Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times

Advertisements

I guess I should have known this would happen.

During the 10 years that we've been banking with JPMorganChase, they have always had a "tiered" interest rate for savings accounts. If your balance was less than $49,999 you got a certain rate, which was the lowest tier. If your balance was in the next highest category ($50K to $100K) you were entitled to a slightly higher rate. Ditto up the ladder from 101K to 250K. The top rung was balances over 500K which got the highest rate.

Well, not anymore.

Chase has just this past week elimated the tiered interest rate on savings accounts. Now, all savings accounts with balances between $50,000 and $999,999 get the same (lousy!) rate of 1.85%. In order to get anything higher, you have to have at least 1 million in the account.

I sarcastically asked our banker if this is Chase's way of having all their customers who are "savers" help to subsidize the bank's acquisition of Washington Mutual. She said she wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Unfortunately my SO and I are in a situation right now where we have to keep all of our money 100% liquid, so we can't even use a CD to get a higher rate.

Anyway, I was just curious if any other banks have done the same thing recently (eliminated the perk of getting a higher interest rate on higher-balance savings accounts)? Or was Chase simply the 'last bank standing' to still have retained the tiered system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:28 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Just switch the funds to EmigrantDirect and/or Ing. Your money will be as liquid, but with a better rate. The free market works by people seeking out the best deals. Loyalty is so 19th Century.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
You could even look into OnBank with a 3.60% rate.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:03 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Just switch the funds to EmigrantDirect and/or Ing. Your money will be as liquid, but with a better rate. The free market works by people seeking out the best deals. Loyalty is so 19th Century.
Our choice of Chase has nothing to do with brand loyalty; up till now, they have simply always offered the best rates in our area on savings and CDs. Occasionally there were times when other banks (such as WaMu, ironically!) were offering promotional deals on certain accounts, and almost every time when we took evidence of those deals to our banker at Chase, she was able to get us a matching rate. When she couldn't do so, we simply moved part of our money to the competing bank until such time as their advantage no longer existed; then back it went to Chase again.

In today's market, Chase is one of only two very large stable banks in our area (the other is Bank of America but only by virtue of having gobbled up a smaller regional bank, Fleet, a few years ago... which had previously gobbled up a local bank called Norstar) so we feel most comfortable with them anyway.

As for internet banking I'm not ashamed to admit that neither my SO nor I have ever felt comfortable with that idea. I know that millions of people use them, etc etc, but there are certain things that we just WILL NOT do because we're just not comfortable with the security issues. Putting any kind of bank information, or any part of a SS number, onto any website whatsover is one of them. There have been enough security breaches of banks and investment companies to make it certain that I'd lose sleep at night if any of my money was in an online account.

Anyway my original question wasn't a complaint about how much we are getting in interest; it was a query about whether anyone else's bank has eliminated the tiered-interest-rate on savings in favor of a single rate regardless of whether the depositor has a low or high balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance