Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,279 times

Advertisements

After years of checking out CD stats and forums, here I am posting. I will get bashed for this and I sure deserve it.

I've been watching pets on and off for years. Yesterday a dear friend asked me to stop by and feed and let their dogs out at supper.

I forgot. It fell out of my head until it woke me from a sound sleep at 6:15am.

I didn't set an alarm in my phone, write a note or put it in my calendar. I typically do at least one of these things, but more so if it's in advance so I keep my schedule clear. I have never ever forgotten a last minute "can you check on my kids" even without a reminder though.

I told myself to write it down. I said nah, I'll remember. And I did, through early afternoon. But not when it mattered most.

I sent them a text when I woke up and have not heard back. I have no idea where this will lead. I'm not sure I'd forgive someone for doing that if the shoe had been on the other foot. I am completely devastated and have been having anxiety attacks for 2 hours now.

I am at a point where I don't even know whether to call them or not. I'm kind of surprised they didn't touch base with me when they got back. We are (or at least were) good friends and help each other out often.

Going to go look for a bridge to jump off of.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 06:49 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
the good news is as long as the dogs don't have health issues, skipping a meal shoudlnt be that much of an issue...
they probably made a bit of a bathroom mess to clean up but hopefully that's the worst of it...

Old 10-02-2016, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
the good news is as long as the dogs don't have health issues, skipping a meal shoudlnt be that much of an issue...
they probably made a bit of a bathroom mess to clean up but hopefully that's the worst of it...
I know and I keep telling myself that. One of them is crated and they don't like to keep him crated more than 4-5 hours, so I really let the poor pup down on that. They were home last night so it would have been a few hours at most.

Asking me was a convenience and a bonus for the dogs, to get out and have some companionship, play time and dinner on time.

It's the element of trust I'm most upset about on this one. They count on me to take care of their pets at the same level they do, and I really blew it.

If I could not have done it and told them so, it would have been fine. They still would have gone out for the day. But the fact that I said I was around (and I was) and then failed to show - inexcusable

Thing is I was really looking forward to seeing them too! I'm absolutely shocked I did this - it scares me that something like that would just fall out of my head for so long! I can see losing track of time and being late but wow - 6am I remembered!

Last edited by can't believe it; 10-02-2016 at 08:02 AM..

Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,386 times
Oh no! I used to be a pet sitter, and still have nightmares about forgetting or losing pets. I would feel as horrible as you! But I'm also a pet mom myself, and we're all only human! -- so if I were the dog owner in your situation, and if you apologized and did truly seem sorry, I would understand and have no hard feelings, at least in this specific situation.

I hope they did understand, and you were able to enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Old 10-04-2016, 05:27 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I hope you can make them understand. It's obvious you feel badly, and as foxy said the worst is that there may have been a mess to clean up. It's not like forgetting because you didn't care. I recently read a quote that said, the biggest lie I tell myself is that I don't need to write myself a note. It's true for a lot of us!

Old 10-07-2016, 12:03 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
We are human and we forget things. I did the same thing years ago with our friend's Golden 2 Retrievers. She kept them in the front porch and asked me to go over and let them out around 10pm. The owners were just gone for the night, so it isn't like they were trapped in a house for hours or days, thank goodness~!

The owners came home to messes on the floor the next morning. I felt very badly for the dogs and owners, and very embarrassed about myself forgetting them.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:26 AM

667 posts, read 1,849,230 times
When it's not your usual schedule, it's very easy to forget. This is very very human. I have forgotten things I absolutely promised to do. Next time ask them to call to follow up to see that everything went okay, and don't agree unless they will do that.

That's what I do now when someone asks me a favor. Yes, I will do that, but you must call because sometimes I forget.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:49 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
foxywench is right; the dog is almost definitely fine (if a bit bored).
I would just express my sincere apologies to the owners, as I'm sure you have.

If the dog is fine, they'll forgive you. Don't spend too much time beating yourself up over it.

Anyone can make a mistake once; the difference comes down to what you do to fix it. I bet you won't forget that alarm next time

Old 10-12-2016, 10:32 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
If they were my dogs I'd be a bit annoyed with you, but a sincere apology, and maybe stopping by with some dog treats, should go a long way in moving forward.

Don't feel too bad, I feed my dogs twice a day, and on hectic days, sometimes forget their breakfast. My 150 pound Bouvier, who hates missing a meal, will fuss at me in the kitchen, to make sure he gets fed.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
If you cared for my pets before and did a great job, I would accept your apology and move on. Poo happens. You are human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets