Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:09 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,252,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
This is hardly worth replying to, but what the heck -- I'm in a good mood. You couldn't be more wrong. My family did not pay my way through school and went through some pretty tough times when I was growing up. Remember the recession in the 70s and the high unemployment?? Remember all the jobs moving to China? Those affected my family greatly. But this is a typical accusation when someone isn't sympathetic on this forum -- accuse them of being the heartless rich.

No, I tell people who are trying to find scapegoats for their own actions to look in the mirror.
Its comments like "hardly worth replying to" and demeaning people as having no common sense that makes you so....the way you are.

Sorry for the other baseless assumption though. I never thought you were rich, just blessed.

I realize just how much people that espouse DR's teachings get under your skin. I wonder if you will have the will to resist capping on people as being mindless idiots for getting their stuff together using his plan. Sure, they can be a little bit on auto pilot, but its generally a good thing. They are part of the solution. You can still manage your finances the way you do, which is much like I do.

As far as getting people to own up to their mistakes and look in the financial mirror, I agree with you very much. I just dont know why you have to be so sarcastic and mean spirited (I know, I can be just as much). If thats not your intent, thats how you come across. I know a lot gets lost in type. I'm sure we would be friends otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 03:46 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,972,540 times
Reality is the bottom line...after the fact. cash is king...never leave home with out it...even if it means defaulting on Credit Cards , etc. Take the advice of Suzy Orman as She tells it like it is , without all the politics and moral crap... I still do think most people did not mean to get into trouble like they have, and there are many factors that come to play, every case if different.

As a whole however , the Middle Class IS hurting big time. regardless of what some think is right , the Government will have to come to the aid of the people, otherwise , it will be the taxpayers that will be " too big to fail". As a group the Middle Class is whats keeping out Country afloat.....there must be help coming for a lot of people , otherwise we all will sink together, the rich, poor , and those inbetween.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Reality is the bottom line...after the fact. cash is king...never leave home with out it...even if it means defaulting on Credit Cards , etc. Take the advice of Suzy Orman as She tells it like it is , without all the politics and moral crap... I still do think most people did not mean to get into trouble like they have, and there are many factors that come to play, every case if different.

As a whole however , the Middle Class IS hurting big time. regardless of what some think is right , the Government will have to come to the aid of the people, otherwise , it will be the taxpayers that will be " too big to fail". As a group the Middle Class is whats keeping out Country afloat.....there must be help coming for a lot of people , otherwise we all will sink together, the rich, poor , and those inbetween.
Yes indeed. I like to read books on personal finance and have generally grown tired of pop financial gurus like Orman, Ramsey, et al. Their spiel is not lost on me, just a little too mundane. For those just discovering these folks, I have a lot of good things to say. My honeymoon phase with them was short lived, though.

Cash is and always will be king. I don't agree with defaulting though. I think thats wrong. There is a little guy standing on my shoulder that represents my most extreme wings of thought that agrees with debtors prisons. I dont think I personally agree, though.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
Yes indeed. I like to read books on personal finance and have generally grown tired of pop financial gurus like Orman, Ramsey, et al. Their spiel is not lost on me, just a little too mundane. For those just discovering these folks, I have a lot of good things to say. My honeymoon phase with them was short lived, though.

Cash is and always will be king. I don't agree with defaulting though. I think thats wrong. There is a little guy standing on my shoulder that represents my most extreme wings of thought that agrees with debtors prisons. I dont think I personally agree, though.
Sounds like you are having a fight with yourself....any bets on the winner ?

Old 03-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Sounds like you are having a fight with yourself....any bets on the winner ?

My rational, compassionate side usually wins out over the absolutist.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:49 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,980,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post

I think the Ormans and the Ramseys have a shelf life. They're sort of like the Judge Judys of the finance world. Once you watch them a while, you see that while the details change, the basic story always has at least one of several of the same elements. Overspending, abuse of debt, dysfunctional relationships, dependent relatives, putting luxury ahead of necessity, etc. It's all pretty much the same, and the advice is all pretty much the same.

There are lots of people who need to hear it, though.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think the Ormans and the Ramseys have a shelf life. They're sort of like the Judge Judys of the finance world. Once you watch them a while, you see that while the details change, the basic story always has at least one of several of the same elements. Overspending, abuse of debt, dysfunctional relationships, dependent relatives, putting luxury ahead of necessity, etc. It's all pretty much the same, and the advice is all pretty much the same.

So true. What Orman says is mostly basic , but , so are the vast majority of the Population. She does say it like it is , and that is refreshing, contary to what we hear on CNN...which always leaves us wondering what Planet they came from . Sort of like a newspaper...one reason I do not read them anymore.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,903,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

This is part of the reason why the middle class has been crushed in this country. Serious matters (money management, and debt) have been turned into infotainment by the elite. Orman, Ramsey, Jim Cramer should not be like Judge Judy.

-The biggest issue all of these "experts" should be tackling is debt. That should be the main theme. Investing, stocks, 401k contributions, those are far down the list of importance if you're paying 18-25% or more on a credit card. These shows never emphasize how long it takes to pay off debt. That should be a constant and drilled into viewers minds....it's going to take you 9 years to pay off that $6,000 credit card debt paying the minimum. 9 years! 12 years! That should be a banner hung on these shows, hung on the ceiling. Do you want to be paying a bank CEO's salary for 9 years?

-Another danger with debt is *assuming* you'll have a steady income during those 7 or 10 years, to pay that minimum payment. The volatility of the economy and debt isn't addressed. Many people have been sucked into something they don't understand. Too many blind assumptions.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
This is part of the reason why the middle class has been crushed in this country. Serious matters (money management, and debt) have been turned into infotainment by the elite. Orman, Ramsey, Jim Cramer should not be like Judge Judy.

-The biggest issue all of these "experts" should be tackling is debt. That should be the main theme. Investing, stocks, 401k contributions, those are far down the list of importance if you're paying 18-25% or more on a credit card. These shows never emphasize how long it takes to pay off debt. That should be a constant and drilled into viewers minds....it's going to take you 9 years to pay off that $6,000 credit card debt paying the minimum. 9 years! 12 years! That should be a banner hung on these shows, hung on the ceiling. Do you want to be paying a bank CEO's salary for 9 years?

-Another danger with debt is *assuming* you'll have a steady income during those 7 or 10 years, to pay that minimum payment. The volatility of the economy and debt isn't addressed. Many people have been sucked into something they don't understand. Too many blind assumptions.
You haven't listened to Suzy Orman much it seems. Most of her callers and her advice is realistic and to the point. Not what some people want to hear , but the truth...( I do agree she can be a bit grating at times , no Judge Judy however ).

Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 AM

15,643 posts, read 26,328,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
The biggest issue all of these "experts" should be tackling is debt. That should be the main theme. Investing, stocks, 401k contributions, those are far down the list of importance if you're paying 18-25% or more on a credit card.
Holy cow -- that is ALL they talk about. If people don't want to listen that's their problem. You ever hear that old adage "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."?

Although Alexander Woollcott's version was more appropriate -- his was a response to use the word horticulture in a sentence. "You can lead a ***** to culture, but you can't make her think."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance