Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:52 PM

553 posts, read 1,544,554 times

Advertisements

I was at a Petsmart the other day and the entire place stunk so bad! Somebody's pet had been sprayed by a skunk and instead of washing it themselves, they dropped it off at the Petsmart grooming service.

It was so bad that it was burning our eyes and it was hard to breathe. Even though the grooming service is behind glass and in a separate room it didn't do any good. The place was unbearable to be in. We left empty handed and went somewhere else. My personal thought was, why would somebody subject the public to that kind of torture? But it is understandable to have this option if you lived in an apartment or something.

Having dogs where I live, it's just a given that they're going to get sprayed at least once a summer. We have a baby pool to wash our own dogs outside when that happens. We know the drill. So my question is, what do other people do when their pets get sprayed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 04:39 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
when bailey got sprayed last spring, i took her and dave straight to the groomer where she spent the day undergoing 4 deodorizing baths....she took such a hit, that some of it wafted over on to dave...... and she still had skunk on her for 3 months or so after that..... i could smell it around her face when she was wet or if it was very humid out.....

when dave got sprayed in august, i brought them straight home and doused him (head, neck, shoulders, front legs and chest) in nature's miracle de-skunker.... worked WAY better than the stuff the groomer used on bailey.... i had to wait until the house mate got home in the evening to do his face, so there was some smell in the house, but even that dissipated pretty quickly.......

Old 02-12-2011, 04:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Ours got it right in the face...and got into the house and rubbed it on the walls and the kitchen cabinets...

We had to bake coffee but it was a couple weeks before the smell was out of the house.

The dog...that was months...we didn't have tomato juice, so we wound up washing her face and scruff with tomato soup, then hydrogen peroxide, then regular dog wash...she got a lot of washes over the next few days (mostly face and scruff)...finally wore off (for a while, if she got wet, you could still smell it).

Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
I bathed our dog in tomato juice, and gave her a bath once a week for a year, I used everything, Downy, Surf, shaved her, but when she got wet, you could still smell skunk for a good six months. However, the one good thing is that dogs will only get "skunked" once, usually when they are young, after that they develop a healthy respect for skunks, and keep their distance. There should be an extra cost if you take a "skunked" dog to a groomers, like $250. You know, I probably would have paid it...except I did not want the dog in the car!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 PM

553 posts, read 1,544,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i brought them straight home and doused him (head, neck, shoulders, front legs and chest) in nature's miracle de-skunker.... worked WAY better than the stuff the groomer used on bailey....
I've never heard of this before. I'll have to check it out next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ours got it right in the face...and got into the house and rubbed it on the walls and the kitchen cabinets...
We had to bake coffee but it was a couple weeks before the smell was out of the house.
Good idea! I would never have thought about baking coffee to get rid of the odor in the house, but it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I bathed our dog in tomato juice, and gave her a bath once a week for a year, I used everything, Downy, Surf, shaved her, but when she got wet, you could still smell skunk for a good six months. However, the one good thing is that dogs will only get "skunked" once, usually when they are young, after that they develop a healthy respect for skunks, and keep their distance. There should be an extra cost if you take a "skunked" dog to a groomers, like $250. You know, I probably would have paid it...except I did not want the dog in the car!!!
I agree with the extra charge of $250 or more if I have to smell it at a store with a groomer inside the same building. Ugh!

My dog Shadow is usually the smart one in our pack, but she gets sprayed almost every other summer! She's almost 14 yrs old and still hasn't learned her lesson. Snoopy got it once and Rex hasn't been sprayed yet...knock on wood.

As many times as our family has dealt with skunk's, I thought I was an expert. But you all taught me something new. Thank you so much everyone!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
When my Cleo, who felt it her duty to bark at the two skunks who crossed the yard every night, got nailed twice on Christmas Eve on year, I sent my son to the little store at the mobile home park we lived. He came home with tomato juice and sauce. As I was working on dinner she sat in the tub and howled constantly (she was a little beagle) and I poured tomato on her, waited, rinced, watched and did more tomato. Next day everyone said she smelled like tomato sauce. She still barked at the skunks after that but I kept a supply of tomato products on hand.

I hope none show up here. My puppy is six months and his paws reach my shoulders and I can't imagine the mess trapping him in the shower for tomatoing.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
our cocker has been sprayed TWICE...he thinks there just big kitties and he needs to sniff their butts...
i also work vector species wildlife rehab...oh yeah skunks i know well...

our typicaly routein in these cases is bathtub, wash in dawn dish washing liquid, let sit for a few minutes and then rinse well, repeat, then on the third time wash in natures miracle skunk shampoo and rinse well.
then (as odd as this sounds) spray lightly with fabreeze.

you do have to act QUICK though, the longer the skunk oils sit on the coat/skin the more it gets into the pores...and the longer itll take to get throoughly de-skunked.

the dawn is great because it cuts through the skunk spray oils (the thiols) and makes it alot easier for the de-oderizing products.

ive found even with those 3 shampoos theres typically a little bit of stink left, the fabreeze seems to take care of it.
repeat the procedure in a week and then a week later again.

when its REALY bad we use this formular:
1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp dawn

mix it in a larger than you would think nessicary container as its reactive and will bubble/fizz up.
but its the best thing at removing skunky smell.
i just dont like to use it too frequently as its drying.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
our cocker has been sprayed TWICE...he thinks there just big kitties and he needs to sniff their butts...
i also work vector species wildlife rehab...oh yeah skunks i know well...

our typicaly routein in these cases is bathtub, wash in dawn dish washing liquid, let sit for a few minutes and then rinse well, repeat, then on the third time wash in natures miracle skunk shampoo and rinse well.
then (as odd as this sounds) spray lightly with fabreeze.

you do have to act QUICK though, the longer the skunk oils sit on the coat/skin the more it gets into the pores...and the longer itll take to get throoughly de-skunked.

the dawn is great because it cuts through the skunk spray oils (the thiols) and makes it alot easier for the de-oderizing products.

ive found even with those 3 shampoos theres typically a little bit of stink left, the fabreeze seems to take care of it.
repeat the procedure in a week and then a week later again.

when its REALY bad we use this formular:
1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp dawn

mix it in a larger than you would think nessicary container as its reactive and will bubble/fizz up.
but its the best thing at removing skunky smell.
i just dont like to use it too frequently as its drying.
Yup, the above formula is what I used when NOTHING else worked.

The key to de-stinking a skunked dog is to catch them before they roll it into their skin but good. If you don't discover it until an hour or so later you will be smelling Pepe LePew for weeks, if not months. Oh, and soak the collar or just buy a new one.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
when bailey got sprayed, i had to buy her a new collar, but left the skunked collar out on the deck for a couple of months.... it is fine now and is in my transport box for that dog that comes to me with no collar.... yes, it does happen....

when dave got sprayed, i soaked his collar and harness down with the nature's miracle de-skunker and it was fine the next day.....

it comes in a bottle that is about quart sized and costs about $20 or so.... i used about half the bottle on dave, (he's not called davey-long-legs for nothing) ..... and i will swear by this stuff FOREVER.... way less messy than tomato juice.... and it works VERY well.... it is in the grooming section of PetSmart or Petco.... i have a couple of bottles of it now.... i SERIOUSLY doubt that Bailey will get sprayed again.... she learns pretty quickly not to repeat an action that results in negativity.... Dave's a little more hard-headed.....

Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,831 times
We have three dogs, all Great Pyr mixes. The oldest male got skunked three times this fall. The first time, I let him out at about 2:00am, as he was making noises like he desparately had to go to the bathroom. Won't fall for that again. I let him back in and went back to bed (for about 30 seconds...then the stench hit!) The smell had permeated the bathroom, the bedroom, the kitchen, before I realized what was up. Put him back outside and took a drive to Walmart to buy supplies (middle of the night). We use the hydrogen pyroxide/dawn dishwashing liquid/baking soda recipe. We make a paste and leave it on for 10-20 minutes, then rinse. Now we make sure we have some on hand. There was still is a lingering odor on him for a few months, and I could still smell it in the towels I dried him with, although they have been washed many times. The female, only got skunked once, and not as badly. The other male is part lab, and hasn't been skunked yet. He lived his first year as an outside dog, before we rescued him, so maybe he is a bit wiser than the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets