Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 10:57 AM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times

Advertisements

So my sister's husband just died and she has to figure out financial stuff for the first time in eons. She was shocked to learn how tax brackets work.

Do YOU know how tax brackets work? I think it's disturbing how many people have no clue how it works. I made my daughter fill out her first tax return by hand so she understands how it all works.

I suppose on the personal finance forum, the percentage who know how they work would be higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 11:29 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,336,606 times
Seems like their is an educational flaw in the high schools if most do not understand a simple concept.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:45 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
Tax brackets are a critical part of my tax forecasting, as well as the Qualified Dividend and Capital Gains worksheet. I would advise your SIL to download the 1040 instruction book from the IRS web site and look at the various worksheets and info inside.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:45 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
I know how they work but if guess the majority of adults don’t. Most tax filers are w2 earners and can ballpark their federal liability within 2-3 minutes if they understood it

Old 08-23-2023, 12:17 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
In my working years, whenever taxes were discussed, I was constantly amazed at the number of "adults" who had no understanding of tax brackets, or withholding taxes on bonus or overtime income.

Also pained me to see the 20-something wage earning renters paying the H&R Blocks to do their taxes every year. Once maybe OK, after that its "copy and paste". They just would not listen.

IMHO schools should teach tax filing like they (used to anyway) do driving training. Everybody needs it.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
In my working years, whenever taxes were discussed, I was constantly amazed at the number of "adults" who had no understanding of tax brackets, or withholding taxes on bonus or overtime income.

Also pained me to see the 20-something wage earning renters paying the H&R Blocks to do their taxes every year. Once maybe OK, after that its "copy and paste". They just would not listen.

IMHO schools should teach tax filing like they (used to anyway) do driving training. Everybody needs it.
Well bonus income as well as overtime income isn’t taxed any different than normal wages

Old 08-23-2023, 02:04 PM

1,097 posts, read 642,625 times
I do. I use the internet to learn things. Also a foreign concept to some.

Last edited by akrausz; 08-23-2023 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-23-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Tax brackets are a critical part of my tax forecasting, as well as the Qualified Dividend and Capital Gains worksheet. I would advise your SIL to download the 1040 instruction book from the IRS web site and look at the various worksheets and info inside.
Agree. I know way ahead of time how much I will pay because I estimate. Our income varies a lot depending on when we sell company stock, etc. so I do an analysis ahead so I make sure I have the cash because I am not required to make quarterly payments as long as I A) pay all I owe by April 15 and B) pay the tiny penalty.

Old 08-23-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

Well, here's the thing. They do teach this in high school but I think you only start to get it when you file your first returns. My daughter learned it in high school consumer ed but really got it when I made her do it by hand.

I think hiring someone or doing it on turbo tax or other software is a mistake when you are first learning. But I was a financial analyst so I enjoy doing that kind of analysis.

Old 08-23-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well bonus income as well as overtime income isn’t taxed any different than normal wages
It's not taxed differently but the withholding is different.

What amazes me is people not understanding that it makes no difference what is withheld. You owe what you owe. They only look at the amount due on April 15, not what their tax liability is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance