Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:38 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times

Advertisements

You know what you have to do, or you wouldn't be here questioning your decision. Cancer is going to kill him regardless, there is no cure, it's a final act of love for your old friend.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:15 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
I'll share what my feelings were the last time I was confronted with such a choice. I had a 14-year-old Pomeranian who woke me during the night, gasping for breath with a severely collapsed trachea. We rushed him to the emergency vet, where they did x-rays and tests, and told me that they could try to operate, but that the chances of success were slim. He was in terror, and his lips were turning blue. Nothing they did could relieve his distress. They tried to sedate him so he would at least be calm enough to stop gasping, as that was making it worse, to no avail.

When I tearfully told the vet to please euthanize him, she said that she knew it was a difficult decision. My reply was that, no, it was painful, very, very painful, but it was not difficult. We sat in a nice waiting room while they tried to calm my baby enough for a peaceful goodbye. No use. He was still gasping, still terrified. I held him in my arms as they administered the drugs that would bring him peace. I cried then, and am crying now, as I remember that night, and imagine the sorrow that may lie ahead for you. It hurt like hell, but when I felt that trembling little body relax in my arms, I knew I had done the right thing for him.

My dog didn't have cancer. If he had, I might have tried the chemo and seen how it went. You may want to do the same. One day might be early to make that call. Ultimately, though, only you know your dog, and whether or not he is enjoying his life.

It has always been my feeling that when an animal is ready to go, they will let us know, if we have eyes to see it. If you do come to a point where you decide it's time to say goodbye, I can't say I wish the choice to be painless - it won't be. I do hope that it won't be difficult.

Please consider yourself and your precious friend hugged.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Someone once told me it was better to put a pet to sleep a day too early than a day too late. You know what needs to be done. Your dog should not suffer.

Sending you strength and hugs.
Based on the information presented, I tend to agree with Charlotteborn.

If I could have spared my MOTHER that last round of chemotherapy, I would have and I would certainly do it for my helpless animal.

It's a terrible and horrible decision, I know. I struggled with my decision for months and came here many times for solace.

Peace be with you. Whatever decision you make, make it with love and it will not be wrong.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:30 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
You need to LET GO. I understand. I have a Labrador retriever who is pushing 14. He cr@ps in the house all the time, and occasionally pees on the house now. He has dementia and now has the intelligence of an Afgan hound(the dumbest dog in the world, not a Lab, the 7th smartest--he can no longer play the piano or tell us who is president). He can barely walk. His human age would be about 96 years old now.

My wife and I have agreed that when he can no longer walk or he starts consistently peeing in the house, then we will have to put him down. It will happen in the next year. Normal death age for a lab is about 10-12 years, so 14 is very very old.

He can no longer run or chase a frisbee, and most of the time he just sleeps. We are pretty sure he is in pain all the time.

You have to let go. WE UNDERSTAND. ITS VERY VERY HARD.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:38 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You need to LET GO. I understand. I have a Labrador retriever who is pushing 14. He cr@ps in the house all the time, and occasionally pees on the house now. He has dementia and now has the intelligence of an Afgan hound(the dumbest dog in the world, not a Lab, the 7th smartest--he can no longer play the piano or tell us who is president). He can barely walk. His human age would be about 96 years old now.

My wife and I have agreed that when he can no longer walk or he starts consistently peeing in the house, then we will have to put him down. It will happen in the next year. Normal death age for a lab is about 10-12 years, so 14 is very very old.

He can no longer run or chase a frisbee, and most of the time he just sleeps. We are pretty sure he is in pain all the time.

You have to let go. WE UNDERSTAND. ITS VERY VERY HARD.
Addressing the comment in bolded black. I don't want to be mean, but if you are sure he is in constant pain, why are you waiting, while telling another pet owner to go ahead?

Old 04-08-2017, 12:08 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
I did a home hospice for my 14-year-old cancer-stricken dog. We consulted a hospice veterinarian who came by and gave us some supplies as well as prescriptions for everything else we needed. I think it was more comfortable for everyone. This was over the holidays, so we were there for him 24/7.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:12 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Hey.
Its a terrible situation in my house. My Golden Retriever is 10 and just got diagnosed with cancer(malignant). The cancer lumps are in chucks on his neck region. On top of that he has stopped walking. He was gradually becoming slow but now his hind legs won't take the weight. Doctor says he's got arthritis and the bone marrow is weak because of the cancer.

Yesterday the doctor asked us to make a decision. We bought the chemo pills and gave him yesterday but he was miserable. Woudn't eat or drink, both gums were stuck. There are a few other tablets and I feel his body won't be able to take it.

Now he is 10 and on reading online I find Goldens have a usual 10-12 span and to go at 10 isn't all that bad. We are thinking of not giving him chemo. Doctors said he could go in a month or 6 or may even live a year.

Any suggestions?
I am so sorry. The humane thing to do is have your dog put to sleep

would you like to be an old elderly person kept alive? he already has so many health issues he'd need to
endure the last year-two years of his lifespan that his quality of life would likely be dismal.

Blessings to you, again, so sorry for this

Old 04-08-2017, 12:29 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
There were different ways I knew with each cat and dog when and how they would pass on.

For me, the short answer here is...your dog is not drinking. With one of ours I knew one day this peppy guy that was losing fat would stop eating. Next day he would stop drinking. Right then I would have him checked for an obstruction and put to rest.

Not drinking is your key. Don't let his organs thirst to death. Love him, stroke him as they give a shot to relax him. Talk to him before that because, to be honest, in weak dogs that relaxing shot can knock him out. Then the final shot. Know you saved him worse pain.

So sorry. He had a great life and the best passing possible.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:32 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Someone once told me it was better to put a pet to sleep a day too early than a day too late. You know what needs to be done. Your dog should not suffer.

Sending you strength and hugs.
This cant be said enough.

I had a beagle who at 15 may have had a stroke. Any number of things might have happened to her. For 2 days we listened to her suffer before she finally succumbed. That was the worst torture I have ever experienced. I dont even want to imagine what she was experiencing.

On the flip side we had a grey hound who at 13 was in constant paid from varying old age ailments. I made the decision to put her down. It killed me because just standing there looking at you you would have thought she was fine. As bad as that was it was nothing like watching that beagle go painfully.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:18 PM

4,865 posts, read 2,674,972 times
here's another vote for 'it's time'

my heartfelt condolences to ya..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets