Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

which banks would you choose?

I am looking into migrating all accounts to "online" banks and firms. I currently have Wachovia and BofA, and they just aren't cutting it. Wachovia is basically in corporate turmoil with this migration to Wells Fargo. Parts of the Bank of America website have not worked since mid-2008, and the website is constantly down. I am looking for higher quality than this.

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations on "branchless" banks, and a brokerage firm, where I can manage everything online. Cost is important, but customer service is a top priority. any ideas? what do y'all use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 11:04 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i use fidelity investments for just about everything including bill payment and direct deposit. i keep a local bank

Old 05-18-2010, 11:14 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I've always been a believer in small local banks, Savings and loans and credit unions. The mantra that bigger is better isn't true. The big banks want big money and the little guy is treated like a pain the rear.

But investment wise -- I went with Charles Schwab. I had a dear friend that worked there as a VP for years until she died. And out of all the things she said about work, which wasn't much as she was pretty happy there, she never complained about the "culture" of the place.

There was never a sense of them against us in the workforce.

The first bank I worked for was run well for the first 3 years, but then the head honcho took his retirement and what came in his place were people intent on sucking all the money out of the place they could, draining it dry and leaving a shell for another bank to buy.

And that led to disillusionment of the workers. Us against them. Bad culture...

Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i use fidelity investments for just about everything including bill payment and direct deposit. i keep a local bank

fidelity is what a friend of mine uses, and recommends. that, and ING.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've always been a believer in small local banks, Savings and loans and credit unions.

yes, but for me, customer service is about 95% based on the usability and features of the website. i'm looking for "branchless" banks, not because I don't like branches (i don't use them), but because i know that this online business model will force a firm to have a quality website.

If I have a transaction dispute with Amex, for example, I can click one button, or make a 45 second phone call. I had a the same problem with Wachovia, and I had to find a .PDF on their website, download it, print it, fill it out, fax it to them, and then wait 4 to 6 weeks for processing. Totally unacceptable, by comparison.

S&L's and credit unions around here have terrible websites. the website is the main reason i was still with Wachovia and BofA, but they went and screwed that up, too.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:19 AM

if you use fidelity you want a local bank......

Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you use fidelity you want a local bank......

that is what i was thinking, but i know very little about fidelity. ideally i'd have one firm, with a brokerage account, a checking account, and a top-notch website.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:27 AM

you need a place to deposit checks locally, get bank checks for various things in a pinch ,signature guarantees , etc

Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
yes, but for me, customer service is about 95% based on the usability and features of the website. i'm looking for "branchless" banks, not because I don't like branches (i don't use them), but because i know that this online business model will force a firm to have a quality website.
I guess its all how to define customer service I guess.

Frankly, you aren't going to do any better than Bank of America in terms of online banking, website utility, and features.

All ISPs/websites are going to have outages. Live with it. It happens.

Quote:
If I have a transaction dispute with Amex, for example, I can click one button, or make a 45 second phone call. I had a the same problem with Wachovia, and I had to find a .PDF on their website, download it, print it, fill it out, fax it to them, and then wait 4 to 6 weeks for processing. Totally unacceptable, by comparison.
You are comparing apples to oranges here. AMEX isn't a bank.

Quote:
S&L's and credit unions around here have terrible websites. the website is the main reason i was still with Wachovia and BofA, but they went and screwed that up, too.
Yes they do have terrible websites, but the trade-off is that you can talk with a warm body if you need to.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM

995 posts, read 3,930,448 times
Quote:
which banks would you choose?

I am looking into migrating all accounts to "online" banks and firms. I currently have Wachovia and BofA, and they just aren't cutting it. Wachovia is basically in corporate turmoil with this migration to Wells Fargo. Parts of the Bank of America website have not worked since mid-2008, and the website is constantly down. I am looking for higher quality than this.

Anyway, I am looking for recommendations on "branchless" banks, and a brokerage firm, where I can manage everything online. Cost is important, but customer service is a top priority. any ideas? what do y'all use?
For online bank, Ally bank.

For brokerage, Vanguard Brokerage Service (if you have more than 50k in assets)

If you want one shop, then ING direrct + Sharebuilder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance