Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 12:11 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
She was not with the father.

Then he was or should have been paying child support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 12:14 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You want something specific? I've had show horses all of my life and I've been around a lot of expensive horses and around really wealthy people who own expensive horses.

No one, and that is literally no one, will hire a welfare mama with a bunch of kids and an expensive 2 year degree in stable management to take care of their expensive horses.

Very few stable managers make big salaries and those are guys in charge of a hundred or so million dollar horses. They didn't get that job by going to college. They got that job by spending their entire lives taking care of horses and probably had parents who spent their entire lives taking care of horses.

The rest of the help in the stable is earning minimum wage, or less, and most of them are undocumented.

If this burger flipper mama wants to work in a stable, she doesn't need any sort of degree. She can go around stables until she can find someone who will hire her to clean stalls. But not a high chance of even that because she doesn't have horse handling experience. You can make a mistake in a stall that cripples a million dollar horse if you don't know what you are doing.

She is not on the employment track and she won't get onto the employment track by spending a lot of money to get a 2 year degree in stable management. She is not qualified to do the work at this point. Maybe after she gets a 2 year degree, she will be qualified to make $100 a week cleaning stalls.

She's wasting her time and her money for no hope of a solid return.
I agree with everything you say here. You are spot on, with the exception that she has ridden horses her whole life. Which again, if she had drive, she would have a position in that industry without college.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Her choices are; stay at home and live on the SS, stay at the job she has now or try to improve her life. Whether or not she's making a poor decision as far as career choice is an unknown at this point. It seems like she's looking to the future, trying to make a better life for her and her son. That'a not a bad thing.

So about the job she has now...
Is there room for advancement? Regular pay increases? Health insurance etc. or is it a dead end job that pays $14 an hour?
I would have suggested she utilize every social program she qualified for, show up to work on time, give it her all and do well at the company already employing her. She got two raises in 10 months.

To be fair, I was hired at this company at 24 as a single mom, my hourly wage is triple what it was 15 years ago.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Then he was or should have been paying child support.
Totally off topic... he is dead. No reason to beat that dead horse

Old 10-13-2019, 12:34 PM

5,179 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Why do we always act as if failure is a choice?

Some people are born without ability, without future-time orientation, and with a propensity for addiction. Telling them to succeed by doing X, Y, Z is like telling me to run a four minute mile by training harder and eating right.

It's not going to happen.
True, but I have relatives with the issues you described. They love to tell *me* that their poverty is caused by bad luck and the impatience of people who just can’t see how hard they’re trying. When I gently suggest they seek counseling for some of their obvious mental health issues, they get angry and deny there is anything wrong (other than the fact that it’s the middle of the month and they only have $8 in the bank).

Old 10-13-2019, 01:39 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
People who don't get educated in how to manage their finances, how to responsibly use credit cards or how to prioritize and determine what's of value and what doesn't or won't serve their goals, can get into financial trouble easily.

I think it starts with one's upbringing and what happens at home with parents or guardian(s) and how one's parents handle money. Kids model what they see and if what they see are bad financial choices or overspending or any other suboptimal financial behaviors, they will think that's normal and okay. Or, if they don't see any examples then they'll pick up habits from what they see on TV or in the media, which can be destructive to otherwise building a financial foundation.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:07 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I bet she is hoping the government will forgive collage debt.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:42 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I learned what NOT to do from watching my husband and mother. I don't want to end up in the poor house when I'm in my 70's & 80's.
The interesting thing is some people seem to be able to figure out dysfunctional patterns of their parents and other people just don't.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:43 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Her choices are; stay at home and live on the SS, stay at the job she has now or try to improve her life. Whether or not she's making a poor decision as far as career choice is an unknown at this point. It seems like she's looking to the future, trying to make a better life for her and her son. That'a not a bad thing.

So about the job she has now...
Is there room for advancement? Regular pay increases? Health insurance etc. or is it a dead end job that pays $14 an hour?
It may be a dead end job, but I think there's a good chance she's going to college to get another dead end job. We don't know for sure, but it doesn't sound like there's a lot of money to be made in stable management.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:46 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
True, but I have relatives with the issues you described. They love to tell *me* that their poverty is caused by bad luck and the impatience of people who just can’t see how hard they’re trying. When I gently suggest they seek counseling for some of their obvious mental health issues, they get angry and deny there is anything wrong (other than the fact that it’s the middle of the month and they only have $8 in the bank).
Well that’s not this girl. She may be making a misguided decision, but she works and she’s just trying to get an education to better herself and her child’s future. OP did not say anything about her spending all her money or anything like that. I agree with you about people like you described, but I feel like this woman is being beaten up but she appears to be trying to do the best she knows how to do in order to improve her circumstances . Maybe she never had anyone to guide her in career decisions. Maybe the school convinced her it was the right decision. The people that work for these private schools are like car salesman they know what to do to make a sale. And they know what to say. It’s not always the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance