Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
It is fairly easy to become a millionaire.

Becoming a billionaire is not easy to do.
Not based on the percent of the population that are millionaires...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,510,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Not based on the percent of the population that are millionaires...........
Most people wil notl do what the millionaires will do to achieve the goal. Most people aren't willing to sacrifice and wait. People don't have patience and have proper education.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
What makes you a millionaire?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,510,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What makes you a millionaire?

Net assets.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 AM

106,732 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
The real problem is not earning. It is the spending.

Be frugal and have a plan. Quit spending on things you don't need.
the truth is except for basic food ,shelter and clothing there isnt much we really need. all the other things just make life a whole lot better or more fun. im a saver and it pains me to buy certain things .

i like money for the security and feeling of being under my own control .

my wife is a spender,she likes money for the things money can buy.

who is right? both of us. money means different things to different people and hoarding it and saving it isnt something everyone wants to do and thats okay as long as their bills and goals are being met.

im trying to be more like her at this stage.

we know people who enjoy earning money for neither of the above. for them they like making money more than the things money buys. for them its the art of the deal or investing and being right.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
The real problem is not earning. It is the spending.

Be frugal and have a plan. Quit spending on things you don't need.
Agreed.
It's not about what you make.
It's about how you save.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:41 AM

its not about what you save either. wealth is not created from what we manage to save from our pay checks at the end of the day.

wealth is created by investing and compounding of capital gains on that money we manage to save .

the 100k i invested in 1987 from the sale of a property has compounded to 1.2 million today in my market investments without adding a penny.

the wealth compounding now can generate more in some years in income then we even earn working .

just throwing what you save from a pay check into a bank or a bad or incompleate investment plan will never create wealth. you my save a few bucks up but real wealth will never be had.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Not what...I said HOW.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 AM

the how by reducing spending is only trinkets in the scheme of things. its how those trinkets are invested so they compound greatly over decades that matters.

my point is you can save by cutting spending as much as you can and end up with a relatively small nest egg decades later if just left in a bank.

or you dont have to cut spending as much and invest much more effectively and come out much further ahead.

you always hear people say out of habbit its not what you earn but what you spend and i say it may not be true. a penny saved can be a penny forever.

its what you manage to save and mostly what you do with it thats going to matter. kind of like when people say practice makes perfect and i say bull. its perfect practice that makes perfect.

im not one who belives many sayings are really accurate.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-04-2012 at 06:37 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 AM

837 posts, read 1,799,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the how by reducing spending is only trinkets in the scheme of things. its how those trinkets are invested so they compound greatly over decades that matters.

my point is you can save by cutting spending as much as you can and end up with a relatively small nest egg decades later if just left in a bank.

or you dont have to cut spending as much and invest much more effectively and come out much further ahead.

you always hear people say out of habbit its not what you earn but what you spend and i say it may not be true. a penny saved is a penny maybe forever.

its what you manage to save and mostly what you do with it thats going to matter. kind of like when people say practice makes perfect and i say bull. its perfect practice that makes perfect.

im not one who belives many sayings are really accurate.
So to summarize, investing money helps. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance