Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlacey View Post
They breed fast, fast, fast!! Don't think inbreeding is a problem. Hope you have lots of cages

True that! I just started breeding mice and i'm keeping records and tags on cages of who bred with who so i don't inbreed! I work with mentally handicapped people, i would not create mice like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 696 times
i am breeding mice of my own for a pet snake, i had bought what i thought was a prego female... and sadly it was nearly a month ago and she has not yet bred yet or whelped her babies.... i am worried although she don't really look at all much bigger then when i got her... can this be a problem?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,144 times
With mice breeding you want to start with the healthiest, most attractive mice with the best dispositions. Try to get them from a respectable breeder. It's best to make sure that your originals are not related to each other, especially if you expect you will have some inbreeding. Learn to tell the males and females apart. If you want any control over their breeding, then you will need to keep the two sexes separated when you are not breeding them. They are colony animals though, so you should have them in groups rather than in solitary -- they will be happier that way. Males get along pretty well if they are put together as youngsters (and later only introduce new ones as sub-adults).

One person mentioned breeding mice while he was in elementary school and that he had problems with cannibalism. This shouldn't happen if you keep your mice well fed and uncrowded. Do not get into this if you don't have the energy to responsibly keep their cages clean and feed and water them regularly. They have high metabolisms and a lot in, means a lot out! lol

Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick h joubert View Post
what do i need to begin breeding the white mouse for feeding reptiles, thanks pat
I breed mice and rats for my snake collection, and what you "need" depends on the size of your collection... if we're talking 30+ snakes, you'll want to get a 3-4 tiered rodent rack and at LEAST a 1.3 (one male, three females) in each bin. I can point you to some good sites, if you send me a DM - can't do that on the public forum without getting in trouble, LOL.

And to answer the original question, even though it's an ancient thread, there isn't anything wrong with interbreeding for one generation. Beyond that it's not recommended, since they can develop genetic issues as a result. Currently I have 1 breeding male (rat) with 3 females, and 2 of those girls are his daughters... creepy to us humans, but he doesn't seem to care one bit.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-25-2012 at 12:03 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 12:13 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernee38 View Post
One person mentioned breeding mice while he was in elementary school and that he had problems with cannibalism. This shouldn't happen if you keep your mice well fed and uncrowded.
Wow another ancient thread.

They will also do this if there is too much inbreeding, they basically become crazy, some will be born with no tails, partial tails, deformed limbs, all sorts of physical and/or mental problems.
Sometimes males will fight to the death to mate with a female then ride her until she dies too.

Bottom line is unless you have a large need for mice it is much better to not breed but purchase the mice as you need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets