Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:58 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,321 times

Advertisements

In my home my husband calls me the self appointed CEO. We're a single income household. We've been a single income household for a little over 3 years basically since I had my daughter.

I handle the budget and manage the finances. We have so much allocated for Food, Gifts, Gas, Misc.

We save all our receipts and everytime something is spent we subtract from the specific category allocated. If we go over a specific category we take from the other.

It's a pretty tight budget and it gets frustrating to him and I. However, It enables us to save money every month and to put money towards retirement and savings.

Does anyone else want to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 03:09 PM

652 posts, read 2,663,662 times
We are a single income household also.
We do things similar to how you do it but it is kind of split.

DH takes care of the "regular bills" anything that is month to month. Also vacation money and investments.

I take care of basic day to day expenses, kids extracurricular, savings, drs, newspapers, etc.

This has worked out well. We used to have a discussion about every 3 monts but have been about a yr behind in that. oops We moved a little over a yr ago and have been behind in our discussions.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:26 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,321 times
I try to have discussions about the budget with my husband but I swear his eyes glaze over. Before we became a single income household we didn't keep track of spending.

Now, since we have to keep track of spending, He justs asks if we have money for this or that. If the answer is no, then we have a discussion.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
It's just me and hubby, we are in our early 30s. We both work though he makes more than I do. I handle all the finances, savings etc. We both get an allowance and everything else we just play it by ear. I make sure a certain amount is saved every month. It works for us. It's frustrating b'c hubby has a DVD and Lego-buying habit and we go "over" our allowance sometimes which can get frustrating but I can't complain. If that's his worse attribute, I consider myself lucky!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:44 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
I am also the money manager in our home. Both of us work. We own our own business and sub-contract to other businesses. If he needs something, he asks me if we can afford it. Usually what he asks for is if we can take on another loan for a piece of equipment. We live on a budget and it seems to work fine. Yet, with things going sky high, I can see our money does not go as far as it once did.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:06 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I handle the money. We both work. We budget but don't live like cavemen either. You need to enjoy life because you never know what will happen. My good friend finally got pregnant and had her son. Guess what??? One month later she found out she has Lupus and it's not looking good

Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 AM

73 posts, read 320,452 times
Bills are pretty easy now - My wife takes care of them!! Haha, I get too stressed when trying to figure that out myself, but...

A couple months ago, I really looked into our finances, and went off the the deep end. Tracked the last 6 months or so, put them into pretty specific catagories, made a budget, tried sticking to it.. it was a real pain.

Then we got a calendar, tracked when our bills hit and how much they do. We put our money into four really broad categories: bills, living, extras and savings. The bills are well, the bill money, the living is groceries, gas, anything else we might really incur. Extras are clothing shopping, wants, toys (recovering LEGO habit here too). The savings category is all extra debt reduction and savings. They are prioritized just like that, too.

We talked about what we wanted to do, like get the extra money to save for a house, (maybe) take a vacation in '10, ect. She knows my goals and doesn't gripe when I ask to put more into savings.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:30 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,607 times
In my household my wife and I both work. I manage the long-term, general household finances while my wife handles the day to day.

Essentially, I create a budget (with input from my wife), savings plan/goal (long-term/short-term/emergency), and manage tax issues, while my wife takes the money (as cash) allocated and does whatever purchases she needs for groceries, supplies, daycare, health-care, and pays the bills (a lot of them are automated or electronically filed - with most of them going on the credit card so we can review the charges before paying them).

My wife is really good at keeping track of the check book and planning our spending, while I use MS Money to track all of our accounts and credit card purchases.

The budget has an allocation for each of us to have a small allowance so that we can spend/save and buy whatever we like (we have two additional accounts in our bank for this purpose). This way I can't complain about any of her personal purchases and she can't complain about mine. Major purchases we have a discussion, and decide whether we need to save for it, or use short-term savings for it.

It has worked out pretty good so far, and we've been sticking to the budget fairly well.

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 10-07-2008 at 05:42 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 05:48 PM

139 posts, read 723,904 times
My husband does everything. I haven't seen a bill or touched a check in 12 years . He has a budget but generally our attitude is, "Don't buy it." The only thing that drives me crazy is that he is way too cheap on things like moving to a safer neighborhood, which we could afford, or making necessary house repairs. If the roof hasn't caved in, the house is fine, right? He grew up in public housing and has no concept of home ownership or upkeep.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,190 times
DH and I had a finance discussion last night - and I could tell he was uncomfortable . I pay the bills - we have separate checking accts - and he gives me money on payday.

Basically, we have almost zero in savings and I am becoming very uncomfortable with that. I feel cash is king right now. DH and I talked about budgeting (lol - we as a couple don't do this, I do budget for the bills) setting up allowances and charging our 23 year old 'rent'. I really got no commitments from him but typically he has to sit on the information for a few days.

So our finances are fine right now, but I feel like I bear all the burdon and I need DH to commit to paying towards savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance