Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,650 times

Advertisements

I figure I would post in this forum, because well, it is a money question.
So I am interested in going to the University of Texas Austin either next year, or the year after. I am currently a college student in Colorado, but I might be able to get in state tuition fees there. So I am looking for some advice on loans, and any other advice thay you sages can give me. Where can I get a loan, what is the best kind, how do I apply? Thanks folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM

anyone?

Old 11-19-2008, 12:51 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
I'd recommend talking to the Univ of Austin Financial Aid Dept. Actually pick up the phone and call them.

You should also look into what the requirements are for being a resident.

You say you're already going to school in CO. Ever filled out a FAFSA? Ever looked into Federal Direct Loans?

Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times
This is a total different road to take, but possibly the Army national guard in Texas, only 1 wknd a month and they have college fund programs that beat all, but then again you have an obligation with uncle sam.. Good Luck either way, education is power.....

Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 PM

I have looked into what the requirements for residency are, all I would need to do, is transfer to a unit in the Austin area, and get a letter from my C.O. saying that I am stationed there, and I can be called a resident. My G.I. bill, will take care of the vast majority of my tuition, so all I would really need, is the room and board taken care of, which I was thinking of getting a loan for. What is a Federal direct loan? I have filled out a FAFSA, (stupid soul sucking pain in the but is what that is) I think I got approved for about a 4,000 dollar loan, and that is more than enough to take care of what I needed out here. Will the loan amount go up if I transfer schools, to one that cost more to go to?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:12 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
I have looked into what the requirements for residency are, all I would need to do, is transfer to a unit in the Austin area, and get a letter from my C.O. saying that I am stationed there, and I can be called a resident. My G.I. bill, will take care of the vast majority of my tuition, so all I would really need, is the room and board taken care of, which I was thinking of getting a loan for. What is a Federal direct loan? I have filled out a FAFSA, (stupid soul sucking pain in the but is what that is) I think I got approved for about a 4,000 dollar loan, and that is more than enough to take care of what I needed out here. Will the loan amount go up if I transfer schools, to one that cost more to go to?
Yes, your loan amount is determined by the school and the cost of education at that school. I answered you on the Education forum and told you to fill out the FAFSA (which you have done), have them send a copy to the school you want to go to, apply for admission at the school you want to go to, and then the financial aid office at that school will process your financial aid and let you know what they are offering you interms of grants and/or loans.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I answered you on the Education forum and told you to fill out the FAFSA (which you have done),
I saw your reply in the Education forum, I just figured I would post this in both forums, because some people might have an interest in all things educational, and not look at personal finances. Or May be all about the personal finance and not ever look in the education forums. Just trying to cover all my bases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance