Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 06:41 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
A pension can fail. My fiancé's pension through one of his jobs is in the red and he has gotten notices in the past that the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp may have to cover his retirement if it does fail. It would only be a little more than half of what it was supposed to be.
Its actually Railroad retirement. I just call it a pension. It is much safer than any private pension out there...........also safer than SS..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 03:08 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Wife is 37 she still works. she also has a 401.She will also collect my pension when she retires.
But the REAL question is....did she EARN it?! ..just playin' with ya jeff -

I couldn't resist because in my book pensions ARE earned. Companies don't just do it out of the goodness of their hearts - without the promise of a pension they'd have to pay more in order to keep employees around. If you're afraid the company won't be around (or you don't plan on sticking around long enough to be vested) then you keep looking for another job.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:54 AM

206 posts, read 238,631 times
Like Suze Orman advice to NEVER put any more in 401k than amount needed to get company match because these are the lowest performing funds possible for 401k, only exception is company stock.

At age 29, I had $45k earning really modest pay. Developed health problems and let go from my job without unemployment pay or medical leave so all the money is gone, long gone. Needed the retirement money to survive earlier than expected...Lots of the local women have suffered similar problems with health or local sex harassment/hostile workplace scams and screwed out of retirement moneys early. Really have nothing to show for staying here.

Now I'm 41, and $2k in IRA, emergency fund, debt paid down but still no work after getting screwed by employer earlier this year. Having trouble finding counsel to advise and having to leave with restraining order some I'm left alone to file a discrimination complaint and try to get my small business started again...Only reason I'm okay financially was paid for broken back injury from 2 years ago about time I found out this employer was unethical and I was likely in for a hard time for a while. Did not need this but ...**** just makes you stronger.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:41 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS101 View Post
Like Suze Orman advice to NEVER put any more in 401k than amount needed to get company match because these are the lowest performing funds possible for 401k, only exception is company stock.
Doesn't this really depend on your particular 401k? I have a Russel 1k index fund with a 0.03% expense ratio. That will track the S&P as well as the next 500 largest companies. My wife has Vanguard index fund options in her 401k.

Perhaps that is accurate if you are choosing between a 401k and an IRA/Roth, but if you have maxed out those then a 401k is a great option to continue to defer taxes assuming you have attractive investment options.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:25 AM

140 posts, read 143,235 times
30 years old. About $37K in retirement. Husband is also 30 years old and has $7K.

I started young with my first employer and contributed to the match thanks to my dad telling me I had to do it. But then in 2013 I lost my job and remained unemployed for a year while we were transitioning to move (my husband is military). Started a new job in 2014, but wasn't eligibile for retirement benefits. Then changed jobs in 2015 for better opportunity, better pay, and better hours, but now my new job has zero retirement benefits. So I'm going on 3 years of no 401K contributions.

I have a Roth IRA that I contribute a small amount to, but it is definitely NOT enough. We are paying off debt right now, so once it is all paid off, I plan to maximize my Roth contributions and increase my husband's TSP contributions. But that is likely another 12-16 months away.

I feel incredibly behind.

Last edited by FinanceBabe; 11-16-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 10:28 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I'm 39. Roughly $100K in my IRAs and 401K accounts. I need to rebalance, but honestly, I look at it maybe once every 2 years. I invested in index funds wherever I could. It's done well, i think.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:34 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS101 View Post

At age 29, I had $45k earning really modest pay. Developed health problems and let go from my job without unemployment pay or medical leave so all the money is gone, long gone. Needed the retirement money to survive earlier than expected...Lots of the local women have suffered similar problems with health or local sex harassment/hostile workplace scams and screwed out of retirement moneys early. Really have nothing to show for staying here.

Now I'm 41, and $2k in IRA, emergency fund, debt paid down but still no work after getting screwed by employer earlier this year. Having trouble finding counsel to advise and having to leave with restraining order some I'm left alone to file a discrimination complaint and try to get my small business started again...Only reason I'm okay financially was paid for broken back injury from 2 years ago about time I found out this employer was unethical and I was likely in for a hard time for a while. Did not need this but ...**** just makes you stronger.
Suze Ormond often gives terrifyingly bad advice, alongside nuggets of useful insight. Some 401k programs provide excellent options beyond the tax deferment and the matching. I think all of my retirement accounts offer a full range of low-priced index funds.

As for company stock, you should diversify away from the company that employs you. If your company goes under, not only do you lose your job, but your stock tanks in value. I worked for a company that used to give you stock alongside your annual bonus. When it tanked, those shares were worth precisely bupkis. The only reason I didn't sell it was because I hadn't vested.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:42 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Suze Ormond often gives terrifyingly bad advice, alongside nuggets of useful insight. Some 401k programs provide excellent options beyond the tax deferment and the matching. I think all of my retirement accounts offer a full range of low-priced index funds.

As for company stock, you should diversify away from the company that employs you. If your company goes under, not only do you lose your job, but your stock tanks in value. I worked for a company that used to give you stock alongside your annual bonus. When it tanked, those shares were worth precisely bupkis. The only reason I didn't sell it was because I hadn't vested.
Yup I get this right now. My first shares vest this February. I will be selling immediately and buying something else in my Roth. The only company stock I buy is with the 15% discount I get. Even then, when it runs up I sell.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:48 AM

487 posts, read 537,185 times
35 y/o and $340k in 401k, Roth IRA, etc....

Old 11-16-2015, 08:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
My kid is 25 and has about $40k in Roth and SEP IRA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance