Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
They probably thought you made a mistake and they were trying to save you a hassle -- a corporate account isn't a personal bank account. A tax refund is a personal check -- not tied to a business transaction.

I know at least on my business account all the money that goes into it is accountable on my taxes as income... and our tax refund (should we get one) goes into our personal account.

If you really want it in your corporate bank account, take it in and present it for deposit. If the teller needs to take it up the line for approval, you'll be there to explain why you want to do this, and they will tell you if they can or not....
Maybe it depends on the TYPE of tax refund. We get small tax refunds for overpayments on various quarterly or monthly taxes occasionally and they are always made out to the corporation. (Gotta love checks for $0.07 or whatever)

This is the first year we've ever gotten an annual refund for the corporation (against previous years taxes paid), so I'm not sure who that will go to. Since the corporation is a separate entity from the owner, it SHOULD go to the corporation. The corporation is what paid the taxes in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 03:11 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
I've been signing my husbands checks for 30 years. My mom has been signing my dads for 60. It's all "for deposit only" into joint checking so I don't really care.

Up until computers, when each account could only have ONE owner, people generally accepted a married couple was "as one" and could do things that way. Now, I can't even change my cable package if my husbands name is on the bill. Kind of silly when you think about it.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:15 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,002 times
I, also, manage the finances between my husband and I and our business and the vast majority of the checks are made out in his name. I just have him sign them before I deposit; I've never tried to sign them myself. However, since I am depositing (rather than cashing), they never seem to look at the signature anyhow... are you signing the checks in front of the teller? It doesn't seem to me that they'd normally notice.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 03-25-2010 at 02:26 AM..

Old 09-25-2010, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 16,072 times
My husband was in a bad accident about three years ago and he hadn't been able to work. About 1 week ago he found out that his lawyer has received a go ahead where the other party lawyer wishes to settle out of court. My husband moved out two days ago and I was wondering isn't it against the law if the lawyer that is representing my husband don't put my name on the settlement check? Can I sue him if hedon't put my name on it? It is okay that my husband left I really don't care but the timing was wrong. I feel or think he used me I know he used me and that is okay, because I will help a stray dog as well.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
The definition of "fraud" lies in the intent. It is perfectly legal for a spouse to sign a document on behalf of the married partner, provided the other partner would have willingly signed it him/herself. Fraud against a private party, generally, requires a plaintiff to declare that he was defrauded.

However, banks have their own set of rules, and may or may not accept a signature on a check that is payable to a spouse. But if it is a joint account, a check payable to either party can be deposited, usually without any signature at all.

I received a government stimulus check, payable to my wife and myself, and my bank in Texas refused to deposit it in my account unless she was there to sign it in their presence. But she was out of the country at the time. So I just mailed it with a deposit slip to my bank in Michigan, and no problem. (It was not a joint account.)

Old 09-25-2010, 04:06 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Any bank teller has an absentee endorsement stamp. It is used in place of a signature to deposit into an account which is in the same name(s) as the check. The whole check is deposited. This does not work if you want to take out any money from the check.
Technically, what you are doing is forgery, but I do the same thing all the time. Basically, if they know you at the bank and you conduct your business in the same manner every time, nobody is going to hassle you about it, unless you go to some awful, impersonal bank like BOA, where you are only a number and they could care less about you.

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-25-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglifeelectronics View Post
My CORPORATION Has Both Me & The Wife Listed At The Bank. We Received A Federal Tax Refund Made Out To BOTH Of Us. We Signed the Back, And Used The Corporate Stamp - "pay To The Order Of BOA For Deposit Only Name Of Corp. And Account Number". They Returned It (Was Thru ATM), Are We Going To Be Able To Cash It?? They Stated That It Wasnt Made Out To The Company. We Have Deposited Other Checks That Were Made Out To Us As All Of Xtra $$ Goes Into Business...Why All Of A Sudden Now Its Not OK?? Hopefully Bank Manager Will Ok It?? Any Help......
A long time ago I worked for a bank and there was a special edict involving tax refund checks. It came down from on high that the bank was requiring BOTH parties of a tax refund check to be present when they were deposited. You can just imagine how popular that was with our customers who were not used to being dictated to, or hassled about stuff. I do not know to this day what the deal was with that.
As far as business checks being deposited into a personnal account, or cashed...this is a BIG no no unless you go to the branch where your business resolution is, so they can verify who the signers are for the business.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:11 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,611,624 times
My mother cashed and signed my dads checks for twenty years. Mom went in the hospital and dad attempted to cash his own check. The police were called in because the teller didn't recognize the signature. They are protecting you by not accepting your signing of her checks. People break up every day. Forgery is one more thing that could be thrown at you.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Actaully thew only time that your signing would become a real problen on foirgery is when she objects and files a complaint. Otherwise i ths type case it would never become a legal matter at all.In other case there can be a complaint other thn your wife;but here without her its going no where i the leagal system.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
We get the checks in the mail, and sometimes I go to the bank before she comes home from work.

YES, I understand her signing the checks would do the trick. I'm just asking if there was an option where I could do it without her. That's all. Again, it's not that big of a deal. It's the same as me handing her the phone every time I talk to customer service about our brokerage accounts or cc accountsetc... It's not that difficult, but it's a little inconvenient. If I could do it, I will. Has anyone done this? IWe've done it with all our other accounts, as I do ALL the finances, yes, even signing the back of the checks. lol

Unfortunately, no direct deposit for this company. I loved it when we had it.
I am sure you are a nice person but this post is scarey to me !

You handle all the finanaces , you want to deposit checks she will never see, she puts all the finances totally in your hands and if you were unscrupulous and were going to drain the account ( someday ) its just scarey.

BOTH should always be involved in viewing , signing checks ect.

Maybe there is unlimited trust but even if you are a good guy , how knowledgable is she about your finances ? Does she know the dollar amount of all your debt , bills , bank balances ?

If she does not , she should . Not because you are a bad guy but because women should know what's going on , the same as men who leave ALL decisions to their spouse.

Reverse the situation. She is handling all the money and you know very little about whats going on. Does that feel okay to you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance