Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 08:31 PM

395 posts, read 604,088 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on comtributing to a 401k if you are really focused on paying down debt? I have about 3 years before out of debt. Im 37, with about 20k in my IRA and my company does not have a match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
What are your thoughts on comtributing to a 401k if you are really focused on paying down debt? I have about 3 years before out of debt. Im 37, with about 20k in my IRA and my company does not have a match.

Would help to know your interest rate. Some will say go with whichever gets you the best return.

For instance when I paid off my home in 09 my interest was around 6%. Nothing was paying that. SO I paid it off.

With todays rates? I think I would've kept the mortgage, and invested in an index fund.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:08 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS101 View Post
Like Suze Orman advice to NEVER put any more in 401k than amount needed to get company match because these are the lowest performing funds possible for 401k, only exception is company stock..
OK, I get really annoyed with absolutist type statements like these. In many cases, they're simply WRONG. People with 401ks/403bs/457s from large companies/governments/non-profits often have very good funds at rock bottom fees. This includes both actively managed and index funds. It turns out, due to sheer number, a pretty high percentage of people with these plans work for large companies, so a good percentage of people are getting good offerings in their plans. Small company plans tend to be a rip off, but there are exceptions there as well.

I have a large menu of solid offerings in my 457 plan. I can probably name at least 5 other folks I know of who have good to excellent plans as well, some smaller/medium sized companies, some large.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:40 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS101 View Post
Like Suze Orman advice to NEVER put any more in 401k than amount needed to get company match because these are the lowest performing funds possible for 401k, only exception is company stock.

At age 29, I had $45k earning really modest pay. Developed health problems and let go from my job without unemployment pay or medical leave so all the money is gone, long gone. Needed the retirement money to survive earlier than expected...Lots of the local women have suffered similar problems with health or local sex harassment/hostile workplace scams and screwed out of retirement moneys early. Really have nothing to show for staying here.

Now I'm 41, and $2k in IRA, emergency fund, debt paid down but still no work after getting screwed by employer earlier this year. Having trouble finding counsel to advise and having to leave with restraining order some I'm left alone to file a discrimination complaint and try to get my small business started again...Only reason I'm okay financially was paid for broken back injury from 2 years ago about time I found out this employer was unethical and I was likely in for a hard time for a while. Did not need this but ...**** just makes you stronger.
Let's see, my company doesn't do any matching so I should contribute $0? Every situation is different, just like yours. Don't go and follow a generic advice. I am pretty happy with my TIAA-CREF.

Do you consider this is a bad PRR?
Attached Thumbnails
How much do you have in your 401k & how old are you?-prr.jpg  

Old 11-17-2015, 06:58 AM

Everything is 0% for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Would help to know your interest rate. Some will say go with whichever gets you the best return.

For instance when I paid off my home in 09 my interest was around 6%. Nothing was paying that. SO I paid it off.

With todays rates? I think I would've kept the mortgage, and invested in an index fund.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:24 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
no it's not the fed induced interest rate is 0%, that doesn't mean that banks are giving people mortgage's at 0%. Right now it's closer to 4%. If banks were doing that everyone would be running out to get a mortgage as it would an excellent investment.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:09 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
Quote:

I wish! My bank is nowhere near zero. It is about 4%.

My investments haven't been zero either. In the past few years they've handily beat 4%.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:19 PM

Sorry, I thought you meant the apr on my credit cards. Nevermind lol.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:00 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Let's see, my company doesn't do any matching so I should contribute $0? Every situation is different, just like yours. Don't go and follow a generic advice. I am pretty happy with my TIAA-CREF.

Do you consider this is a bad PRR?
Fully agree. I have TIAA-CREF as well, my returns are similar. I probably have a tad more aggressive portfolio than you, since my high return years are a bit higher, but low return years and 2011 are lower. I'm almost 39, so I have lots of time, will probably stay the course.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:09 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,127 times
Quote:
Depends on the size of debt and its interest. On average returns on my retirement accounts exceed the interest I'm paying on my (very few) debts. Granted I only have mortgage at 4% and a car loan at 2.8%.
What you are missing by not contributing early into retirement are all the years of the compounding interest. I will soon be at a point where in the average year my nest egg earns more than 18K allowed by IRS. I like the thought that if I have to stop contributions all together for whatever reason, the money will still be growing at a sizeable rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance