Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 PM
B&A B&A started this thread

336 posts, read 252,250 times

Advertisements

I am trying to talk my husband into getting a pet. We don't really want a dog because we live in an apartment and we don't think that would be fair to the little fella, we don't want cats because my hubby is allergic, no fish because they are boring and I really just want something cuddly. We just had a baby last month but she passed away just recently. I guess it's just a way to fill a hole in my heart for awhile but I will never forget my little baby girl. Does anyone have any ideas for what pet would be a good choice for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
so sorry for your terrible loss......

a mature to senior dog would be ok in an apartment..... as would a younger dog as long as you made sure that its exercise requirements were met every day......

otherwise, maybe a house rabbit?? i don't know enough about them though to provide any more advice.......

Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Well, they're not exactly "cuddly," but I love having my snakes!! They're easy to care for (you can literally forget about them for a week without ill effects), beautiful to look at, and actually do have personalities. If you really want something fuzzy, though, I'd suggest a guinea pig... I kept those for years, and they are really adorable little creatures. Much more work than a reptile, but not really hard to care for in general. You'll just have to provide fresh produce 2x/day, continuous supply of pellets & hay, fresh water, and cage cleanings once a week. They reward your hard work with lots of wheeks, squeals, and cute "popcorning" (hopping) around their cage.

P.S. Cavies, as they're commonly known, are also very sociable - and therefore do best in same-gender pairs & trios.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-18-2010 at 05:37 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 05:24 AM

Here were my girls - Jinji (red), Pepper (black) & Cleopatra (white w/ black)

Jinji, who unfortunately died of cancer... she was almost 5, though, which is pretty good for a GP! Average lifespan is 5-7 years.

If you do end up getting a guinea pig (or other large rodent), I'll give you the plans on making that coroplast cage... it was the BOMB!!

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-18-2010 at 05:41 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 06:46 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Oh, the guinea pigs are the cutest!!!

I would suggest a guinea pig, a rabbit or a ferret.

As long as you understand whatever pet you get is a long-term commitment, someone you will have to be willing to care for for several years, any pet would be happy to have a loving home.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 AM

Btw, I skimmed over the original post too quickly, and missed the part about your daughter... I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are great therapy, though, so I think you'll be happy to have a new furry addition to the house.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
I am so sorry for the loss of your baby girl. Although you'll never fill the void of her loss, having a pet to care for is great therapy and also very rewarding. You mentioned no dogs due to living in a apartment, but what about a small toy size that can be trained to wee wee pads? One of my chihuahuas is only 2 lbs and just a few runs around the house is all the exercise she needs.

My chi's are very low maintenance compared to my larger dogs. I had guinea pigs in the past, and they are wonderful little pets. Here's a pic of mine when I had them.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. If you can get over the "ick" factor most people have, I would strongly recommend a pet rat. They are small and easy to care for, but are also very smart and friendly. They even like to be tickled!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:18 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Just wanted to add, that I have a little parrotlet that is a super little pet. Most people don't see birds as wanting to cuddle, but he loves to nest up on my neck under my hair. He is potty trained and has the sweetest disposition. Birds, especially hand fed ones can make great pets.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 PM
B&A B&A started this thread

336 posts, read 252,250 times
Thank You all for your input and condolences. You all helped me with my decision. I think either a rabbit or a toy pup (hopefully doesn't bark too much, I don't want to annoy the neighbors). I used to have a friend growing up who had 3 rats as pets and we used to play with them all the time. I think I would want something a little bigger than that. I also used to have a huge rabbit that just hopped around the house all day. I haven't ever had a small dog before because of their high pitch annoying barks but I think I might try it out. I'll probably get a puppy so I can train it not to bark and all that.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets