Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 01:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

I've never had a problem killing rats and mice. Then I took care of a friend's pet rat and discovered they are truly intelligent, adorable, affectionate, and very sweet. But I wouldn't hesitate to kill any wild rat or mouse that entered my home. They multiple by the millions and are disease ridden. BIG DIFFERENCE from a pet that's been vetted and is living in a sanitary cage.

You need to eliminate the food source. They won't come into your house if there isn't a food source nearby. Mice only travel 25 feet from their nest for food. Rats travel farther but there still needs to be a food source nearby in the house, in the yard, or in the neighborhood.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-11-2013 at 01:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 05:23 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I feed both live and frozen/thawed rodents to my snakes every week... so obviously that doesn't bother me, but I consider this particular situation part of the "circle of life." Killing them for no good reason or slowly, however, is not my cup of tea. And yes, rats are pretty awesome - which is one reason (along with threats to my snakes' safety) I only feed live MICE, and won't give my snakes a rat unless it's already dead & frozen. But don't tell my fellow snake keepers that, or they'll brand me a bleeding-hearted wuss.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
better and better 4th one this week

Old 10-11-2013, 06:25 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
A large portion of Europe's population died from rat-related illness(aka the Plague). I don't think I would feel bad killing a rat.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:46 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
I'm really surprised your ferret has not attacked or killed the rat yet!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Rats are wonderfully intelligent creatures, very much like dogs. But, as loose wild rats, they can do a great deal of damage. Don't worry about having boxed it in. They are amazing chewers, so it could easily chew its way out when it needs to. I have had pet rats - we adore them. But I would not hesitate to set traps for wild rats that got into my house. They really like peanut butter, just about any kind of stinky people food. They tend to stick to the floor along the walls, so set your traps right at the bottom of the wall.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:12 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
I have a friend who is renovating his 100 year old farmhouse. He knew he had a few mice but when he started taking out walls there must have been thousands. His female pit bull is better than a cat.

I have a bull terrier and they are almost purpose bred for ratting. He wants to get a groundhog but I trap them out of the yard.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I work the night shift, sleep all day, so I just got up. Wow! The slat was removed, but one poster talked about the rat's chewing abilities, and with the loud scratching I heard last night, I can see now that this rat would have probably chewed his way through that slat eventually.

So! Onto the next phase of catching this rat!

Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieA

Dispose of it quickly. They are vermin,
harbor disease and will cause a stink where they nest that you can't get rid
off.
Yes, the babies are cute and all that....most babies are. But, I have
seen them destroy valuable items that cannot be replaced. I have no use for
rats. Think, Bubonic Plague, Ebola Virus.....
The fact that they can carry disease makes them vermin? In that case, humans are vermin as well. We carry and transmit a LOT of disease.
The chance of one catching the Bubonic Plague (which is transmitted by fleas) is laughably remote, and as far as Ebola? Come on! You can get ebola from a chimp bite, handling the bodily fluids of forest gazelles, rainforest bats, gorillas, antelopes, etc, or eating bushmeat.. The Plague and Ebola is something I'd worry about if I was a mental case.
If you're going to use diseases as an excuse to slaughter rodents, at least pick something a little more realistic.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
I wouldn't be able to kill a rat, especially after having them as pets. They're unbelievable animals, smart beyond belief and very affectionate. In the wild they live in very complex social groups, sharing babysitting duties and bringing food to the geriatrics and infirm. They exhibit empathy and would rather go hungry than to see a cage-mate get an electric shock. They're one of the very few mammals capable of laughter, and only humans, apes and rats exhibit metacognition....they understand the concept of "I don't know".

Rats laughing.

Rats Laugh When You Tickle Them - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets