Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:55 AM

23,261 posts, read 29,113,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'd never be able to kill a rat, as I've had pet rats and they're smart and affectionate, not to mention natural comedians.
My cat has brought live sewer rats into the house and I've managed to trap them and release them further away.
I'm just concerned that the one you poisoned is dying a slow death. I don't wish that on anyone.
As soon as my roommate wakes up, I'm going to have him remove that slat, and move on to Plan B, C, or D. The thought of that poor rat, scratching like crazy to get out, hungry, thirsty, crying, is too much for me to bear! My conscience just won't allow me it to let that poor animal die like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:21 AM

872 posts, read 1,264,380 times
I could never do it. As a kid, I used to run around our cottage catching them, then carry them out to the forest in a bucket and let them loose. All of this was done under the pressure of racing my grandma who was swinging around a broom like crazy trying to whack them.

I have a very soft spot for rodents; growing up, I had many as pets, and they are absolutely brilliant creatures. My rat would return to me when I called him by name, for example. They are really, really sharp. Humans don't give them enough credit.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 AM

73,115 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've never seen it, but my roommate has, but there's been a rat coming into my house, due to my keeping the doggie door open a crack for my ferret to come in and out of the enclosed courtyard.

Hunting down this rat has been much more emotionally traumatic than I could ever have imagined! Too soft of a heart I guess, even for the fate of rat!!! Imagine my working in a meat-packing plant!!

Initially, I bought a mouse trap, set it out in the garage (where my roommate has also seen this rat) with some peanut butter and chocolate. But the night I did it, I agonized all night long, fearing the rat would nibble on it, and not die, but die a slow agonizing, painful death. I didn't even want to go out into the garage, fearing I'd run into such a scene, and then what? Half-dead, what to do? Well, after a week, the rat never took the bait!

I do realize, having run into people who have pet rats, that they can be wonderful pets to have, so that hasn't helped matters at all, knowing this.

Last night, I heard some noise under my bathroom cupboards, there's a narrow slit underneath where I believe this rat made his way in, and so my roommate squirted some poison in thru the crack, and sealed it up with a temporary board. I almost went crazy, as an hour later I could still hear some movement underneath, and worrying if this rat was going thru an agonizing death. And then? Oh Lord, the idea of Karma comes into play!

Got to thinking, yup! What does around, comes around, and that's how I'm going to die some day, for my punishment!

Anyone else ever go through this trauma, just merely killing a rat?

Tonite, I haven't heard a sound coming from underneath those cupboards, and I pray and pray and pray that poor rat didn't die in an agonizing way! And if so, will you please forgive my cruelty?
I've killed a mouse before. I never felt a thing for the mouse when I killed it. I look at them as vermin. I'm scared of mice. They bite and carry diseases. I'm much less scared of snakes than mice/rats. Snakes eat rats and mice.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
.......... there's been a rat coming into my house, due to my keeping the doggie door open a crack for my ferret to come in and out of the enclosed courtyard........
That ferret is not doing his job. I suggest that you sit him down and inform him that he is going to lose his cushy position in life unless he gets to work and does what he is bred to do.

No more Dr Pepper for ferrets who won't perform.

I would not use a snap trap with a ferret in the house. The snap traps are humane because they are fast, but they present a danger to the ferret. Poison is out, too, because of the ferret.

The best bait is bacon, tied to the trap so it can't be stolen.

Either a live trap, or cage the ferret for a few days while a snap trap is set.

Get the rat before he damages the building, brings in disease for your ferret, or chews the wiring and sets your house on fire.

If you are renting and allow the house to become infested with vermin, it is going to cost you a lot of money for damage and stink when you move out.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,646,260 times
Dispose of it quickly. They are vermin, harbor disease and will cause a stink where they nest that you can't get rid off. Yes, the babies are cute and all that....most babies are. But, I have seen them destroy valuable items that cannot be replaced. I have no use for rats. Think, Bubonic Plague, Ebola Virus.....

Old 10-11-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Dispose of it quickly. They are vermin, harbor disease and will cause a stink where they nest that you can't get rid off. Yes, the babies are cute and all that....most babies are. But, I have seen them destroy valuable items that cannot be replaced. I have no use for rats. Think, Bubonic Plague, Ebola Virus.....
This is one reason I kill mice and rats. I see nothing cute about them. Disgusting, and if they can chew through things, they can certainly bite you.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:02 PM

384 posts, read 596,841 times
Research Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) sometime and then see if you would be willing to kill and get rid of rodents running around your house.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:45 PM

830 posts, read 1,541,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's easy enough. Just get a live trap the right size at a hardware store or borrow one from your local humane society. You can bait the live trap with meat or peanut butter.

Don't leave this little guy to die a terrrible death. From what you wrote I know you're not that kind of person.
Imagine my horror when my husband did this to try to trap a squirrel in our attic. He kept going up (no easy task, as there is no staircase) and checking the trap, and nothing. Finally he stopped checking and somehow we never heard any rattling... but he went up one day and there was a long-dead squirrel in the trap. I felt SO HORRIBLE about the little squirrel being trapped, desperate, as we're going about our business, totally oblivious.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,980,985 times
Mice or rats is one thing I cannot live with. We live in the country and take precautions against the field mice. If one should get into our home I would go to a motel/hotel until my husband removed/killed the critter. We have a couple of snakes that live in our barn that takes care of rodents. We co-exist in harmony, I don't bother the snakes and they stay away from me. The snakes are not my friends either but I like them a whole lot better than a disease carrying rodent.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Mice or rats is one thing I cannot live with. We live in the country and take precautions against the field mice. If one should get into our home I would go to a motel/hotel until my husband removed/killed the critter. We have a couple of snakes that live in our barn that takes care of rodents. We co-exist in harmony, I don't bother the snakes and they stay away from me. The snakes are not my friends either but I like them a whole lot better than a disease carrying rodent.
I feel the same way about snakes. I would rather take my chances with the snake than with the rats and mice. More people have died from rat-related causes than from snake bites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets