Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:15 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,576,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The compost pile, bird seed that falls on the ground under the bird feeder, dog poop that isn't cleaned up in the yard. You won't see them. They eat at night while you're sleeping. Did you check out the links on how to eliminate outside nesting areas such as piles of wood, etc? I'm not expecting you to change tomorrow, but I'm providing food for thought, and it will help other people who feel the way you do about not killing rodents. And women can be handy and close off entrances themselves. There are many ways to control rodents for people who don't want to kill them.
Fair enough! I support any alternatives to killing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 05:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Being in the big city is worse if you have irresponsible neighbors within rodent traveling distance to your home. Twenty years ago, our neighborhood got an infestation. I'm talking a major infestation throughout the whole neighborhood. It happened overnight. I went door to door and educated my neighborhood on food sources. My neighbors are great. They really cared about the neighborhood and worked hard to eliminate the food sources. My post about shooting them as they come out of the nest is real life---we did that. Shhhh, don't tell anyone. There hasn't been a rodent problem here since.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Fair enough! I support any alternatives to killing them.
Awesome!

I don't mind killing them, but I fully support helping other people find alternatives to killing them if they prefer.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,339,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Not really. If you hold those beliefs its highly probable that you live in a big city. Thats fine, but it places you in a bubble removed from the real world. Makes weak minds highly susceptible to progressive ideas. Sort of like college.

Do you live in a big city?
Don't be absurd. I grew up on a farm in the Soviet Union. I spent my teenage years on a dairy farm. I can milk a cow, churn butter, clean out chicken coops, slop pigs, fish, you name it. I never ate any of my friends, however. Just because I have empathy for animals dosns't mean I'm a clueless city person. Your comments could not have been more off the mark.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 10-12-2013 at 06:36 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Hopes, I don't think much of the cdc, as welts can attest, however most of this is probably good advice. I abide by this, cept for the compost pile, and we don't have any bird feeders, just one for hummingbirds.
My water bowls stay. That one is ridiculous.
There are better sites with more information, such as including the dog poop as a food source. They also have lots of information on rodent habitats, breeding, etc. I studied up on this issue big time two decades ago.

The water bowls aren't a big deal if there is already a natural water source nearby like a stream. But if the water bowls are the only water source around, it's a serious consideration if eliminating a water source is easier than eliminating food sources.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:32 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,462,759 times
Quote:
Actually rats do not like human activity. My going in and out of that shed, caused them to relocate without my even asking, killing, or taking drastic measures, they just moved on. Patience can be an asset. To everything there is a season.

You're getting a little carried away, comparing rodents to lions, tigers and bears.
Your experience with the shed would seem to be unique. Rats don't seem to pay humans much mind, especially if they've been conditioned not to worry about their presence. They go where the food is, they go where the shelter is, they go where the warm is. Just like us, they want food, shelter and safety. And, while they aren't nearly he risk of a large predator, my point was to illustrate why people kill them. They are trapped in death traps because they present threats to human health and well being.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Being in the big city is worse if you have irresponsible neighbors within rodent traveling distance to your home. Twenty years ago, our neighborhood got an infestation. I'm talking a major infestation throughout the whole neighborhood. It happened overnight. I went door to door and educated my neighborhood on food sources. My neighbors are great. They really cared about the neighborhood and worked hard to eliminate the food sources. My post about shooting them as they come out of the nest is real life---we did that. Shhhh, don't tell anyone. There hasn't been a rodent problem here since.
You'd hate having me as a neighbour. I feed birds, feral cats, skunks and raccoons.
(and there's always a water bowl)

Old 10-12-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You'd hate having me as a neighbour. I feed birds, feral cats, skunks and raccoons.
(and there's always a water bowl)
If we ever have an infestation caused by a neighbor like you, I have ideas on how to eliminate the problem.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
If we ever have an infestation caused by a neighbor like you, I have ideas on how to eliminate the problem.
Does it involve guns? A REALLY, REALLY big glue trap for me?

Old 10-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Does it involve guns? A REALLY, REALLY big glue trap for me?
Now we're getting off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets