Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 07:37 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
that seems to be the common opinion this day and age, which is why even people who have good incomes don't have much money saved. At least you have a pension. Many people won't be so lucky.

America is full of high-earning poor people - Quartz
Lucky? I worked for 37 years at a back breaking dangerous job in extreme heat and cold weather. I earned that pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 07:45 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Lucky? I worked for 37 years at a back breaking dangerous job in extreme heat and cold weather. I earned that pension.
I didn't say you didn't earn the pension. I said that if you didn't have a pension and lived the way you described you would be homeless. Lucky, in the sense that many people with your attitude of "spend everything you make" won't have a pension to fall back on like you do. Perhaps you had that attitude because you knew you would have a pension, but obviously many people have that attitude regardless of their situation.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:18 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I didn't say you didn't earn the pension. I said that if you didn't have a pension and lived the way you described you would be homeless. Lucky, in the sense that many people with your attitude of "spend everything you make" won't have a pension to fall back on like you do. Perhaps you had that attitude because you knew you would have a pension, but obviously many people have that attitude regardless of their situation.

Knowing that pension was there was part of it. however part of it was paying off 3 homes also...........
Plus raising 3 children............that alone will keep you broke. sorry I sounded so defensive.......

Old 11-06-2015, 05:42 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
No, you didn't. You earned the wages they gave you each paycheck.
Well, unless they described the pension as part of your compensation.

I have a 401k match from my employer...but I don't see it as me "earning" that money! It's free money, given to me as incentive for working there.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:01 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,637,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
No, you didn't. You earned the wages they gave you each paycheck.
Well, unless they described the pension as part of your compensation.

I have a 401k match from my employer...but I don't see it as me "earning" that money! It's free money, given to me as incentive for working there.
You're playing with semantics. A pension is part of the compensation package, just like a 401k match, stock options, etc.

Receiving something with a monetary value -- in exchange for services rendered -- is pay. If it wasn't, we'd all be getting his company pension too.

Unless you're getting "free money" in paycheck form as an incentive for working there too...

Old 11-06-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
You're playing with semantics. A pension is part of the compensation package, just like a 401k match, stock options, etc.

Receiving something with a monetary value -- in exchange for services rendered -- is pay. If it wasn't, we'd all be getting his company pension too.

Unless you're getting "free money" in paycheck form as an incentive for working there too...
yes, perhaps

bottom line, i think mizzourah2006 hit the nail on the head and is right on. Not everyone is lucky enough to 'still' have a pension these days, yet many share jeffdoorgunner's mentality nonetheless when it comes to saving.
It certainly works in jeffdoorgunner's situation and more power to him, but i think Mizzourah2006 had a good point. that's all.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
Not everyone is lucky enough to 'still' have a pension these days, yet many share jeffdoorgunner's mentality nonetheless when it comes to saving.

Even with a pension, i'd want another layer of comfort. All too often I read stories about pensions getting cut, so nothing is really ever guaranteed.

Between myself and my significant other, we have a pension, a 401K and an IRA each as well as individual stocks. Plus I do have SS as well.

I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable with only 1 retirement vehicle.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Even with a pension, i'd want another layer of comfort. All too often I read stories about pensions getting cut, so nothing is really ever guaranteed.

Between myself and my significant other, we have a pension, a 401K and an IRA each as well as individual stocks. Plus I do have SS as well.

I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable with only 1 retirement vehicle.
Very True.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:07 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,791 times
Quote:
Technically speaking, a 401k match is earned income that is tax deferred. It is part of your total compensation package (which includes to cost of other benefits, such as the employer-paid portion of your health insurance).

Old 11-06-2015, 12:12 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,254,000 times
A pension can fail. My fiancé's pension through one of his jobs is in the red and he has gotten notices in the past that the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp may have to cover his retirement if it does fail. It would only be a little more than half of what it was supposed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance