Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,973 times

Advertisements

I think I have posted about this couple before, but there is a new issue:

Well, our friends Bill and Nancy have been together for 9 years, not married, 10th year anniversary coming up real soon -- they've been living together for almost 7 years now. Nancy, like the "steretypical" woman out there, has been aggressively pushing marriage to Bill, but Bill is not budging.

Bill confided to my future husband that, on top of being afraid of Nancy "changing" (ok, Bill thinks that "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"... so he's thinking if his relationship is perfect now, why change the status w/ a wedding?), Bill is also afraid that his credit would get ruined, because Nancy has raked about $40K of credit card bills, which is waaay beyond her own "purchasing power", and she's almost going bankcrupt.

Well, I've heard different things about this, because I also heard that the only way a married couple would get their credit "jointed" is if they purchase something TOGETHER (ie, house).

Which is true? And is anyone experiencing what Bill is experiencing -- not wanting to marry in fear of his credit being ruined by the other person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
yes anti discrimination credit act 1977
in plain language after you say i do, she can charge against your will or without your knowledge without your signature without your name on the card on your line of credit and you are 100% responsible for the debt. slavery by marriage.
if there is a divorce (50% divorce rate 75% filed by women) your 1/2 of the debt on her cards will be "negotiated", this means usually you pay them.
this was the biggest shock of my married life
see the lawyer b4 not after.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 AM

36,532 posts, read 30,871,648 times
It is a ligitimate concern. Bill is a wise man.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:14 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
Yes, credit is something that is extended from a merchant or company. The only way to 'join' it would be co-applicants for the credit.

However, debt is another issue altogether. If a spouse charges or runs up a debt....in most states it's joint....because it was created during the marriage.
Same holds true for earnings....if it was created during the marriage it's belongs to both parties.

That's one of the reasons many women don't want to marry.... you have to become responsible for what the husband does. So Nancy needs to move on and if she wants marriage, she should ditch Bill and start dating other men who do want marriage.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Yes, credit is something that is extended from a merchant or company. The only way to 'join' it would be co-applicants for the credit.

However, debt is another issue altogether. If a spouse charges or runs up a debt....in most states it's joint....because it was created during the marriage.
Same holds true for earnings....if it was created during the marriage it's belongs to both parties.

That's one of the reasons many women don't want to marry.... you have to become responsible for what the husband does. So Nancy needs to move on and if she wants marriage, she should ditch Bill and start dating other men who do want marriage.
maybe but 85% of debtors anon is female and 75% of divorces are filed by women. to say the mall is full of credit card crazed men running up and down the shops is a distortion at best.
guys get blamed for all the evil in the world but only do 1/2 of it.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:10 PM

36,532 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
guys get blamed for all the evil in the world but only do 1/2 of it.
Yeah, but guys do less than 1/2 of all the good in the world and gett 100% of the credit for it.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yeah, but guys do less than 1/2 of all the good in the world and gett 100% of the credit for it.
yes you are so right and i like your focus very much-- its a lil off topic but its still good, women do enormous good. i will remember your post you got rep comin.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in plain language after you say i do, she can charge against your will or without your knowledge without your signature without your name on the card on your line of credit and you are 100% responsible for the debt. slavery by marriage.
if there is a divorce (50% divorce rate 75% filed by women) your 1/2 of the debt on her cards will be "negotiated", this means usually you pay them.

Thanks for keeping up the good fight huckleberry. That is something I didn't even know and I consider myself rather well versed on why you shouldn't get married.

I have perfect credit, literally, never missed a payment, ever.

Quote:
You mean, that is one of the reasons women don't marry down. They marry men who are more successful than them, make more money or have more assets.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:14 PM

103 posts, read 399,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Since it's Federal Law I guess a prenup wouldn't help or minimize the damage? Any idea if this applies to common law marriages too?

I thought getting rid of the medical/legal redtape would be a really good reason to get married, but this new info definitely changes the equation.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:22 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjane82 View Post
Since it's Federal Law I guess a prenup wouldn't help or minimize the damage? Any idea if this applies to common law marriages too?

I thought getting rid of the medical/legal redtape would be a really good reason to get married, but this new info definitely changes the equation.
Nope, it doesn't apply to "common law." At least, it didn't many years ago when a credit card company was trying to bully me into paying on my c.l. partner's bills. He had gotten a card for me on his account and I was fastidious about paying MY CHARGES every month. When he didn't pay his own, the reps. called me and said I had to pay because I was his wife.

Oh, no, I didn't! I told them that we were NOT married and if they checked the records, they would see that I paid anything I charged and even kicked in a bit extra now and then to help him out. They looked into it, saw that I was right, and offered me my own account, LOL. They even sent me a letter of apology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance