Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 10:49 AM

11,564 posts, read 6,041,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
and resets every year on the previous 2 years.

How bad the IRRMA will be, will depend on if and how you plan for the Medicare tax.
It's manageable if you plan. We will have extra spending power in 2024 when the IRRMA goes away.
YTMV
Are you breaking news here on CD? I thought the income adjusted Medicare premium is permanent. I can't tell if your smilie conveys happiness or that you meant it as a joke.

I don't see anything about IRMAA being temporary or sunsetting in 2024.

I would expect recent soaring inflation to raise the income limits, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 11:00 AM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Are you breaking news here on CD? I thought the income adjusted Medicare premium is permanent. I can't tell if your smilie conveys happiness or that you meant it as a joke.

I don't see anything about IRMAA being temporary or sunsetting in 2024.

I would expect recent soaring inflation to raise the income limits, however.
As MJ said, IRRMA has a 2 years look back [Implied, yearly]

Our IRRMA happened because we sold a rental without doing a 1031. The rental was a net cash flow loss because of HOA fees. We made money in the appreciation being greater than the depreciation.

IRRMA can be temporary if you do your planning. See your tax advisor-spend the money to see the horse's front end.

Old 08-09-2023, 11:06 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,071,651 times
IMO... aggressive pre-emptive "draining" is likely counterproductive for most people.

My plan is to pull only from taxable 401k, leaving Roth accounts untouched to grow. To the extent we're not being pushed into higher Medicare premiums we'll also do Roth conversions. If one or both of us lives long enough we'll get to the point where we only have Roth accounts, but that will take quite a few years.

The reasoning for leaving the Roth accounts alone are twofold. First is the case of the surviving spouse. When there's only one of us left, expenses will drop but not by half, so the survivor will be facing higher tax brackets and (likely) higher Medicare premiums. Having the Roth accounts will help in managing this. The other reason is to leave most of inheritance money in Roths (and taxable, where stepped-up basis hopefully still will apply).

Last edited by hikernut; 08-09-2023 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-09-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Our IRRMA happened because we sold a rental without doing a 1031. The rental was a net cash flow loss because of HOA fees. We made money in the appreciation being greater than the depreciation.

IRRMA can be temporary if you do your planning. See your tax advisor-spend the money to see the horse's front end.
Oh, gotcha. You were citing your personal case, and reminding us that the premiums are not permanent one raised, but varies year to year with income.

I am already subject to IRMAA and am not protected by "hold harmless". Collecting SS willl bump me a tier in Medicare premiums, so that will be for life. It is what it is.

All of the considerations you and mathjak raised are good food for thought. There is a LOT to consider, which is why poor people don't need tax attorneys.

Old 08-09-2023, 11:08 AM

26,196 posts, read 21,615,454 times
Draining 401ks and converting to Roth have similar taxation issues so how do you believe one is better than the other? It’s the post withdrawal/conversion that matters

Old 08-09-2023, 11:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
If you are not afraid of spending 24% tax + IRMMA, you must really want your Roth future benefits. (Which are substantial). Or... You want some accessible funds. In a cash flow crunch look to all options. I often borrow from myself or my LLCs to bridge needs like capital or home purchase. Interactive Brokers had the best margin rates, last I checked.

Most of us only do Roth conversions up to our tax thresholds (12% for me). Thus 3 more conversion years remain, and I'm still over 4 yrs to RMDs. That will allow ~$400k more to get into Roth. The remaining taxable will be at my effective rate (usually below 13%). Prefer 8% as effective rate

If you have charities in mind.... You can always fund a DAF during a year with high earnings. And bulk up a high deductible yr. (Losses, capital improvements to business history holdings, sect 179... accelerated depreciation) I run many tax scenarios starting in January each year, planning 1031, Roth conversions, buy and selling of appreciated assets, rebalancing assets, time sales (carrying paper) and especially tax implications.

Old 08-09-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you are not afraid of spending 24% tax + IRMMA, you must really want your Roth future benefits. (Which are substantial). Or... You want some accessible funds. In a cash flow crunch look to all options. I often borrow from myself or my LLCs to bridge needs like capital or home purchase. Interactive Brokers had the best margin rates, last I checked.

Most of us only do Roth conversions up to our tax thresholds (12% for me). Thus 3 more conversion years remain, and I'm still over 4 yrs to RMDs. That will allow ~$400k more to get into Roth. The remaining taxable will be at my effective rate (usually below 13%). Prefer 8% as effective rate

If you have charities in mind.... You can always fund a DAF during a year with high earnings. And bulk up a high deductible yr. (Losses, capital improvements to business history holdings, sect 179... accelerated depreciation) I run many tax scenarios starting in January each year, planning 1031, Roth conversions, buy and selling of appreciated assets, rebalancing assets, time sales (carrying paper) and especially tax implications.

Did I make a bad assumption that I had to convert my entire 401k to a Roth IRA? It sounds like you are saying I can convert just a portion of it, such as only $50,000?

Old 08-09-2023, 12:10 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,546,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Did I make a bad assumption that I had to convert my entire 401k to a Roth IRA? It sounds like you are saying I can convert just a portion of it, such as only $50,000?
Yes, you can do partial Roth conversions - I would think that is the most popular way that is handled to minimze tax impacts.

Old 08-09-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Yes, you can do partial Roth conversions - I would think that is the most popular way that is handled to minimze tax impacts.
Thank you. That is certainly more useful to convert a part of a 401k to a Roth. My aplogies to those who knew their stuff and were patient with my financial ignorance.

Old 08-09-2023, 03:03 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times
Quote:
OP,
Your strategy is a reasonable course of action for taxation.
Investing behavior may change between a taxable acct vs qualified accts. And change between tIRA and Roth.

Early on, I suggested this strategy to DS, to think about limiting his qualified accounts contributions (tIRA, Roth since he was 16, now 38) and favor, taxable LT holdings.
YTMV

OP, You've had a QUACK (QUalified Account ACK) realization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

There are scenarios where the most beneficial use of tIRA/401k/deferred comp distributions is to taxable NOT to Roth conversions ... the Elan Musk gambit.

If Elan Musk (imaginary) doesn't take a salary or have Earned or Unearned Income, How does EM get income?
Ever wonder why Investment Firms really push hard for personal loans?
Why Private Premium Premier Banking exists?
Why DT had/has so much debt?

The gambit: You have a lot of stock options (the better choice) or equity holdings. If you take a salary your marginal bracket would be 37%+state. If you don't take earned income your marginal tax could be 0% or something lower amount than 37%.
A young eager personal banker approaches you, Igor B., and says "If you can show you how to have more Income, pay less taxes but your fair share of taxes, maintain your wealth & assets, would you be interested?" WFA.
"And if I can do this in less than 5 minutes, actually in my experience you will recognize the strategy in 1 minute, would you be open to explore the possibilities that will benefit everyone?" WFA.

the gambit: Pledging assets against personal loans at example, 6mo Tbills + 12%. Mr Igor, all you need to do is sell only enough assets to keep the loan current. IOW, 18% interest on a $1,000,000 loan is far cheaper than 37% tax on that $1,000,000 gross earned income, Plus whatever other payroll taxes that may be imposed. Your only tax will be the capital gains in selling the asset to maintain the account with us.
YTMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance