Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:53 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a change of jobs (and cities) in the near future. In the town where I'll be working, a credit union looks like the most convienient financial establishment as far as location, hours, etc.

Not having any experience with this type institution, does it have any advantages/disadvantages versus a typical bank? I'll probably be direct depositing my pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 08:37 AM

328 posts, read 886,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm looking at a change of jobs (and cities) in the near future. In the town where I'll be working, a credit union looks like the most convienient financial establishment as far as location, hours, etc.

Not having any experience with this type institution, does it have any advantages/disadvantages versus a typical bank? I'll probably be direct depositing my pay.
I love my credit union. I will continue to bank with them when I relocate. I was able to get a personal loan at a low rate and paid my debt off in two years. I hate banks. I switched to Chase for three weeks and it was a nightmare.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:53 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I adore my credit union. I've been a member for 15 years. I would never switch. I've used them for CDs, car loan, personal loan...their online banking system is super...customer service is excellent... I get up to $4/month reimbursed if I get an ATM fee (which I seldom do anyway), checks are free, my savings account has a $5 minimum balance and my checking account has $0 minimum balance, I just don't seem to ever have the problems other people complain about. I would never leave them.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:03 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Depends on how the business is run, functionally is appears similar, but the difference is credit unions are not for profit. What I notice is my credit union has older ATM's than the bank, but again, that's because they don't spend money as freely, though I like the features of the newer bank ATM. So, I would expect my credit union to be more stable than similar sized bank. Nearly all things are free, I just need a $50 minimum balance.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:22 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
If you travel frequently and want a greater availability of ATMs and services throughout the US and the world, with better online banking, then a larger commercial bank is probably a better bet. Of course it depends on the credit union, but they are typically less sophisticated and more geographically specific.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:35 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Credit unions do everything a bank does, only without the grief, ridiculous fees, etc. Go for it!

I don't use ATMs however, so I don't know about that aspect of it. I actually don't understand why ATMs are so hot....just about everywhere takes plastic....so we don't have much need for cash. I do hide $10K in our "special drawer" at home for the whole family's use. When it gets low, I refill the drawer....but because we mostly use plastic, our cash stash usually lasts 6-8 months or so...

I've always thought that using ATMs was asking to get robbed!

Old 09-19-2009, 10:46 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Credit unions do everything a bank does, only without the grief, ridiculous fees, etc. Go for it!

I don't use ATMs however, so I don't know about that aspect of it. I actually don't understand why ATMs are so hot....just about everywhere takes plastic....

I've always thought that using ATMs was asking to get robbed!
Yes, perhaps, you always have to be careful. What I like is the BofA ATM's let you deposit checks, and even cash, without special envelopes, it just pulls them in. Makes it quick and easy. It prints a receipt and will show a scanned picture of the check too.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
I actually don't understand why ATMs are so hot....just about everywhere takes plastic.
They are "hot" because believe it or not, people still do use cash. Are you the type who pays for a pack of gum at the convenience store with a debit card?

Quote:
I do hide $10K in our "special drawer" at home for the whole family's use. When it gets low, I refill the drawer....but because we mostly use plastic, our cash stash usually lasts 6-8 months or so...

I've always thought that using ATMs was asking to get robbed
So you're afraid of being robbed at an ATM but you keep $10,000 laying around in a drawer in your house. That makes a ton of sense.

If you believe what you already stated about not needing cash, why on earth would you have that kind of cash laying around your house anyway? Do you not believe in putting money in the bank and letting it safely earn interest?

Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Yes, perhaps, you always have to be careful. What I like is the BofA ATM's let you deposit checks, and even cash, without special envelopes, it just pulls them in. Makes it quick and easy. It prints a receipt and will show a scanned picture of the check too.

Sheesh, BofA is the worst of the worst!

I had a checking account and a credit card with them. For years, I mailed payment (in full) on that credit card the very day I received the statement, or at the latest, the next day. Then a few months ago, they claimed they didn't receive my payment. Of course, I couldn't prove I mailed payment, so I ate a $39 late fee, a $30 stop payment fee on the original check, and another $40 in interest (I never pay interest!)....as well as took a ding on my credit report. I figured it was a fluke and did nothing until the same thing happened again a few months later! Needless to say, I severed all dealings with BofA at that point.

And you stick CASH in one of their ATMs??? You got to be crazy!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
They are "hot" because believe it or not, people still do use cash. Are you the type who pays for a pack of gum at the convenience store with a debit card?

So you're afraid of being robbed at an ATM but you keep $10,000 laying around in a drawer in your house. That makes a ton of sense.

If you believe what you already stated about not needing cash, why on earth would you have that kind of cash laying around your house anyway? Do you not believe in putting money in the bank and letting it safely earn interest?

No, dude, I never said we don't use cash. We just don't run to an ATM every day to get 20 bucks. Our ATM is the special drawer....the wife or kids need cash, they grab what they need.

If our stash is ever stolen in a burglury....no big deal...for us, the convenience far outweighs the miniscule risk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance