Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 03:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
...convert a part of a 401k to a Roth
it Depends...

401k's are bit tricky and not all the same in terms of rollovers. (Depends on the custodian and contracts)

My ex-company (Fidelity holds it's IRA), required ENTIRE 401k to be 'exchanged / converted to a tIRA - "Rollover" ', rather than do multiple conversions from 401k. Thus entire 401k would need to roll to a conventional Rollover IRA (No tax obligations if you follow the rules), and THEN The 'Rollover' IRA could do Roth Conversions. But... my newest 401k also includes 80% Roth 401k funds, and I CANNOT get those funds without rolling my entire 401k, of which the Roth 401k portion would roll to a Roth IRA and the taxable to a traditional rollever tIRA.

I only keep my 401, as it has benefitical legal protection and my many choices of investment have very low fees. When I initially left employment I rolled my then existing 401k into a Rollover IRA. (It was all tIRA taxable upon withdrawal, and subject to RMD's.)

I am rolling to IRA as possible, but not terribly concerned about the remaining funds stuck in tIRA and subject to future tax rates. I will always be in the lower tax tiers (whatever they will be), but pretty safe to say us po-folks, will not get hammered or targetted for future windfall taxation. I expect 10 - 15% will be my top tax bracket throughout my lifetime. I could be wrong, but taking that risk rather than paying over 15% for IRA / 401k money that I don't need, and may never see. (Will go to heirs / my DAF).

Boglehxxds would give you more precise advice, since there are many professionals / retirees who are savvy enough to guide you. C-D is a relocation centric message board. Some people who relocate must also desire light-weight (casual) financial discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 10:13 AM

7,628 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am not aware of tax software that lets you just "practice" or run theoretical scenarios. I am hesitant to begin filing my 2023 taxes on turbotax just to run this scenario.

I suppose I can save this attempt for when I do my real taxes, then before submitting them I could add in a Roth conversion and see the difference, then erase it. I would just hate to do somethign stupid and accidentally file it that way.
Just use your 2022 turbo tax. You can enter new numbers and save it as a different file from the original. This gives you a thumb in the wind 'what if' calculation. I don't think too much is changing 2022-2023.

Also, get a fee based CPA to run the calcs for you and see if they are aware of anything else. Do this outside of tax filing season where they have time to help you do some planning.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:31 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,811,151 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, I will have to ponder how dividends and income limits and Medicare affect my financial planning.

Qualified dividends are taxed at the same rate as long term capital gains. Most public corporate dividends, and the funds or EFTs that hold them, fit the definition of qualified. Non-qualified dividends are taxed at your ordinary income rate, like interest, such as payouts from REITs. See the definitions:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/q...eddividend.asp

These distinctions have existed since 2003 and were not part of the 2017 tax act. But, the tax laws are anything but constant and I consider them all to be subject to change with limited notice.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:20 PM

11,511 posts, read 6,027,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Just use your 2022 turbo tax. You can enter new numbers and save it as a different file from the original. This gives you a thumb in the wind 'what if' calculation. I don't think too much is changing 2022-2023.

Also, get a fee based CPA to run the calcs for you and see if they are aware of anything else. Do this outside of tax filing season where they have time to help you do some planning.
Good point. I have already filed so it should not ask me to file. Thanks. Will try.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:40 AM

3,055 posts, read 3,324,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

AFAIK from 2022-2023 the numbers for the brackets may have changed. You should get that from IRS.

May depend where your numbers fall in the brackets.

Maybe try IRS estimated tax calculator & forms for estimated tax.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:22 AM

7,628 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
AFAIK from 2022-2023 the numbers for the brackets may have changed. You should get that from IRS.

May depend where your numbers fall in the brackets.

Maybe try IRS estimated tax calculator & forms for estimated tax.

Yes, they have changed. But, probably will not have a material impact on his calculation. That's why I said "thumb in the wind" estimate. I also said to see a CPA to find out what you are missing in your planning.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:17 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
I am not aware of tax software that lets you just "practice" or run theoretical scenarios. I am hesitant to begin filing my 2023 taxes on turbotax just to run this scenario.

I suppose I can save this attempt for when I do my real taxes, then before submitting them I could add in a Roth conversion and see the difference, then erase it. I would just hate to do somethign stupid and accidentally file it that way.
Try out Tax Caster. It’s an Intuit program to determine your tax burden based on your entries. I use it all the time since my hubby is 100% commission and our tax bill is a moving target.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:42 PM

6,765 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Try out Tax Caster. It’s an Intuit program to determine your tax burden based on your entries. I use it all the time since my hubby is 100% commission and our tax bill is a moving target.
+1

Yup, I use TaxCaster for hypotheticals.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool...ors/taxcaster/

Also available as an app for Apple devices (probably Android too, but I couldn't say for certain). I like the user interface for the app better than the web version.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:25 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
If you are a w2 employee and like most take the standard deduction getting a rough idea in 2-5 minutes is pretty easy to do.

100k gross income MFJ taxing the standard deduction is 27.7k leaving 72.3k taxable

72.3k - 20.5k = 51.8k * .12 = 6.2k + 2k +/- = 8.2k in federal liability

If you do Roth conversions add the amount to 100k and start the process over

200k gross minus 27.7k, 172.3k taxable
172.3k - 83.5k = 88.8k * .22 = 19.54k + 9.6k = 29.14k I’m federal liability

It’s rough but not hard to narrow in
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...e-tax-brackets

Old 08-27-2023, 12:51 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Sound idea.

Lets say you convert $200,000 from a 401k to a Roth IRA. What is the tax impact of that? How much cash would I need to have on hand for a nominal 24% tax bracket to pay for taxes on that?
I can't see the benefit in that as you pay the full tax as you convert anyway? Six of one....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance