Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
That is what is called survival. Think of times when there were all these communes around, where people would live in groups and raise they kids, sort of like a tribe. They would grow their own food, maybe have a couple vehicles for the group, make their own clothes or shop at thrift stores, and kids were home schooled. People survived because they stuck together.
I've only kept up with one commune that I knew of back in the day, tho, they are a religious group. You can read about them here.
The Twelve Tribes : A Brand New Culture (http://www.twelvetribes.com/whoweare/our-culture.html - broken link)

Sure, they're a strange bunch lol, but they're doors are always open (providing you pull your weight physically and spiritually). I have a few friends from the past that rooted with them and stayed. They're pretty self-sufficient. It wasn't for me, tho.

When I was on tour (deadhead), it was similar to communal living, albeit on the road. Everybody brought something to the table, be it food, a ride, a place to sleep, a job, whatever. It was good; my football days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
We were pretty broke growing up even though my dad was military. I've never actually understood people that more or less pay for their addictions (in my parents case it was cigarettes and beer), and then use what is left to buy food, pay bills, and then if there is any left, clothing for their kids. All I can put it down to is people being so wrapped up in their depression and unhappiness, they truly can't see a way out of it a lot of the time.

What will happen during the next depression? Well in a lot of ways it will be a wake-up call, at least I hope it will. I've had this discussion with my ex recently, about people placing their self worth and feeling of accomplishment on how many material possessions they own. He wants people to walk in his front door and say "wow" that's a huge TV. I have never wanted to live that way. For those that can't adapt, they will likely end up alcoholics, and/or on anti-depressants to help them deal.

It takes a strong individual to grow up out of conditions the OP described and go on to live a productive life not filled with excuses for why they were "kept down" by poverty. My upbringing doesn't even compare to that.

I grew up an Army brat & my beloved Dad loved his beer & cigarettes too, & spent a lot of time off fighting a war. But my beloved Mom stayed at home & Loved her children more then life itself...

Back then the army didn't pay very much, but we made do, & Army folks looked out fer each other.

I got my first job at 8 years, two paper routes. Money to help my family. Then i got a job setting wood pins in the bowling alley, then bagging groceries at the Commisary. Then i pumped gas, cut grass, golf caddy,janitor ,etc.

I Loved growing up with the Army. I saw & explored some areas of Beautiful states, camped & did some fishin'. My army sisters & brothers are my family just like my blood siblings are.

Later on i saw many homeless. I spent some time one too.
Salvation Army & ST Vincent De Paul, different churches has always provided some Hot Meals, clothes, perhaps a bed fer the nite..
Fast food restaurants usually throwaway good food when they close up at nite.

God Bless You All...

Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
am there now thanks to a long divorce coupled with taking care of a sick child,and my stroke which put me on permanent disability---getting help from local agencies has been useless--my adult child that is ill and cannot work would have to get permanent disability for me to not have to count him as a source of possible income--so i can relate to living with mice in not a nice neighborhood with holes in shoes and not being able ti even pay for a medicare drug plan---yet there are younger healthier people out there with food stamps,new cars,bunches of kids with tons of toys--my comment WTF is wrong here?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:09 PM

943 posts, read 2,280,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That's a good idea. Middle-aged folk in hard times should come together. i never hear of that much, only with younger folk. If you don't mind me asking, what's your health issue? If that's too personal to share, don't worry and I apologize.
I agree. I think they should. I do know I need to get out of here and get to place where there are poorer folks who will help one another. My health issues are many. Too personal to go into detail. I had bad respiratory problems by the age of 20.
Quote:
If you have the option for section 8, or a complex for the disabled, I think you should go for it. I've been trying to get my brother to do that for years. Many of these places take 30% of your income. So, if you hit hard times and don't have income, you don't have to worry.
I am on lists. A private one just turned me down because of bad credit, but HUD doesnt do that. There are acouple if they came up I would take. Even if Im married still I can move into one of those places.

What happened to your van is horrible. that would be so scary. I dont doubt that you got PTSD from the whole event, and losing your items for sale and transporation that had to be horrible. That is like a bad action movie. Horrible.
That reminds me of the time I was on a Chicago highway and saw a car doing 100 miles an hour that was bearing down and I actually swerved onto the grass, side wheezing, and the CAR FLIPPED OVER from END TO END three times and crashed and burned about where I would have been if I hadnt swerved. But back to you. that is tough. The smelling of smoke and rest of it would be bad. Traumatic events can trigger that, I dont want to go into detail on one event, but if I see a certain substance now I faint.

The women leaving the candel burning on a phone book, SHEESH, that is bad. She had to be ditz or maybe she thought shed come back, still it was dumb.
Bad fires can do bad things to people. My Dad had his house burn down when they were 9, and all their Christmas presents burned up, and I was raised to be OCD about fire. So understand the bad fire thing.

Glad things got better for you.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I grew up an Army brat & my beloved Dad loved his beer & cigarettes too, & spent a lot of time off fighting a war. But my beloved Mom stayed at home & Loved her children more then life itself...

Back then the army didn't pay very much, but we made do, & Army folks looked out fer each other.

I got my first job at 8 years, two paper routes. Money to help my family. Then i got a job setting wood pins in the bowling alley, then bagging groceries at the Commisary. Then i pumped gas, cut grass, golf caddy,janitor ,etc.

I Loved growing up with the Army. I saw & explored some areas of Beautiful states, camped & did some fishin'. My army sisters & brothers are my family just like my blood siblings are.
Glad you had a good childhood too. That is ok, have nice Army life growing up, even with the moving, if a family handles it well and knows how to connect to "army brother and sisters" it can be a good deal. I have friends in the Army it is like its own world but that is good, they support each other. Sorry you were homeless, yes one can get throwaway food. IF I ever end up on the street and cant get food or shelter from friends or family I would call my old church to help. I am almost sure they would.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
am there now thanks to a long divorce coupled with taking care of a sick child,and my stroke which put me on permanent disability---getting help from local agencies has been useless--my adult child that is ill and cannot work would have to get permanent disability for me to not have to count him as a source of possible income--so i can relate to living with mice in not a nice neighborhood with holes in shoes and not being able ti even pay for a medicare drug plan---yet there are younger healthier people out there with food stamps,new cars,bunches of kids with tons of toys--my comment WTF is wrong here?
Many agencies do not help so I feel for you, a divorce with a sick child and being disabled yourself that has to be tough. I have delayed a divorce due to my own illness and other problems measuring what would be better or worse. We are living more in peace, so that helps, but we are basically roommates now. I know social agencies betray people, and they can only do so much. Living in this area is area is scary because there is a huge ghetto, so there is not much to go around and that is reflected. Has your adult child applied for disability? Are they on it. I think they would be eligible. You are on it yourself? Ive seen the other people with food stamps etc, who are doing better, I am not sure how that works. One friend has taught me she has to make phone calls all day to get help and she has a bounty of food and people bringing here things she doesnt even need. I think some are better at this then others. Even the paper work for welfare can be overwhelming. Hope things get beter for you. IF I were you I would call local agency on aging and ask for a homehealth aide, to help you and your disabled son or daughter. It took me forever to even know what agency to call.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I've only kept up with one commune that I knew of back in the day, tho, they are a religious group. You can read about them here.
The Twelve Tribes : A Brand New Culture (http://www.twelvetribes.com/whoweare/our-culture.html - broken link)

Sure, they're a strange bunch lol, but they're doors are always open (providing you pull your weight physically and spiritually). I have a few friends from the past that rooted with them and stayed. They're pretty self-sufficient. It wasn't for me, tho.

When I was on tour (deadhead), it was similar to communal living, albeit on the road. Everybody brought something to the table, be it food, a ride, a place to sleep, a job, whatever. It was good; my football days.
Hmm that is an interesting one, I do not share all their beliefs but they do seem like an interesting place, just hope they can live in peace and not have anyone abuse power. These type of groups are always controversial. Do your friends still live there?

I have looked up religious communes on intentional communties. I have what most people would consider fundamentalist Christian beliefs...[I am not Dominionist though, believe in gospel of grace, do believe in bible prophecy] so I was looking for places like that to see what is out there. But one has to be cautious of false teachings or cults, where they try to take your money and power over you.

I am too sick to ever go to a place like this, but Ive read books on the Shakers and other communes, and like the feeling of community and other things they have going like that even if I do not agree with every aspect of their teachings. one book described these "sisters" who were among the last Shakers. I loved that book and to read about their sharing and community. {most people who believe the way I do, family is paramount, so my interest in communes is unusual: many may even consider communes unbiblical but when I read book of Acts they do seem to share many things, I was in a close knit fundie baptist Christian church where we did share help between each other, meals etc. {I had church members who helped me fix my car, and who even helped me pack to move, they know we didnt want to move but economic situation was dire} the churches here are far too distant for me, plus there are none here, that teach my beliefs, like a bunch of people who get to get together once a week to sit in a "concert" hall and barely speak to each other the rest of the week.

You are right about everyone bringing something to the table. There is something very good about those sorts of communities if the worse aspects are avoided. I miss my old church so badly. I am sure you miss those old days.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was born poor white trash, to quote Steve Martin.

I've never had anything my whole life. I've worked hard and done pretty well for myself, at least considering my background.

Probably just normal, but feels like I've done OK.
Im glad youve been able to move up.

Some people can work their way up. I know for me I would have been ok if not for illness.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:20 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Hmm that is an interesting one, I do not share all their beliefs but they do seem like an interesting place, just hope they can live in peace and not have anyone abuse power. These type of groups are always controversial. Do your friends still live there?
Last I knew, yea. But, I lost ties with most of my hippy cohort a while back. The Yahshuas are a cult of sorts, but I don't think there's a grand pu bah leader. Just the same, nothing in my experience was frightening. I initially met them on tour. There were a lot of commune reps and cults that would go to shows to recruit (zendricks, krishnas, etc). I enjoyed their company, tho, we didn't agree on much. They were kind. If it was cold, we were always welcomed on their bus for tea. If anyone was hurt, they're bus was full of supplies, etc. The men were naturalists and quite hot! Ahhh, I remember one guy, David, who I swooned over. But, I was a heathen, so that wasn't happening lol.

Quote:
I have looked up religious communes on intentional communties. I have what most people would consider fundamentalist Christian beliefs...[I am not Dominionist though, believe in gospel of grace, do believe in bible prophecy] so I was looking for places like that to see what is out there. But one has to be cautious of false teachings or cults, where they try to take your money and power over you.
heh, they might be right for you. They live the bible through and through. What they say on their site is on par with what I experienced, but I did not live with them, so my exeriences are based on passing moments and the friends that left.

They have strict gender roles. They adhere to modesty and old-school living. If you do have money, it will be absorbed by the community, but folk are welcomed empty handed as well.

Quote:
I am too sick to ever go to a place like this, but Ive read books on the Shakers and other communes, and like the feeling of community and other things they have going like that even if I do not agree with every aspect of their teachings. one book described these "sisters" who were among the last Shakers.
My ex was into the shakers. He was cabinet maker, and shaker design was his style. There are some museums up here where shakers used to live IIRC.

Quote:
You are right about everyone bringing something to the table. There is something very good about those sorts of communities if the worse aspects are avoided. I miss my old church so badly. I am sure you miss those old days.
Well, there's always some level of cr*p involved where humans are involved. Some spaces are better than others. Can't you get involved with anything local in your area?

Old 11-16-2009, 01:14 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Rogers Park is not what I'd consider anything close to ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance