Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 27,469 times

Advertisements

When I checked the deposit slip online, the amount was circled but not initialed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 AM

372 posts, read 521,952 times
While I realize bank teller errors are inevitable, there is NO excuse for their employers to refuse to accept any accountability for them and penalize their customers, who are their "bread and butter".

I stopped doing business with banks altogether several years ago after one of them lost a deposit ("Maybe you just thought you did it", an arrogant teller told me), and the other (one of the "TBTF" banks) deposited money into the wrong account, then charged me a $29 transfer fee to put it into the right account, causing multiple checks to bounce. I spent four hours on the phone with a supervisor before she reluctantly agreed to reverse the OD charges. When she refused to rescind the transfer fee ("It's our policy"), I demanded she mail me the required forms to file a formal complaint against the teller who committed the error. Six weeks later they deliberately sent the wrong paperwork. I gave up (which is what they wanted, anyway). The icing on the cake came when they refused to cash my payroll check (I had been doing it for months with no problems). The teller told me that though my account was in good standing, "it had been flagged because of one overdraft nine months before".

Bull. I went home, closed my account and haven't looked back since.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:06 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Where do you people find these banks? I work in a bank. If someone brings in a cash deposit which is less than what they say it is, it is resolved BEFORE the transaction is posted. If a teller is off at the end of the day, it is resolved that day, not a week later.
Maybe you all should stop patronizing large, impersonal banks, and go to a bank in which the customer comes first.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I wouldn't think it's the tellers fault, but it is hinky. Because it wouldn't be a WEEK later. It would be that night. My thinking is they're covering some sort of large outage, although they shouldn't do that.

Here's my suggestion for people who deposit cash. ALWAYS ALWAYS denote the number of bills and the amount of the denominations on the deposit slip. It's a chart on the back of the deposit slip. Mark how many hundreds you have and multiply it. The same for the other denominations. Add it up and put the total on the front.

And the important thing! Have the teller circle and initial your bill count, and the total cash amount on the front....

That way you have her acknowledgement that you gave her 3500 bucks and she's saying you did.... and if they come back to you and say you didn't, you can pull up the deposit and say -- well if I didn't, why did she initial it, like I did? Your tellers NOT count cash before they put it in their drawer?

GREAT advice.... thanks for that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Where do you people find these banks? I work in a bank. If someone brings in a cash deposit which is less than what they say it is, it is resolved BEFORE the transaction is posted. If a teller is off at the end of the day, it is resolved that day, not a week later.
Maybe you all should stop patronizing large, impersonal banks, and go to a bank in which the customer comes first.
more great advice!!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
All deposits I make give me a instant receipt. I always check the receipt and always count money when getting cash.Otherwsie would be a error;I made.If the teller does not nter the correct amount its esily corrected but I have never had it happen.I certainly wouldn't jump to the conclusio that the teller stole moeny tho.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc859 View Post
When I checked the deposit slip online, the amount was circled but not initialed.

It sound really shady. I mean, you counted the money, then the teller. And a week later they noticing an error. That is screwed up if you ask me. I also don't think this is your fault and they should give you the money back. As far as you know, you deposited 3500 because both you and the teller counted that. It just don't seam right.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I often deposit checks or cash for a couple hundred or so at a time. I normally use the drive up teller when I do this. On one occasion on a Friday I deposited a check for $8,267. I also had a deposit slip that stated I had just deposited the money. I checked my account later and found that the bank was showing a deposit of $267. My $8,000 was gone. On Saturday I drove to the drive up and asked what was up. Our bank driveup is open on Saturday from 9am till 12pm. The teller that helped me was working. I had to show him the deposit slip to prove my point. He told me he could do nothing because he was not a manager and on the weekends no one could fix this problem. He told me to come in and see the manager on Monday. I contacted the manager Monday morning and within an hour she called back and told me that the Bank's clearing house had caught the error before she could fix it. Then again this was just a paperwork error. Still it does happen from time to time. Saying that, it was not a cash transaction.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 17,231 times
My husband made a deposit into my account, as he does every 2 weeks for the exact same amount but didn't have a deposit slip this time. The teller who knows us both said I will pull her up right now, and entered the information. When I looked up the information tonight, the deposit wasn't in there and the deposit slip that he gave me was for another account. She entered the wrong account.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 PM

7 posts, read 26,230 times
jcx456, I was reading this post and was wondering how often this kind of thing happens. My guess is it happens a lot more than people think. I’ve noticed that most people do not pay attention to where their money goes.
Also, did you ever get this problem resolved?
MoneyMogul

Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 PM

39 posts, read 143,457 times
Default Be aware and very careful when dealing with bank tellers

I've been Bank of America customer for many years and I noticed a pattern over many years. Quite often the tellers would attempt to cheat me (those were not honest mistakes) out of my money either by shortchanging, attempting to not hand me cash at all (!!) etc. They would do that for amounts between $50 to $200, but never for less than $50 and that happened at least about 10 to 20 times, but once the teller attempted to cheat me out of over $600 while I was purchasing a large Certified Check. As a person who studied psychology I could see she was nervous and her eyes showed she was not being honest. My advice to you people - never trust a bank teller. Accordingly to my experiences a LOT of bank tellers are dishonest. And a lot of them are honest too. You would be surprised how many are dishonest. I tested them over and over again. The most common scam at the bank is when the teller is to accept your checks or cash withdrawal slips, then s/he begins talking about weather etc. very kindly and politely with you and then s/he would ask you how else can s/he help you without actually handing the cash to you. One teller even told me I could go, but I asked her, I still need my cash! Her face froze and became white like paper and she handed me the cash without a single emotion in her face and w/o a single apology. Some people would forget while being sweet talked to and walk away forgetting their cash at the teller's. My friend works at a bank and she is honest and she told me some stories about dishonest tellers in the bank branches that she worked at.

My advice to you people - never trust a bank teller. At all times watch what he or she is doing, watch his or her hands, count everything before and after and don't get distracted by their sweet talk. Always concentrate on what you are doing. Don't leave the bank right away, always check whether you got everything right and count the money at the counter and check all calculations for correctness. There are many dishonest bank tellers and I know all of them by face. Some of them know that I know who they are and they try to super sweet super polite talk to me clearly with intent to **** me off. Kind of: "Mr. Johnson, we are glad you came to see us.... how could we be of help, it was very nice to being able to serve you and your needs, please do come back to see us again, do have a wonderful day and it was such a pleasure to blablabla... etc. etc. and I really get tired as they go on and on... and on! Next time they do that I will see the bank manager and report all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance