Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

I put my dogs away. It's called not being a dick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 07:37 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Why don't you tell people out front that you do not work in homes that have dogs?
Or just note on your website that there will be an additional $75 charge if animals are present.

When people call to set up the appointment, ask if pets will be confined or if they will be in the vicinity of the techs and that fi so, there will be an additional $75 charge

If they ask why, explain that it takes additional time to deal with pets and only certain techs will go out to homes where they will be dealing with pets and you will need to schedule one of those.

Some people will be ticked off. But it's an easy enough problem to fix.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:38 AM

237 posts, read 245,660 times
I always put up my dog for people or send her away. Maybe tell people you are allergic?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:17 AM

201 posts, read 279,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I don't agree with Nickchick's point of view either, but they seem like a very polite and respectful person. Does this subject really warrant calling someone "despicable"?
Yes.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:25 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
I rescue and generally have at least one critter that is new to the house and my rules. Generally, it takes but a few days to learn the house rules but in the case of feral animals, it might take a little longer. The house rules are simple: no jumping on people, no sniffing without permission, sit by me or it's crate/room time.

Guests who want the animals near them or fellow rescuers will let me know their preference and yet the rules still stand: no jumping on people (that even includes guests who like it - no jumping on people!) and no excessive sniffing.

I'm sorry you are running into obnoxious pet owners, OP. Perhaps this is something you could discuss with the employer so that when the service is scheduled, the situation of the pet interfering with your duties is handled ahead of your arrival.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:27 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I have come to a point in my life where I simply do not trust or like people who do not like dogs.
And I don't trust or like people who judge others based on something as stupid as that.

There is absolutely no excuse for people allowing their dogs to bother someone coming into their home to provide a service.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:28 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is the kind of thing that boils my blood when I'm looking for places to live and see: "No pets" over and over and over and over and over again.

It's the human's domain over the dog. The human invited someone else over to perform WORK. The human needs to take responsibility for their dog. It does not hurt you nor your dog one iota to put the dog away while the person that you invited over, TO WORK, is there WORKING.

I've had it with people who own pets and make excuses for their poor behavior because it makes it so difficult for those of us who are responsible pet owners to find good places to live, for one, and we can't take our dogs to so many places, for two, because some people in this world do not know how to be courteous, considerate, or conscientious to others.

I love my pets. I will do anything for my pets, but I'm not so rude and arrogant as to think that everyone else on this world will a) love my pets b) want anything to do with my pets.

It is your home, not the dog's home. If you wouldn't let your children run up to the workman, screaming at him, smearing him with jam hands, then don't let your dogs up to him either. Have some fricken respect for other people.

Instead of the workman having to find another line of work, how about you learn how to fix it yourself since you're too irresponsible, rude, inconsiderate, and allow your dog to be obnoxiously behaved when a stranger comes over that YOU INVITED OVER to work.
Amen, amen, amen.

The original poster "Mr Maryland" is correct. (My words now) He isn't paid to be "The Dog Whisperer." He is paid to fix your toilet, adjust your satellite dish, or make sure the lock on your closet works so you can hide your lifetime supply of condoms or blow-up dolls, whatever. It is NOT HIS/HER JOB to be your dog's friend or buddy. This isn't the Animal Planet. He's a plumber, an electrician, a carpenter. He is NOT a dog psychologist.

Heck, to that end, I'm not that sympathetic towards those police-shooting-dog controversies either, especially if the person knew the police were coming. One guy locally ASKED the police to come by, and didn't put his dog away knowing they were coming, and of course was "outraged" when the police shot his dog charging after him. "Justice for Cynthia," please. You should've put your dog away. Period. No excuses. Ever. That police officer was there to investigate the burglary at YOUR REQUEST. He wasn't hired to mentor your dog and let him charge all over him. (Fine job that dog did "protecting" your property from the burglars, too, now that I think about it.)

"Nick" or whoever, the attitudes of those are why you "Three Wolves in Snow" have to put up with what you put up with. That's exactly what I tell my best friend, who is a dog lover and whom I get along with great (and he does me)--other dog lovers, the irrational ones, ruin it for you. I've been diagnosed with Asperger's, at one point I speculated I might have "misophonia" (where your nerves in your brain are different than others thus making you hard-wired to be intolerant of specific sounds) and (probably) owing to those issues I absolutely CANNOT STAND the noise of a dog barking. Yet, try and tell a neighbor that who owns a Yorkshire Terrior that flaps its stupid gums at everything from Asphalt to Zebras. Heck this one neighbor we had like that for awhile, he (his wife especially) acted all aghast at the mere suggestion of keeping such a dog inside. Every single time I committed the unpadonable sin of, egads, walking onto my yard, there it went. It would not shut its stupid mouth.

Heck, that dog would even sometimes go to where the bus dropped off my pre-K daughter nearby and would circle her ankles barking at her, halfway trying to bite her--and of course, the neighbors did NOTHING when I complained about that until I started showing up with my own larger (and usually restrained) dog and, when their dog showed up, I'd turn my dog loose and it would chase it off, I'd say "fine, you let your dog run loose, two can play that game." It took doing that, and also telling them that if their dog bit my daughter that I'd be pressing the matter legally, to get them to FINALLY do something about it. You can't reason with such people. (Thankfully they're gone now.)

No, someone comes here to fix my pipes, my 2 dogs are kept well out of the way. I don't even tolerate them BARKING. Keep your mouth shut. I've got enough sense to know who belongs and who doesn't, and it's my house not yours (meaning it's not the dog's house). Heck, as this poster, said, I even keep my CHILDREN out of the way, and to be frank, no one's dog is as important as anyone's child. Just do it, and stop making excuses.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
My plea to dog owners.

I am a service provider that performs service calls in peoples homes. In the course of my work week, I encounter many dogs. I like dogs, I like all animals.

With that said, PLEASE stop with this "he has to sniff you" nonsense ritual when I ring the bell and you come to the door. No, he doesn't have to sniff me. Not at all. In fact, since I am on the job, he should be put away before I even enter your home. I'm working, I'm not here to play with or meet your dog. There is no reason Fido can't wait for 45 minutes in another room while I work.

When you demand that "he sniff me", what he actually does is lick/slobber on my hand/arm/leg/tools/Ipad/phone etc, and more often than not - ram his nose hard into my testicles while my hands are full with my tools/Ipad/phone and other work related items I am juggling.

First off, before he got to lick/slobber on my hand/arm/leg/tools/Ipad/phone, he was in all likelihood licking his own testicles or another animals testicles, and worse yet, his own anus or another animals anus. Now I have to do my work wondering what my hand/arm/leg/tools/Ipad/phone is contaminated with (as you naturally never offer me a hand washing station after "he sniffs me").

This really sucks for me.

After the hand droll comes the nose to the testicles. This is degrading and often slightly painful. I don't know and I don't care why you allow this, it just needs to stop already. I don't care that it's only a second or two that he does this, the fact that he does it is awful for me.

Think about it this way - your home is my workplace. I am working. I am not there to play with, meet, or care about your dog. I am sure he's totally awesome, but again, I am working and I have a task to complete for you in that capacity. The dog does not need to be involved. Would it really be that devastating to him or you to just keep us separated for the brief time I am there? Like, just suppose for a minute he didn't get to sniff me... (oh the humanity, I know)... would his little doggy world view just come crashing down all around him? Would yours? Would he or you need therapy to work through the horror of sniff denial?

He does not need to sniff me, and I shouldn't have to play along. I implore you to knock off whatever this actually is (personal power trip? Misplaced worry for your dogs very temporary psychological well being? Whatever it is - it's not necessary). Just stop.

I will let you in on the fact that your insistence that I get drooled on and nut tapped often costs you money. I am very good at playing along like nothing is wrong, but inside I am pissed and I often take it out on you by finding extra ways to charge you. Sometimes by a whole lot.

Thanks for reading, and please consider what I wrote before making your arguments as to why I should just accept it, it's your home, etc. I know all the arguments certain delusional dog owners have as to why the way they and their dogs interact with others is just perfect. Just at least consider what I wrote and what I am requesting. It's not unreasonable.

Thanks.
I agree. I love dogs and have two. I put one away when someone comes over, since she barks and is irritating. I sometimes leave the other out. He's a friendly cocker spaniel who loves company. He doesn't sniff, but will try to greet them by jumping up. I stop that immediately and order him to go to "home base" (the sofa). He will pretty much stay away after then, but watch excitedly. If he doesn't stay there, then I put him away.

It's true that the workers are on a clock and are not there to befriend my pets.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I don't agree with Nickchick's point of view either, but they seem like a very polite and respectful person. Does this subject really warrant calling someone "despicable"?
It's alright though. I'm not worried about it. I always say "my ego is small but I still don't give a sh--". Even though it's pretty clear they had selective reading, it's no big deal since this whole thread appears to have been one big misunderstanding anyway.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-19-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-19-2015, 10:16 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
I have two dogs. They go into the bedroom, with the door closed, when a service provider comes over. That's mostly because my little dog will bite, but I also wouldn't let them sniff or lick.

The cats do stay loose but don't generally bother anyone and tend to hide or stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets