Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

I talked to a lady today that pulls dogs (of their breed) out of shelters as soon as they become adoptable.
Sometimes this is only 4 days after intake. I found out that they make no effort at all to locate the owners,
such as free craigslist ad, checking for lost ads ..

Many dogs roam and are lost for a long time so owners don't check the shelters daily after months have gone by. It should be part of the rescue status application to show that efforts are made to reunite the dog with its owners.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I talked to a lady today that pulls dogs (of their breed) out of shelters as soon as they become adoptable.
Sometimes this is only 4 days after intake. I found out that they make no effort at all to locate the owners,
such as free craigslist ad, checking for lost ads ..

Many dogs roam and are lost for a long time so owners don't check the shelters daily after months have gone by. It should be part of the rescue status application to show that efforts are made to reunite the dog with its owners.
I assume the rescues believe that if the dog's former owner had been responsible, the dog would not have been wandering? I know that sometimes dogs get lost even when pet parents are loving and responsible, but still, I would probably make the same assumption as the rescue.

"Many dogs roam"? If they are pets, they SHOULD NOT be "roaming."

Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I assume the rescues believe that if the dog's former owner had been responsible, the dog would not have been wandering? I know that sometimes dogs get lost even when pet parents are loving and responsible, but still, I would probably make the same assumption as the rescue.

Many very loved dogs get lost, and the owners look desperately for them...
It is not always just dogs that are allowed to roam..

Old 07-09-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Bad choice of words, I meant that they get lost & then roam into other areas away from where the
owners live..

Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Which is why they should all be chipped.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Agree! All shelters operated as "pounds" are legally required (all 50 states now have such requirements) to check intakes for microchips or other identification marks. From time to time we read anout a pet being reunited with its owner due to the chip, but remember that these are the special cases. Each week dozens of pets are reunited using microchip without fanfare. It's hard to belive that there are still people who thinks themself as a responsible pet owner yet have not microchipped their pets.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
In a perfect world !!

I wish they could offer chips at lower prices with the rabies shots..
I know city clinics do that, but most vets don't.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
I hear you. A few years ago I found two unrelated Poms within a few weeks of each other. The first stop both times was to take them to the (same) nearest vet. The first dog had a chip but the owner never bothered to register it (duh!). I found the owner by checking with the local animal control. The second little (intact) fellow was not chipped. Used to say I had my Pom mojo going that month.

Lesson learned...chip the pup and remember to register.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Agree! All shelters operated as "pounds" are legally required (all 50 states now have such requirements) to check intakes for microchips or other identification marks. From time to time we read anout a pet being reunited with its owner due to the chip, but remember that these are the special cases. Each week dozens of pets are reunited using microchip without fanfare. It's hard to belive that there are still people who thinks themself as a responsible pet owner yet have not microchipped their pets.
Although pounds are required to check all intakes for microchips the sad reality is that not all do. Some animal control officers are simply overworked or just lazy and it doesn't get done. Cats are notorious for being overlooked. Even when they scan for a chip they often don't check very thoroughly.
For these reasons I think it's very important to have two kinds of ID on your dog or cat. IMO all cats and dogs should wear a collar and ID tag 24/7/365. You never know when they could manage to get out of the house or if you will experience something like a fire or natural disaster. I've seen so many cats and dogs come into shelters wearing collars with no tags. Tags could have saved their lives and can't be ignored like an internal microchip. Of course there is a risk that a collar will come off but it doesn't always happen and it doesn't hurt to take the precaution.
Indoor cats should also wear collars and tags. They can, and do, get out too.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 AM

15 posts, read 42,333 times
Yes i heard this many times, why the owners are doing very neglect about their pets..This is so ridiculous..If they can't to maintain their pets..so better to leave those cute pets and best to give up to pets inspection people's, who loves well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets