Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Well?
Not at all any more, or rarely 94 34.06%
Occasionally (eg monthly bills) 131 47.46%
Frequently 38 13.77%
other (explain) 13 4.71%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:56 AM

37 posts, read 117,871 times

Advertisements

I write checks occassionally. I pay my bills online or pay by phone. Sometime I break down and take out the checkbook to keep me in practice with it, but sending birthday money in the mail I'll write a check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
A lot of times we find things on-line for way cheaper, so we buy with CC or paypal.

But if we buy something local, we often use checks.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:36 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,183 times
I write out a few a year to my dog sitter, I put some in cards at Christmas- and a few others during the year- maybe 10-12

Old 04-02-2009, 08:18 AM

111 posts, read 258,722 times
With credit/debit cards bill pay got rid of checks. Most utilities and recurring home stuff had to be sent by a check but now that most banks have bill pay, so no checks. But I still write checks to pay rent.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I'm still not entirely comfortable with online banking, but Ive made a few transactions with my brokerage and getting money for home purchases so Im warming up to it. Yes, I may be a dinosaur in this manner, but I know there are thousands out there trying to hack into bank systems.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 AM

593 posts, read 2,440,205 times
I only write checks to pay rent to my apartment complex, but other than that it is all online/debit card. I don't mind at all if others use checks - I understand that everyone has a different style and you've got to do what works for you.

That said, the main reasons I pay all of my other bills online is time, money, safety and the environment.

By paying everything online...
  • I save time by not having to drive to the bank, the post office, etc.

• Save $$ from not paying for gas to run extra errands to pay bills, and from not having to buy stamps (which are going up by 1-cent a month it seems)

• I reduce my negative impact on the environment, since the companies don't have to waste paper mailing things to me, and I don't waste more paper mailing bill payments back to them. It all adds up.

• I also feel that online bill payment is much safer than paying by mail. I know instantly that my payment went through, and didn't get lost in the mail or incorrectly processed. It is also easier for someone to just open up your mailbox and go through your mail, whereas online you don't have as much risk of that due to encryption.

Of course, nothing is 100%, but for me online is safer, easier, cheaper, and better for the environment than writing checks.

Wow, I really went on a rant there

Last edited by DCguy03; 04-02-2009 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: added bullets so it didn't look all jumbled together :)

Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
I only write checks to pay rent to my apartment complex, but other than that it is all online/debit card. I don't mind at all if others use checks - I understand that everyone has a different style and you've got to do what works for you.

That said, the main reasons I pay all of my other bills online is time, money, safety and the environment.

By paying everything online...
  • I save time by not having to drive to the bank, the post office, etc.
  • Save $$ from not paying for gas to run extra errands to pay bills, and from not having to buy stamps (which are going up by 1-cent a month it seems)
  • I reduce my negative impact on the environment, since the companies don't have to waste paper mailing things to me, and I don't waste more paper mailing bill payments back to them. It all adds up.
  • I also feel that online bill payment is much safer than paying by mail. I know instantly that my payment went through, and didn't get lost in the mail or incorrectly processed. It is also easier for someone to just open up your mailbox and go through your mail, whereas online you don't have as much risk of that due to encryption.

Of course, nothing is 100%, but for me online is safer, easier, cheaper, and better for the environment than writing checks.

Wow, I really went on a rant there

Don't forget that with billpay you have proof of when payments were mailed.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Reused checking numbers give previous owners keys to your account - latimes.com

Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
I never pay online; I only write checks. Must be my age.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I'm still not entirely comfortable with online banking, but Ive made a few transactions with my brokerage and getting money for home purchases so Im warming up to it. Yes, I may be a dinosaur in this manner, but I know there are thousands out there trying to hack into bank systems.
I'm also uncomfortable with online checking. My niece does it and 2 weeks ago, the bank
contacted her that someone from the caribbean attempted to debit $800.00 from her
account.
As convenient as the debit/credit cards are, we are probably over-spending then before
they existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance