Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times

Advertisements

I think a state that does not have laws regarding animal rescues are asking for bybs and hoarding to continue do you feel the same way ? also illegal rescues to profit ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
I don't know how much, if any, legislation there is for animal rescue groups, but it's my understanding, in CA, that if you are a registered 501(c)3 non-profit rescue, you are bound by the law to have all the animals spayed/neutered before adopting (provided they're old enough). If they're too young, there is a stipulation in the adoption contract to have the animal sterilized and to provide proof. We pay the cost if they use our vet.

But that doesn't stop some "rescues" from actually adopting out the animals while bringing more in.

I do agree that if there are no laws regulating animal rescue, then BYB's and hoarders can hide behind the facade of being a rescue.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think a state that does not have laws regarding animal rescues are asking for bybs and hoarding to continue do you feel the same way ? also illegal rescues to profit ?
Yes. We need strict laws in every State in the entire Nation preventing harding of any kind, especially of animals. We need to take away their rights of ownership to be able to get the victimized animals adopted out right away and of course for medical check ups. I'm sure they do emergency medical treatment but general checkup of the animals I'm not so sure about without the cruel animal hoarders approval. Two strikes and you go to jail no more feeling sorry for them and giving them all the power bu allowing them to blackmail everyone by refusing to allow the animals to be officially handed over to the authoritites/veterinarians. They get off on criminal charges by saying they won't give up the animal unless the authorities give up the criminal charges/jail time served they deserve.

We need to bring back institutions for these people to stay in and I don't mean give them nice apartments where their adult children can mooch off by living in a free apartment with the nutbag parent. States would save a lot more $$$ by having them in institutions with one room for each and a recreation room for them to socialize with each other. 24 hour access to all rooms on the internet would insure they aren't being abused in the institutions for the public to see. I think it would save a lot more $$$ this way as opposed to paying out free checks to all of them each month not to mention all the court costs for the States and Municipalities. IMO in the long run it would save money while preventing more animal abuse as well as protecting the public from themselves.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
Honestly? I think there needs to be a basic set of expectations, but when you start passing laws things start getting difficult. I've heard people say they think any rescue should be required to be a 501c3. If that were the case I'd never have been able to run a rescue. You're looking at around a grand for attorney fees and filing fees to file for non-profit status. That money comes from the pockets of the person running the rescue if no one else is willing to foot the bill. That's not money that was logical for me to spend. I'd never have saved enough in taxes to recover that kind of money. Instead I used it to vet pets owned by low income families that never would have been able to afford it. I was able to donate food, treats and toys to those families.

I definitely think any pet leaving a rescue or shelter should be spayed / neutered FIRST. But in areas with few spay / neuter clinics or clinics that are still over $100 how can you expect people to do rescue? With adoption fees - especially in the south - as low as they are and few people adopting, there's only so many people that can afford to support a rescue. When I lost my job I had to close my rescue. My career had been covering over ten thousand dollars a year the rescue needed to continue to operate.

Instead of passing tons of laws on rescues and shelters, how about we pass laws on breeding animals? If you're breeding, let's start to mandate that the breeding stock pass certain requirements so we know we're improving the health of animals out there? How about pushing AKC to start requiring DNA testing to confirm the puppies getting AKC papers are who they are supposed to be? Track the litters per sire and dam to make sure no one is pumping them out, puppy mill style. And ban puppy mills. Ban selling pets in pet stores like California did. Pet stores can adopt out pets from shelters instead. Areas like mine where there is no shelter would greatly benefit from something like that.

I'm not saying I've got the answers. I am saying the laws generally muddy waters. There will always be people to find loopholes around those laws. It's up to us as consumers and pet owners to support ethical rescues and shelters and the truly ethical breeders that are doing their best to improve the health of their breeds.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
We don't need laws against hoarding. We need to enforce existing laws regarding negligence and abuse.

I'd rather have a neighbor with 10 healthy cats/dogs than one neglected animal. As for dogs, if there is excessive barking - then noise ordinances should kick in.

We need to enforce the laws we have, not come up with new ones.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
We don't need laws against hoarding. We need to enforce existing laws regarding negligence and abuse.

I'd rather have a neighbor with 10 healthy cats/dogs than one neglected animal. As for dogs, if there is excessive barking - then noise ordinances should kick in.

Totally agree.

We already have laws that coveres everything found in horder and byb situations, but few are enforced. Worst yet is many so called animal lovers are the ones who promote hoarding when they refuse to accept that just because a person cares for animals does not mean they provide care for the animals.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:38 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
It's such a fine line. Our animals are well kept, good food, fresh water, clean restroom conditions, proper medical care, etc.

We realized that there is a limit to what we can handle. We went from one chronically ill animal to three in the blink of any eye. That can take a financial toll, not to mention the physical and emotional impact. We had to reassess everything after that crises resolved. No new additions for us, not for quite awhile.

Those who care about animals need to think it through and understand they can't save them all. And they also need to understand that in order to take care of the animals, they also need to take care of themselves.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:05 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post

I really agree with you, we definitely need new laws regarding the ignorant owners who neglect and abuse their animals, that to me is so disgusting and sickening. And there are more then any of us know, people take out their frusations on their animals, these are people who need to pay the price. It is just so sad, that there are some who feel that because a animal has no voice, that they have the power to abuse this animal.

That is an unspeakable act, a act of such hatred and lack of caring for the animal. Yes i say new laws need to be in place.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:12 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
Also keep in mind, just because a law is passed, doesn't mean it will be enforced. That's what we deal with where I am. There are state laws, but the smaller communities refuse to enforce them. We have a state wide leash law, but I've yet to see anyone in my area that even owns a leash. They let their animals run loose all over the place. I've seen them attacked by other pets and wild animals, hit by cars, die horrible deaths of disease and starvation and litters of puppies and kittens constantly born with most of them smashed in the road by the time they're six weeks old. Laws only work if the community wants to follow them and law enforcement wants to enforce them.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
People who rescue animals frequently skirt the law on a variey of issues because they're concerned only with the welfare of animals. This isn't the problem; the problem is the neglect and abuse of animals. In Wyoming we have a felony cruelty to animals statute; it gets their attention. This is a far better solution than trying to enumerate each specific issue.

As far as breeding is concerned, this is a public relations job. Every chance I get I tell people about tens of millions of unwanted animals dying in shelters as well as far worse places. I make the point that no intentional breeding is legitimate while this situation exists. None, no exceptions whatsoever. Every animal intentionally bred means one more animal dies, often a horrid death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets