Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Thank you, everyone, for all your responses!

I phoned my vet this morning and am waiting for them to get back to me with a mini appointment. I am not sure whether I found another small tick on him, so I just want a vet to take a quick look, as well as have them look at the area where that evil,engorged specimen of nature was attached. The area that I extracted the tick from is swollen; I really just want to get a vet's opinion on it in order to be on the safe side.

This was the ONLY year that I did not use any flea/tick preventative medication, and trust me, I have learned my lesson! As he is an indoor dog, who is only outside for as long as it takes to lift his little leg, etc., I figured the med wasn't really necessary...

Needless to say, the little guy will be back on flea/tick meds in the future! "Mom" just can't go through an engorged tick experience again, and I love this little guy more than life itself!!!!

Thanks again to all of you! You guys are terrific!!!
I think that it's a great idea to get him checked out by a vet, like you said, just to be safe. All three of our dogs are inside dogs as well. We don't have a fenced in yard so when they get let out a few times a day to go potty we take them out on a leash and they are only outside long enough to do their thing and come back in. We also walk our dogs 2-3 times a day for 45-60 minutes each walk, but it's not like we walk them around in the woods or anything! lol! We walk them on the sidewalk around in our neighborhood or on the sidewalk in the park across the street from our neighborhood. We walk them on the concrete as much as we can to keep their nails filed down, but of course they walk in the grass half of the time to sniff around and stuff. Again though, it's not like they are out in the woods or anything were you normally find most ticks. But we still make sure to always put their flea and tick stuff on every single month. We just don't want to deal with any of that, you know? Ticks are nasty, dirty little things and I don't want them on my fur babies or in my home! lol! Plus, if our dogs got fleas, that would be miserable! I have always heard that it's so hard to get rid of fleas and get them out of your home once they are there! Anyway, like I said, I think it's a good idea to take your pup to the vet just to be safe. I hope all goes well! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
peacocks and that will take care of your tick population -
You know, now there's a thought!

I have had everything from herds of deer to coyotes in my back yard, (Massachusetts!) but peacocks would be sure to draw a crowd of onlookers amongst my neighbors!

Again: THANKS ALL!!!!

Take gentle care of all your pets,
-June

Old 11-03-2007, 10:40 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
You always have to be care when trying to "pull" ticks out of anyone or anything. It is very easy for the body to snap off from the head or for it to not come out completely. This will likely result in an infection, possibly a serious one. I think the best thing to do is very thickly blob vasaline over the entire exposed area. The tick then cannot breath anymore and backs out on its own. Make sure one the tick is out you clean the area well and apply an antiseptic cream like neosporin.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:23 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,585 times
I usually take tweezers, squeeze around the area where tick is, and grab hold as closely to the skin as possible and pull and usually getting the head with the body.. They are sooo nasty, make sure to look between the toes and around the pad of the feet, thats where they looveee to hide also. We had a huge problem when we lived in Florida. And here's what they look like engorged

Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
Tara......

EEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww........!!!!!!!

We have them really bad in Arkansas - just looking at them is disgusting!

Old 11-22-2007, 08:00 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,644,828 times
after removing the tick with tweezers, i usually keep it in a bottle for later identification just in case my pet becomes ill and needs treatment. some ticks can cause illness and others are just a nuisance. make sure you remove the whole tick.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:51 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,263 times
Peacocks are beautiful however there is another thing to consider. Every neighbor within a mile will be able to hear your wonderful new birds. Peacocks are extremely loud but on the upside, it gives the place a real nice jungle sound as their call is quite distinctive. They are good for getting rid of ticks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
You know, now there's a thought!

I have had everything from herds of deer to coyotes in my back yard, (Massachusetts!) but peacocks would be sure to draw a crowd of onlookers amongst my neighbors!

Again: THANKS ALL!!!!

Take gentle care of all your pets,
-June

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 11-28-2007 at 11:18 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 07:15 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,910 times
IF you are zoned as being allowed to have chickens (depending on where in MA you are) you might seriously consider having some chickens. They're pretty quiet, they LOVE ticks, and they'll give you lots of fertilizer Chicken poop is great for the garden... And if you buy Aracana Chickens, the eggs are a pretty blue/green shell.. Easter Eggs without the time of a dye job!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,752,834 times
Tell me, how do the peacocks help with ticks? Im not following this conversation.
Do peacocks eat ticks? Someone please explain!
Thanks!
Hugs, Suzi

Old 12-18-2007, 06:07 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
LOL! Yes, peacocks DO help with ticks, just like chickens. They eat them. And they are loud. And they will fly off. I had never seen a peacock truly fly until we lived in the Virgin Islands, but yep - they do! They drove my dogs crazy with all of their squawking and carrying on...they are beautiful, but they can be a handful. But they do the same number on grass that chickens do - i.e., you won't have any if they stay on the ground much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets