Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,994,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
The People are revolting against each other, and you can see it in the smug attitudes on this board... and again I include myself (even if I didn't literally make a smug post) with what has gone on through my mind as I have perused this section of the board this last week.
Happens every time we have an economic depression. usually its the poor throwing rocks at the rich, this time , like you said , its throwing rocks at each other....no winners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 PM

42 posts, read 88,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
The reason I repeat myself for the hundredth time is because idiots keep trying to blame credit cards for problems they created themselves. Sorry, but I'm not going to let that kind of crap go unchallenged every time. Hate all you want; we'll make more.

I have credit card debt and it's not the cc companies' fault. It's all me.

The only resentment I have is they provided me with enough rope to hang myself from the moon.....when I could have hung myself well enough with a much shorter rope.

sorry...just trying to make light of the discussion.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedFinancialAdvice View Post
I have credit card debt and it's not the cc companies' fault. It's all me.

The only resentment I have is they provided me with enough rope to hang myself from the moon.....when I could have hung myself well enough with a much shorter rope.

sorry...just trying to make light of the discussion.
Most of us have been there several times over...do not beleive all you hear...here. Even the most conservative folks have had problems at some point in their lives...or will if they are younger. No ones bullet proof, regardless what they tell you.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:09 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,188,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
I just laugh at how smug you are. You were obviously born into a family with money that probably even paid your way through school.
This is hardly worth replying to, but what the heck -- I'm in a good mood. You couldn't be more wrong. My family did not pay my way through school and went through some pretty tough times when I was growing up. Remember the recession in the 70s and the high unemployment?? Remember all the jobs moving to China? Those affected my family greatly. But this is a typical accusation when someone isn't sympathetic on this forum -- accuse them of being the heartless rich.

Quote:
You talk down to people for changing their financial lives. How ugly is that?
No, I tell people who are trying to find scapegoats for their own actions to look in the mirror.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:13 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,084,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Most of us have been there several times over...do not beleive all you hear...here. Even the most conservative folks have had problems at some point in their lives...or will if they are younger. No ones bullet proof, regardless what they tell you.
That is absolutely true in my case. I was a financial disaster in my twenties, and it was my fault entirely. I was lucky to have my family's support as I dug myself out of the hole, because I always had somewhere to go for dinner when the cupboard was looking bare, and I was loaned a car on more than one occasion when I couldn't afford to get my own repaired. I'm now in my forties and if not bullet-proof, then darn near close. If anything, I'm now more conservative than I probably need to be, but I don't ever want to be in that position again. Still, that doesn't keep me from being sympathetic to those who are just now getting their acts together. We all make mistakes. They key is to learn from them, and if I could do so, then I'm certain others can and will, too.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-05-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
That is absolutely true in my case. I was a financial disaster in my twenties, and it was my fault entirely. I was lucky to have my family's support as I dug myself out of the hole. I always had somewhere to go for dinner when the cupboard was looking bare, and I was loaned a car on more than one occasion when I couldn't afford to get my own repaired. I'm now in my forties and if not bullet-proof, then darn near close. If anything, I'm now more conservative than I probably need to be, but I don't ever want to be in that position again. Still, that doesn't keep me from being sympathetic to those who are just now getting their acts together. We all make mistakes. They key is to learn from them, and if I could do so, then I'm certain others can and will, too.
The problem is....so many have buried themselves in Credit-Card-revolving accounts, cars , etc.. some how paid it all off, got great credit again ( with the help of the Banks ).then , got into their thirties-forties and did it all over again.... Now a lot of em are baby Boomers , have nothing to show for all their years of work ( and fun ) except a huge debt again....and for most failing health looming in the near future....Their savings are gone, thanks to Wall Street , The Company they worked for has closed shop , the retirement pension has gone away with Bernie Madoff....and they do not know what to do...their own fault...yes , but , they were just following the American Dream , they were told to spend..it will grow the economy...they were told the only way was up with the value of their home, take out a second mortgage, a third , and so it goes.....away , the American Dream...fine country we live in now isn't it ?

Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,084,550 times
Quote:
...fine country we live in now isn't it ?
Obviously, your comment is tinged with irony, but I still believe that I live in a mighty fine country. The U.S. is not alone in its predicament.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-05-2010 at 04:19 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Obviously, your comment is tinged with irony, but I still believe that I live in a mighty fine country. The U.S. is not alone in its predicament.
Comfort in numbers won't buy food, drugs,and medical care, no matter where you are from.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 PM

6,981 posts, read 11,002,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Oh, good. Another mindless quoting of Dave Ramsey. I love these.

Some of us are actually capable of handling a variety of means of payments, including CREDIT CARDS. I have never paid a fee, nor a penny in interest, and I have used them to get stuff via rewards points. Just because some of you Ramseyites are incapable of handling your money doesn't mean we all are. A credit card is just a tool. If you're smart with it, you can make something out of it. If you're an idiot, you're going to smash your thumb. We're sorry you smashed your thumb, but don't blame the hammer.
Very true. I watch Dave Ramsey sometimes and I think he does a good service by educating people about the dangers of debt. But he is for the credit equivalent of alcoholics -- people who just can't control their spending in any way other than to restrict themselves completely to cash. I use credit cards for convenience, and never pay fees or finance charges. As you say, they're tool, and they can be used or abused.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:04 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,260,865 times
Quote:
The problem is....so many have buried themselves in Credit-Card-revolving accounts, cars , etc.. some how paid it all off, got great credit again ( with the help of the Banks ).then , got into their thirties-forties and did it all over again.... Now a lot of em are baby Boomers , have nothing to show for all their years of work ( and fun ) except a huge debt again....and for most failing health looming in the near future....Their savings are gone, thanks to Wall Street , The Company they worked for has closed shop , the retirement pension has gone away with Bernie Madoff....and they do not know what to do...their own fault...yes , but , they were just following the American Dream , they were told to spend..it will grow the economy...they were told the only way was up with the value of their home, take out a second mortgage, a third , and so it goes.....away , the American Dream...fine country we live in now isn't it ?
I really agree with the sentiment expressed here. I see my parents generation as one that wears that badge of victimhood, only in this case, its not too far from the mark. I'm not big on the idea of victimhood, but its so easy to point the finger at big corporations, investment scams, our spend spend spend mentality. All of it is fair game and rightfully so. At the end of it all, I still believe in the principle of personal responsibility.

I have seen so many in my parent's generation use their equity like drunken sailors in port. I have seen others borrow against their 401k when they were maxed out on the credit cards funding their lifestyle. It's so ridiculous. I wish being thrifty was as trendy as being green is right now. People's hearts are in the right place when it comes to saving the environment. What about the financial environment?

I am so sick of relative attitudes that prevail when it comes to debt and ethics. Charged too much? Bankruptcy! Think your mortgage is too high? Maybe its time to walk away. BS.

If there is one thing I have learned through this is that I am ultimately in control of my own financial destiny. I overspent in my early 20's. I intend to save a lot through my 30's.

There are a lot of very intelligent people, with good incomes to boot, who make the most ridiculous mistakes when it comes to debt. I have a hard time finding sympathy. I get flat out mad. My generation will have to pony up and pay the price. I'm even more bitter because I play by the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance