Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 PM

677 posts, read 1,621,179 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that we all have favorites. What are yours?

~

Birds: I will always love parakeets because my first pet was a green one named Pauleen. They're so cool and sweet, always singing. I'd really like to get a pair of lovebirds in the future.

Dogs: I think that coonhounds, german shepherds, beagles, cocker spaniels and akitas are AWESOME dogs. I don't care if they're purebread or not, but the personalities and looks of those particular breeds/mixes just seem to click with me.

Cats: I don't know much about cat breeds but I've always been fond of grey or orange cats. My darling Kimber was orange-ish so I'm sure that similar cats will always hold a special place in my heart.

Misc: I really want a hedgehog! They're so cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Misc: I really want a hedgehog! They're so cool!
They snuffle wonderfully. We could find them by the noise (outside, just wild ones) of "Sniffle. Snuffle, snuffle, snuffle. Sniff. Snuff." And there would be Mr or Mrs. Snuffles going out his or her business.

We once had a real oldie show up. He was HUGE. The dog had found him and scared the bejaysus out of the poor thing, so we put the dogs away and just sat and waiting for him to uncurl himself before he snuffled away into the hedgerow. It's the way they peek out to make sure the coast is clear that just makes you go, "Awww."

Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
My favorites are the three I currently have... cats (3 of them), dogs (1), and snakes (23). Cats are a lifetime favorite, as I've had them since childhood, and couldn't imagine NOT having one in my home. I fully agree with the saying "A house is not a home without a cat... or two or three." Dogs are just great companions, and who doesn't love the doggie "YAY YAY YAY, YOU'RE HOME!!!" greeting after a long day. My dog also saved my life in a sense, as I lost 50lbs after getting him - he got me to walk every day, and generally spend more time doing active stuff outside. I used to avoid walking more than a block, and now hiking for miles is something I truly enjoy.

Finally there are the snakes, which is a somewhat more recent addiction of mine. They're super low-maintenance, come in a huge variety of shapes/sizes/colors/etc, and do have their own individual personalities (despite what some people might think). They also don't demand attention like some animals, in fact most would prefer to be left alone 99% of the time. Plus what other pet can you leave alone for a week, and skip feedings when you're short on money or time?

Old 07-26-2010, 04:00 AM

6 posts, read 15,307 times
I like dogs...only

Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM

289 posts, read 570,243 times
Well I only have Dogs(4) & Cats(3) right now, but I have always had dogs & cats. I can't name a time when I didn't have at least one dog & 1 cat. But I've also had girbles, hampsters, a rabbit, guine pigs, birds, fish & ferrets in the past.

Cats are defiently my fave. I may have more invested in my dogs but would choose my cats anyday of the week. I've always loved tigers & I kinda think of a cat as, as close as I am likely to come to owning a tiger. Plus I have found that cats seam to own you more than the other way around. And they're so easy to care for. Give them some toys, a liter box, food, & a lap to lay in & usually they're pretty content.

Dogs are next, I guess. I've always had at least 1 dog. Currently we have my pit, puggle, my moms chihuahua, & a mutt that runs around outside that has more adopted us then the other way around. He was apparently abused so he won't let us pet him but he does take treats out of my hand. So he's a work in progress.

Hampsters, guine pigs, & birds are next. I just think they're just really cool pets to have.

And I've kinda wanted a iguana lizard (sp?). I've always thought they maybe a kinda cool pet to have. However I have also heard that they're very high maintance animals.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
And I've kinda wanted a iguana lizard (sp?). I've always thought they maybe a kinda cool pet to have. However I have also heard that they're very high maintance animals.
I had two iguanas way back when, and they are kinda high-maintenance - not to mention they get BIG! My first one was really sweet, but unfortunately he died in the first year from an unknown "exotic disease"... the second one was a real jerk and hated my guts, so I ended up giving him to someone (a friend) he found less offensive. If you want a decent-sized lizard, I would suggest a bearded dragon over an iguana any day. They have much better temperaments, easier husbandry requirements, and are cute as hell.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,916 times
Dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always loved them and always will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to have a hedgehog! Can one even own one?!
I would love a ferret, a guinea pig, and a cockatoo/large bird too.

And if I could go ahead on my "pet" choices, I would love an alpaca/llama - they are just adorable!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I would love to have a hedgehog! Can one even own one?!
Depends on where you live, as they're only legal in certain states... they're illegal here in CA, along with ferrets, African soft-furred rats, gerbils, and a few others I'm sure.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 AM

314 posts, read 414,707 times
pomerians loads of character and cute and tiny
i love the way reptiles look snakes,lizards
rats
birds
guinea pigs
fish

i just couldnt just pick one

Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 AM

408 posts, read 809,767 times
I'm definitely more of a cat person--I own 2. I also own 2 dogs (Doberman, German Shepherd)...but I absolutely LOVE my Savannah Monitor, I can't wait for him to get 4 foot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets