Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 PM

427 posts, read 1,223,799 times

Advertisements

Today earlier this afternoon, i went to a branch of my bank and made a $500 cash deposit. I didn't realize until just now that my account only shows that i made a $400 deposit. I know for a fact that i made a $500 deposit. I double counted the money and marked $500 on the deposit slip. My bank never places a hold on cash deposits and my account was in good standing so there's no funny business there. I think that the teller stole $100 from me and didn't think i would realize. I think she slipped $100 in her pocket and only credited my account for $400. If she thought that i wouldn't notice she was somewhat right because i didn't notice until now, a few hours later. My bank is closed now so i have to wait until tomorrow to call them but what i want to know is has a similar situation ever happened to anyone before? And if so how was it resolved? I still have my copy of the deposit slip that i marked as $500 deposit. What i'm going to do is call the bank first thing tomorrow and tell them what happened and i'm also going to find out the name of this teller and file a police report in the city the bank is located in. Right moves on my part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:05 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,360 times
You should have checked your receipt before you walked out. At my bank, you have to sign for ALL deposits before you leave, that way, if you see a descrepancy, you can have the teller correct it before you leave. But, I know hindsight is 20-20.

Talk to the branch manager tomorrow. They take teller errors VERY seriously. One error from a teller at my bank, and they're out the door. No second chances.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:09 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,686 times
The teller that did your deposit should be over by $100. Call them in the morning.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:17 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
The teller that did your deposit should be over by $100. Call them in the morning.
That may work, but not if she slipped it in her pocket like the OP thinks. If her drawer is not off, have them check the survellance tapes.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,686 times
Whoops! You're right, I didn't read the whole post.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Bank teller "errors" are more common than people think.

I've had to threaten to move all my accounts to another bank to get the bank to fess up to not one but three bank teller errors that I proved. Later I noted that all three tellers were gone from that banks. Two were moved one was fired.

So it pays to always check your receipts before you leave bank property. Be sure to call attention to any errors before you leave!!!!

If that fails call the bank manager then the police. Theft is theft.........

Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,245 times
Always check your stuff before stepping away from the window during a cash transaction.

Tellers these days don't steal because they know the cameras are on them.

Bring it up and maybe the teller's drawer will be over a hundred and if not they look at the footage and see if it was stolen.

Either way you will know and the discrepancy can be cleared up.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 PM

427 posts, read 1,223,799 times
I think i may be facing an uphill battle on this one the more i think about it. It seems clear to me that this was blatent theft on the tellers part. This was a branch of my bank that is located in one of the "big box" stores. I was doing some shopping and did the deposit on the way out. It was a little hole in the wall, the place was only like 10x10 big, and she was the only bank employee there. I'm wondering if there was even a camera at the place. I'll tell you one thing i'll never bank anyplace except big branch locations from now on that have multiple tellers and managers present and i'm going to be extra cautious and always triple check everything i do at the bank from now on. I'm really more concerned with the employee being fired at this point than my money so this dosen't happen to anyone else. Who knows how often this activity has been going on. If the employee got 1 person each day for $100 that's $36,500 extra in her pocket tax free in a year. I was reading stories i found online of tellers being charged with theft. One got away with $100,000 before she got caught.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,245 times
I am sorry this happened to you.

Hopefully it will work out.

I responded because this has happened to me before but it was a $10 error on the bank tellers part.

Some years back I went home after depositing some money and looked at the receipt and realized it was short. So I called the next day and the bank was very nice, did an investigation and found there was no error so......after that I always double check and watch during cash transactions with the teller.

I have caught 1 almost error if I wouldn't have been on alert it would have happened again. I'm not saying anyone was trying to steal from me but human error has got to be expected; we are not perfect.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:25 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Even a "hole in the wall" branch should have a camera. I think it's the law for banks to have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance