Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yes, I try to do an exercise DVD every day. I take my BS before and after---it really comes down, about 50 points! I'm still stuggling to get my BS at an optimal level. I appreciate my doctor. Instead of throwing yet more meds at me, she suggested exercise to balance things out, and it seems to be working!

Its too bad there isn't some home test one could use to monitor dogs & cats blood sugar, like for humans.
There is, I have a friend who tests her cat. I think you take the blood from the ear.

Here's some info:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/glucometer.htm

Home page of that site:
http://www.felinediabetes.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:24 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
Yup you can moniter the blood glucose in animals just like you do in humans and for Cats the ear is the best site to get the blood sample and warming the ear up before poking it will usually give you a big enough sample with one poke. Cats are indeed strict carnivores as they lack the enzyme to break down carbs.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
There is, I have a friend who tests her cat. I think you take the blood from the ear.

Here's some info:

Animal Gucometers - AlphaTrak, GlucoPet, GlucoVet - FelineDiabetes.com

Home page of that site:
Saving Diabetic Cats Since 1996

Thanks! I will try....

I know from my own experience, one random sample doesn't tell much of anything. My fasting BG was quite normal, but my mid-day was over 600+

Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:
Yes, I try to do an exercise DVD every day. I take my BS before and after---it really comes down, about 50 points! I'm still stuggling to get my BS at an optimal level. I appreciate my doctor. Instead of throwing yet more meds at me, she suggested exercise to balance things out, and it seems to be working!

Its too bad there isn't some home test one could use to monitor dogs & cats blood sugar, like for humans.
Diet alone works for many people, including myself. If I don't avoid refined carbs or eat too many complex carbs, my BS goes up to just below the "danger" point she said. So right now I'm on a modified Atkins diet, consuming complex carbs only, and in small amounts.

As for our cats. They can do very nicely without any carbs at all. Before kibble hit the store shelves obesity and diabetes in cats was quite rare.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:
Thanks! I will try....

I know from my own experience, one random sample doesn't tell much of anything. My fasting BG was quite normal, but my mid-day was over 600+
Then I would think it's diet related. Have you spoke to your Dr about controlling your BS using diet and exercise alone? It's best to stay off the pills and injections if at all possible. That goes for our pets also. As for exercise I have one cat who doesn't care for exercise at all and seldom played even as a kitten. She 4 now and a bit on the heavy side. So she will have to be watched for health problems more so than the others as she ages.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21
He thinks, since animals "can't tell the difference", we might as well just give them the 4-D foods.
What a blithering idiot!!!!

THEY MOST INDEED CAN TELL WHAT TASTES GOOD AND WHAT DOESNT!

What an idiot!!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
When did they start making kibble, anyways? It seems I remember it being new when I was about 7-8, so that would be about 1960. I remember my parents just feeding the cats table scraps, meat only. Canned cat food was something of a novelty then, too. My parents saw it as a sort of convenience. Our cats were always healthy and lived long, with a diet of just plain ol' meat!

Just like with humans, animals are being slowly poisoned with processed foods.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
OK folks, as a few others have stated, the point of the article is not how great it is to feed garbage to our pets. The guy started his writing project to expose the horrific things going into your typical rendering plant and being included in pet food. He then went on to say that somewhere during the research to write this, he became far MORE overwhelmed with disgust that human processes generate such a huge volume of otherwise wasted dead creatures in the first place. Remember that scene in "Dances With Wolves" where they come upon the field of buffalo carcasses where only the hides and tongues were taken? That is the emotional sentiment he's got going on. He is stunned at the massive amount of death we produce, even more that what is done with the remains.

I agree.

But I'm still going to seek alternatives to rendered roadkill, zoo animals, shelter pets, and packing plant rejects, to feed to MY cat. It doesn't have to be "human grade" (for instance I'm not a fan of eating the brain, guts or eyeballs of any animal, but my cat would be cool with it.) But hold the styrofoam and euthanasia drugs, if you please...

Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Slightly off topic, but absolutely nothing from the slaughterhouse goes to waste. Every scrap of everything is used in some way or another.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Slightly off topic, but absolutely nothing from the slaughterhouse goes to waste. Every scrap of everything is used in some way or another.
That is true. The waste in the food industry is generally further down the chain. It's stuff that doesn't get bought at grocery stores (and gets thrown out), stuff that turns moldy/rotten in the fridge before someone gets around to cooking it, and stuff that gets dumped in the garbage because the restaurant portions were too large or someone at home cooked too much/doesn't eat leftovers.

Quote:
Overall, we waste 26.2% of all the meat that enters the US retail market.
Animals we use and abuse for food we do not eat | CountingAnimals.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets