Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 04:38 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowsIvy View Post
I have been contemplating my next venture for a while...quite stressful mindset to be honest. However unfortunately my stepdad passed and he has left me all he has, which includes a house. He owes vicinity of 180k(I believe but not 100 percent)...none the less I am contemplating turning this into an Airbnb. As a novice, does anyone have any general advice? I believe I have researched enough to know a good amount however maybe some personal experiences would be good to hear.

He has also left a pretty new truck...would it be a good recommendation to use the sale of that truck as payment for the mortgage if the Airbnb was started in the slower part of the season? I currently dont owe on my house or vehicle, I only owe on a piece of equipment.

Thank you in advance.
Not easy to deal with people
Do you live in the same locale?

What is your township’s regulations regarding short term rentals ? In some towns you must live in the same house and only allowed to rent 1 room?

-does your homeowners allow it?
What is your liability level? You may need to up it?

How would it affect your income taxes - us it worth it?

-do you have a plumber, electrician, HVAC person?

-do you have free cash for unexpected repairs, accidents?

Do you have a lawyer - in case you have to evict your guests who took over your place and wouldn’t leave?

These are issues to ponder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 04:50 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I have to agree with this one. Can't imagine the primary bedroom of a short term rental having twin beds. Having better/bigger beds and TVs among other things will help occupancy in a competitive market.
I am sure the host described the size of the beds and the couple accepted it when booking?
So why the complaint after?

Old 09-24-2023, 08:21 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowsIvy View Post
He owes vicinity of 180k(I believe but not 100 percent)...none the less I am contemplating turning this into an Airbnb. As a novice, does anyone have any general advice?
Airbnb's can be great investments if they are unique properties located in desirable resort areas, but 90% of the Airbnb's do not come close this meeting these requirements. Where is your property located, and what make you believed people would rather stay at your property then as a hotel.

Also as someone pointed out, new normal renters for your property can be challenging to deal with at times, and that's once once a year or every few years if they extend the lease, just imagine dealing with new renters every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance