Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 06:39 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
I buy a lot of cars, too many according to my wife, I've never heard of so many suspension issues. Control arms don't just fail, struts should get you at least 60K miles, battery in Phoenix will need replace every ~3 years, fuel pump is a toss up - it's an electrical component that can fail, A/C compressor may just need recharging. Throw up a picture of your Accord - we owned one for 7 years and was the most reliable vehicle ever owned.

Once out of factory warranty - don't go to Honda for repairs.
The older Accords were very reliable. I see more 8th and 9th generation Accords on the street than I do the 10th gen, my gen Accord.

One of my coworkers also has a 10th generation Accord and has had to do more than the regular maintenance on his. He's had a few issues with his car but it's still under warranty.

As for my car and repairs, I don't plan on doing anything more with it besides an oil change until I can dump it. When I hear back from Honda if they accept or deny goodwill assistance, I'll act... accordingly. If they offer 100% assistance, I'll get it fixed, if not, then nope, I'll drive it till the wheels fall off, which at the rate things are going with this turd car, might be pretty soon.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:11 AM

350 posts, read 196,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yep. I plan on doing so next year. I'm trying not to dip into my savings so I'll use my tax refund, which is usually around $4k plus my trade in to get a good deal on something else.

I'm just incredibly disappointed, and disgusted, with the build quality of my Accord. Right before the warranty expired I was having a panic attack about driving around a car without the warranty and was going to just trade it in. Turns out my fears were genuine after all.
What a nightmare.

It all depends on if you actually NEED-NEED a reliable car for example, for work. And you may get a good price since used cars are still in demand it seems.

A couple of years ago, I had a dud Kia Soul with a recall that they really never fixed with sludge in the engine and kicking off the check engine light with [free] repairs 8 times in the second year I had it. It would be in the shop for two weeks at a time! Yes they gave me a loaner.

I NEEDED that car 100% to operate my business so on Christmas Eve check engine light #8 I threw it back at the dealer and traded it for a Toyota Corolla.

That was a good car - my kid drove one into the ground during college - but I hated driving it. I don't know how he lived with that car at 6'3 MY head hit the ceiling and I'm 5'6. The interior size, cramped, low to the ground, and the fact you get no respect on the road in Jacksonville Florida wih the worst drivers in the world....so when I moved to a WALKABLE neighborhood and shut down my business, I sold it to CarMax who gave me a good no hassle price.

That lasted all of a month and I was on the hunt to buy a new car.

EXCEPT IN FLORIDA, THEY'RE ADDING $4000 IN DEALER FEES ON TOP OF $900 DOC FEES AND I WAS NOT ABOUT TO PAY THAT!!

So this trade of yours? Check it out.

I went the USED car route with a one-year-old tiny Chevy Spark for $17K which I had never even heard of till I rented one from Budget...but it's NOT cramped and it's fun to drive, still under dealer warranty, and bought the extended end to end 5 year warranty. It was a dealer loaner. I bought it from a dealer called Mullinex who advertises "you pay the sticker and no extra fees" which made it really easy. I thought about buying a new car from them but didn't want the hassle, fear, expense and they were all LARGE SUVs not conducive to this urban-ish neighborhood I live in now - overkill for me even though I always had Broncos.

Weirdly I think people think it's cute because they don't give me the hassle like in the Corolla - wherein idiots just REFUSE to even let you back out of a parking space or cut you off for kicks. Go figure. So even though the White Pick-up Contigent is the most obnoxious of them ALL here, I can understand everyone driving one I guess. So they can race up I-95 going 100 MPH to the next oil-tanker-flaming-explosion-25-car-backup guaranteed to be just a few miles away.

OR to avoid the next time being the vehicle who LITERALLY gets PUSHED off a bridge 65 Feet down into the St. Johns River while at a full stop minding their own business - I kid you not - that just happened. And the person who PUSHED the poor chump off the bridge? THE JACKSONVILLE RANGER county employee who gets paid to ASSIST drivers with problems. LOL. Couldn't make that UP.

Last edited by jaxrivers; 09-18-2023 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-18-2023, 09:31 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
The older Accords were very reliable. I see more 8th and 9th generation Accords on the street than I do the 10th gen, my gen Accord.

One of my coworkers also has a 10th generation Accord and has had to do more than the regular maintenance on his. He's had a few issues with his car but it's still under warranty.

As for my car and repairs, I don't plan on doing anything more with it besides an oil change until I can dump it. When I hear back from Honda if they accept or deny goodwill assistance, I'll act... accordingly. If they offer 100% assistance, I'll get it fixed, if not, then nope, I'll drive it till the wheels fall off, which at the rate things are going with this turd car, might be pretty soon.

You should be in the automotive section with this, as never have I seen this many suspension issues on a new car. Have they been using the same OEM parts?, if so; try Moog or another higher end.
And how do you know your AC compressor is failing?.
Again, if you're going to keep this lemon; try automotive using a new thread.
However, from the financial end; if you're going to trade it in...do it when dealers are desperate.
Very few consumers purchase new vehicles during the holidays, so try and hold off a few more months if possible for those end of the year deals.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
What a nightmare.

It all depends on if you actually NEED-NEED a reliable car for example, for work. And you may get a good price since used cars are still in demand it seems.

A couple of years ago, I had a dud Kia Soul with a recall that they really never fixed with sludge in the engine and kicking off the check engine light with [free] repairs 8 times in the second year I had it. It would be in the shop for two weeks at a time! Yes they gave me a loaner.

I NEEDED that car 100% to operate my business so on Christmas Eve check engine light #8 I threw it back at the dealer and traded it for a Toyota Corolla.

That was a good car - my kid drove one into the ground during college - but I hated driving it. I don't know how he lived with that car at 6'3 MY head hit the ceiling and I'm 5'6. The interior size, cramped, low to the ground, and the fact you get no respect on the road in Jacksonville Florida wih the worst drivers in the world....so when I moved to a WALKABLE neighborhood and shut down my business, I sold it to CarMax who gave me a good no hassle price.

That lasted all of a month and I was on the hunt to buy a new car.

EXCEPT IN FLORIDA, THEY'RE ADDING $4000 IN DEALER FEES ON TOP OF $900 DOC FEES AND I WAS NOT ABOUT TO PAY THAT!!

So this trade of yours? Check it out.

I went the USED car route with a one-year-old tiny Chevy Spark for $17K which I had never even heard of till I rented one from Budget...but it's NOT cramped and it's fun to drive, still under dealer warranty, and bought the extended end to end 5 year warranty. It was a dealer loaner. I bought it from a dealer called Mullinex who advertises "you pay the sticker and no extra fees" which made it really easy. I thought about buying a new car from them but didn't want the hassle, fear, expense and they were all LARGE SUVs not conducive to this urban-ish neighborhood I live in now - overkill for me even though I always had Broncos.

Weirdly I think people think it's cute because they don't give me the hassle like in the Corolla - wherein idiots just REFUSE to even let you back out of a parking space or cut you off for kicks. Go figure. So even though the White Pick-up Contigent is the most obnoxious of them ALL here, I can understand everyone driving one I guess. So they can race up I-95 going 100 MPH to the next oil-tanker-flaming-explosion-25-car-backup guaranteed to be just a few miles away.

OR to avoid the next time being the vehicle who LITERALLY gets PUSHED off a bridge 65 Feet down into the St. Johns River while at a full stop minding their own business - I kid you not - that just happened. And the person who PUSHED the poor chump off the bridge? THE JACKSONVILLE RANGER county employee who gets paid to ASSIST drivers with problems. LOL. Couldn't make that UP.
Holy smokes!

I'm going to go the new car route. I plan on buying something from Hyundai, because of the huge warranty. I need a reliable car for work because where I live, public transportation is much to be desired. Not only that but if I pay more than half for the new car up front, I can get on the 0% financing through Hyundai and have very similar payments.

I guess I can look into a used car but once again, I'm worried about reliability. Buying a used car means a much higher apr plus I'd need to buy one if those questionable extended warranties.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
You should be in the automotive section with this, as never have I seen this many suspension issues on a new car. Have they been using the same OEM parts?, if so; try Moog or another higher end.
And how do you know your AC compressor is failing?.
Again, if you're going to keep this lemon; try automotive using a new thread.
However, from the financial end; if you're going to trade it in...do it when dealers are desperate.
Very few consumers purchase new vehicles during the holidays, so try and hold off a few more months if possible for those end of the year deals.
Yes, all the work done has been at the dealership, so OEM parts were used. As for the AC compressor, it will occasionally make strange noises and the air fluctuates between cold and not so cold. When I had a technician look into it, he said that it's showing signs of leaks and that it probably won't last through next summer.

I plan on actively car shopping in March.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:53 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Hi! I bought a 2020 Honda Accord back in 2020. I have had nothing but mechanical issues since day one with this car. 3 months ago the manufacturer warranty expired and I've been dumping money into repairs ever since.

At first I was making double and sometimes triple payments onto the car just to pay it off. Last month I got a pretty good bonus from work, which amounted to around $3k, of which I used to pay down the car. This year alone I've payed it down from $15k all the way to $6k.

Then the warranty expired and I'm having to divert all the funds to costly repairs.

Since day one I have had to bring this car into the dealership for countless repairs.

I have already had the suspension system replaced part by part.

First it was the front and rear struts. Then the front control arms.

Two months later it was the fuel pump and battery.

Shortly after that it was the rear control arms and shocks.

Now that the warranty expired, I've had to pay for the rear struts, again, plus the cv boots. This cost me around $1000 after Honda did a "goodwill" assistance, which covered half.

Yesterday I had to take it back because the driverside strut broke again. 13 months after they had replaced it. Just for parts and labor it will come out to $1200 and I'm told Honda most likely will not allow another goodwill assistance. I asked about warranty on the parts and labor they performed last July and I was told that it ends when the original manufacturer warranty expires.

My A/C compressor is also showing signs of failure. This will be a near future repair of around $2k.

And yesterday I decided that I was going to cut my losses and just trade the car in next year.

I know it's probably not the best financial decision I can make, but I feel that I'm just throwing good money after bad.

Right now I can get around $24k in trade in value for the car. I have substantial savings so I can use some of that to offset the car I'll be buying.

I figured I'd post here and see if I am making a terrible financial decision. However, I also want a reliable vehicle that won't break down on me.

Does it make sense to do this or should I just pay my Honda off and plan on making regular expensive repairs?

I should also add that, I baby this car. I was it every couple months. Hand wash it, use premium fuel, drive it with the utmost care and maintain it to the letter of Hondas recommendations.
Trade in your 2020 accord for the nicest 2016 on the lot. If the amount is over $24k, which it won’t, then pay.

A low mileage 2016 accord will be gold for you. You got a rare lemon. Enjoy the lack or repairs and extra money in your pocket,

Old 09-18-2023, 12:53 PM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times
This doesn't make any sense at all. I've owned over 2 dozen cars and rarely had any strut failures this soon. Struts usually last as much as 100k miles of regular driving as long as they are not being worn by bad roads and heavy cargo. Most Honda struts should last up to 100k miles atleast and control arms will go bad if they were in very salty and flood prone places that are rusted out or rode through bad roads.

This sounds like a flooded car being sold as new or used. This does happen at some dealership was busted for title washing cars that were flood damage and being sold as new cars.

Old 09-18-2023, 01:05 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Folks, keep in mind the OP's question, pertaining to personal finance. Non-related comments should be directed to the Automotive forum.

Does it make sense to do this or should I just pay my Honda off and plan on making regular expensive repairs?

Old 09-19-2023, 08:34 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Since we can't seem to keep posts related to personal finance, I'm closing this thread. Feel free to visit the Automotive forum for furthur discussion.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...d-costing.html

Last edited by Lizap; 09-19-2023 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance