Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 10:14 PM

4,882 posts, read 4,827,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Why would I get a penalty? My employer takes out the taxes for me. I claim two dependents (I have two kids). They figure out the rest. If it’s too little, it’s not my fault. Either way, they get their money on April 15. I’m just paying what I would have been paying all along.

You could not be more wrong. Your employer is only responsible for withholding consistent with what you enter on your w-4. You are responsible for everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 07:36 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,159,493 times
You can’t always use your last year’s taxes to predict.

You might have investments that affect the current year. You might sell your home/property and get a big tax bill. You might decide to get a new mortgage or have big health bills.

This is especially true for retirees and business people.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:03 PM

37,680 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Avoid a Penalty
To avoid a penalty, pay your correct estimated taxes on time. Find how to figure and pay estimated taxes.

You may avoid the Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals Penalty if:

Your filed tax return shows you owe less than $1,000 or
You paid at least 90% of the tax shown on the return for the taxable year or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year, whichever amount is less

If you "let the employer do it" you could run into problems. Your employer may have a chart that shows what the exemptions mean for withholding.

Depends if/when you have interest, dividend, capital gain income to add to your pay.

Well that's the "rule", but generally, if you are submitting tax payments regularly throughout the year, you are not going to get penalized. I had a tax bill of more than $1k last year, and my payments totaled less than 90% of the liability for the prior year. Same was true of the previous year.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:06 PM

2,755 posts, read 1,792,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well that's the "rule", but generally, if you are submitting tax payments regularly throughout the year, you are not going to get penalized. I had a tax bill of more than $1k last year, and my payments totaled less than 90% of the liability for the prior year. Same was true of the previous year.
Submitting payments regularly throughout the year is meaningless if you don’t meet one of the safe harbors. Are mistakes made where penalties aren’t assessed when they should be? Absolutely, doesn’t mean it won’t happen the next time.

You said the payments didn’t equal 90% of the prior year. That isn’t the safe harbor, it’s 90% of the current year. Did you meet that threshold possibly?

Old 08-29-2023, 09:03 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,718,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You can’t always use your last year’s taxes to predict.

You might have investments that affect the current year. You might sell your home/property and get a big tax bill. You might decide to get a new mortgage or have big health bills.

This is especially true for retirees and business people.
I didn’t suggest using last years taxes to predict anything in the current year, but thanks for the refresher. I really needed it. Instead, I said you should base your estimated taxes on your prior year liability, and thus you can avoid the issues that you were alluding to.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:16 AM

3,290 posts, read 2,371,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
You could not be more wrong. Your employer is only responsible for withholding consistent with what you enter on your w-4. You are responsible for everything else.
I’m not sure what you are talking about. Me, my wife or us as a married couple have never been penalized. We both tell our employers that we file jointly and have two dependents. Been doing this for over 20 years. I think we are doing it right and not sure what you are talking about. We are doing just fine. Thanks anyway.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:20 AM

26,196 posts, read 21,648,735 times
Quote:
I’m not sure what you are talking about. Me, my wife or us as a married couple have never been penalized. We both tell our employers that we file jointly and have two dependents. Been doing this for over 20 years. I think we are doing it right and not sure what you are talking about. We are doing just fine. Thanks anyway.
Do you disclose all your income to your employers? I doubt it. What you are doing is now working through the w4 which is more involved now in the last few years than it used to be. All the information is self reported, based on estimates and not verified. If your numbers are off it’s all on you and you’d be subject to penalty, that’s mostly what the other poster is referencing

Old 09-02-2023, 08:38 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,523,940 times
Quote:
That surprises me. I had assumed that all workers use the W-4.

Your employer has no business knowing how you plan to file your taxes [Single, Married Joint, or Head of Household], or how many dependents you have.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:55 AM

26,196 posts, read 21,648,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That surprises me. I had assumed that all workers use the W-4.

Your employer has no business knowing how you plan to file your taxes [Single, Married Joint, or Head of Household], or how many dependents you have.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Last edited by Lizap; 09-02-2023 at 12:33 PM..

Old 09-02-2023, 09:06 AM

10,785 posts, read 5,718,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Moderator Cut

Marital status and allowances have been on the W-4 going back at least to 1987 (I didn’t look earlier).

Last edited by Lizap; 09-02-2023 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance