Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 01:09 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,886,214 times

Advertisements

I live abroad; we have a business in China in my wife's name. Due to their visa regulations, I can't be on the business licenses, and am not legally allowed to work, either, so legally my income is 0.

I had some income from the US stock market last year, but less than the threshold for filing.

As I understand it, I don't have to file taxes because of this; however, I'm worried that next year, after we move back and work to start a business, there could be some issues because of a sudden surge in our income. Also, we want to be able to get a mortgage and possibly a business loan... we have plenty of cash in our overseas accounts but a few grand in the US accounts (plus stocks). I've already set up a corporation and LLC in the US and our intention is to start business soon after we arrive so we can post some income.

Anyone have insight into this? Will it be possible to secure loans with foreign assets if you didn't file with the IRS? What if there's no IRS filing from the previous year, but you have current bank statements and books showing an income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 11:23 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,444,498 times
You can file zero returns and generally it’s a good idea to do anyway to prevent others from fraudulently filing one and to actually start the statute of limitations.

As far as your books and records, if they’re clean they’re clean. It may draw attention that there’s a spike but if you have it documented, then it’s just a matter of answering the inquiry and proving it if it actually happens.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:31 PM

500 posts, read 573,074 times
When you say you had income from stocks, was it from selling? I skipped filing a return over a decade ago because I was living off stocks and only realized a loss for the year. The IRS contacted me and said I had to file a return for that year despite only having a loss. I had sold around $400k of stock at a net loss. In other words, I did not have any real income or realized capital gains that year.

This was about 14 years ago and I don't know if the laws have changed. At the time, brokerages only reported sales and not the cost basis. My understanding is that they now report the cost basis and the IRS now knows how much is realized.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:24 PM

6,834 posts, read 11,578,641 times
I’ve always thought if you’ve got a 1099 or W-2, you better file a return, even if the bottom line results in no tax. The IRS likes to match things up.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:56 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,824,050 times
I haven't checked the rules lately, but since you are married (even to a non-resident alien) I think you must file either a joint return or married filing separately. And, you will have to obtain a social security number or or other tax i.d. for your wife is she does not have one. I agree that you should file if you receive a 1099. I advise checking the IRS rules for someone filing in your situation.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:03 AM

130,643 posts, read 12,171,594 times
If you file a joint return with your wife, I think you will have to declare the Chinese income. (Worldwide income) You need to consult with a tax person.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:07 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,211,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I live abroad; we have a business in China in my wife's name. Due to their visa regulations, I can't be on the business licenses, and am not legally allowed to work, either, so legally my income is 0.

I had some income from the US stock market last year, but less than the threshold for filing.

As I understand it, I don't have to file taxes because of this; however, I'm worried that next year, after we move back and work to start a business, there could be some issues because of a sudden surge in our income. Also, we want to be able to get a mortgage and possibly a business loan... we have plenty of cash in our overseas accounts but a few grand in the US accounts (plus stocks). I've already set up a corporation and LLC in the US and our intention is to start business soon after we arrive so we can post some income.

Anyone have insight into this? Will it be possible to secure loans with foreign assets if you didn't file with the IRS? What if there's no IRS filing from the previous year, but you have current bank statements and books showing an income?
Based on my experience, if I were you I would file and report a small amount of income and file a 2555 form also with your 1040 to the IRS. You're not going to pay any taxes on foreign earned income unless it's over 100k USD for 2020. Don't worry about the past, but file for 2020 so your on record.

Also, you need to prepare to move money into your U.S. accounts. It's difficult to be approved for loans with money sitting in overseas accounts. It's also a pain to move money out of China to the U.S. and it's going to take time to do so, esp if you sell your apt in China and you have a good amount of money. There are annual limits to how much the China gov't allows you to send outside the country. We had to find family members and friends to help us send money out.

You can however still use your Bank of China card to buy things here in the U.S. as long as it has that Visa logo and works as a credit card and not just a debit card. I'm sure your wife probably has one. I didn't because I was a foreigner in China and they only would give me a debit card.

I would begin the process of sending money to the U.S. early instead of waiting. It's a bit of a pain in the neck

Old 12-19-2020, 06:34 PM

1,785 posts, read 1,560,700 times
There are banks that offer mortgages to new residents. I know so because I got a mortgage within weeks of arriving in the US and having never lived here before. Basically, I had a new SSN and no credit history yet I still got a mortgage based on my employment.

I would assume many major banks have such programs so you will have to do some digging to find the right contacts. If it helps, I got pre-approvals from Citi and Wells Fargo but chose WF because they offered me a slightly better rate. BTW, same rates as what they offer to those with stellar credit and not sub-prime rates. This was in 2004 and I think I got 3.875 for a 5 yr ARM, could have been less because I memory fails me.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:40 PM

10,350 posts, read 6,903,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
When you say you had income from stocks, was it from selling? I skipped filing a return over a decade ago because I was living off stocks and only realized a loss for the year. The IRS contacted me and said I had to file a return for that year despite only having a loss. I had sold around $400k of stock at a net loss. In other words, I did not have any real income or realized capital gains that year.

This was about 14 years ago and I don't know if the laws have changed. At the time, brokerages only reported sales and not the cost basis. My understanding is that they now report the cost basis and the IRS now knows how much is realized.
Did you carry that loss forward?

Old 12-20-2020, 12:29 PM

500 posts, read 573,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Did you carry that loss forward?
The loss wasn't 400k. That was the net sales. Cost basis was around 410k so loss was around 10k. So it took about 3 years to carry forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance