked to do so. Sometimes people are just venting about their issues, not asking for a financial lecture.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM

106,800 posts, read 109,039,935 times
for some reason folks will tell others about their sexual adventures and illicit affairs but heaven forbid someone knows your finances.

it really is bull-sh*t and there is no valid reason for most as to it being something that is top secreat.

unless you are living a lifestyle you can't afford or are trying to hide your financial situation for a valid reason the truth is it is much ado about nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance