Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:31 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Yes. I've had many dogs through the years, but with one in particular, a beautiful white greyhound, I waited too long. It haunts me. I feel I failed him.

Based on your opening post, rishi, please do the humane thing and have the pet put to sleep.
I waited too long with my little poodle and my decision or lack of also haunts me. I have to agree with this poster.. Do the right thing for your dog. If he can't eat or walk, it's time..

Old 04-09-2017, 02:38 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Rishi my heart goes out to you.

From my experiences it is the one who is closest to our animals can only make that decision.
You see their eyes and health everyday and any changes for better or worse.

Step back take a breathe and try to go to the logic part of your brain. Which is so hard to do in such a time of fear and sadness.

Don't rush. Take a good couple days and think.

May God bless you and your sweet pup.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:40 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
When the time does come you may already know this, all of vets will come to your home to help your let pass. If you prefer that.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 492 times
Default Loving your pet enough to let it go painlessly

Oh, Rishi, I am so very sorry for you all...especially your dear dog. I've worked in animal rescue for most of my life and now in my '70's, I can share...sadly...that this decision is probably the most difficult any animal "owner"/lover ever has to deal with. With what you've shared in your most recent post..(today)...I see strong indications that should tell you that your dog is definitely suffering and that it is time for you and the others who love him to help him out of his pain now.

POINT: Animals will not tell us how BADLY they are hurting until the level is usually excruciating. That he can't stand or walk as well as the diagnosis of an active Cancer is a strong sign that he is in really a bad way. POINT: Some vets see us as income. Sad but true. It is a simple shot and usually takes very little time for your pet to be free of pain. Bless your good heart for knowing what you must do. It is the last act of kindness and love you can make for your beloved animal friend. You are both in my heart and prayers today, Rishi. I am so sorry.

(PS I just read some of the other posts. The advice is kind and helpful. WE are with you, friend.)

Last edited by Kate P; 04-09-2017 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: adding some information

Old 04-09-2017, 05:12 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,831 times
I have a shih Tzu who had a large lump (cyst) on his head. I took him to the vet (a different one)for evaluation, as I had already had the fluid drained once but it came back almost immediately. This vet was really kind when she gave me my options....I did not choose to have the cyst tested for cancer because of my circumstances, the young age of my dog, and the vet's recommendations. She asked me if I would choose to treat the cancer if it should be found. I was pretty uncertain, but figured chemo was dreadful for people who could understand why they were doing it....for a little dog that had no idea, well...I decided against it. The vet told me that there is no one in the world who loves her dogs more than she does, and that she would never choose to put them through chemo for that reason. If your dog was sick from the pill, maybe that is the answer for you, too. I know it is such a difficult and heart breaking experience----I have had to have several beloved pets put down in my adult life. Just thought my experience might help clarify a possible way of looking at it. My other little dog is 11 yrs old and slowing down. It's not time yet, but I know it is coming..... (btw, the first one is fine, and after having the cyst surgically removed, seems to suffer no ill effects, to my vast relief) OP, good luck with your decision---I wish you the best and am sending caring thoughts your way...

Old 04-09-2017, 07:49 PM

586 posts, read 555,028 times
My dog is 12 and is sitting beside me while I type this. I know for a fact that I will lose my **** when it's time for him to go—and I hope he'll make that decision for me, rather than the other way around.

I am sorry to hear that you are facing the end of the time you have with your dog, and I hope that when it's my time someone will take the opportunity to write me a note and tell me that I'm not alone in my grief.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:42 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
A humane euthanasia is the last gift we can give our beloved pets. We remove their pain and take it on ourselves.
Ive had at least 3 dogs and several cats at a time over the last 35 yrs. Many of the dogs were already old when I got them. Giving them a kind ending is soooo very painful for me, but I don't want any animal of mine to suffer.
OP...please talk to your vet, and ask how dogs with your dogs conditions usually end up, and if they risk suffering. He would probably say yes. Let your dog go before he is suffering, and he still has his dignity. Animals only live in the present. They don't think, darn, I wish I had a few extra days. They only know if they are suffering now.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:49 PM

236 posts, read 259,277 times
Talk to your vet tomorrow morning and ask what the prognosis is with treatment, as well as what the vet would do if it was their dog. Ask the vet if she thinks your dog is suffering. You need to get some objective facts and statistics and your vet's guidance on whether treatment will help (if so, for how long and also ask about the side effects). When my dog had cancer, I wrote a huge list of questions with my vet's answers because I knew I wouldn't remember most of it afterwards.

Did the vet tell you what stage it is (you didn't mention the type of cancer but it sounds like it may be advanced lymphoma)? The arthritis combined with the weakened bone marrow probably complicates things. Were any painkillers and/or Rimadyl (for the arthritis) prescribed? Something like Tramadol will help the pain but may also make your dog a bit out of it, so you'll probably want to discuss that with the vet as well.

My dog had really bad disease and did very well for close to a year after treatment until the tumor grew back, but it was a different kind of cancer and he was young and without arthritis.

You may also want to look at the quality of life scale and remember that you know your dog best.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,850 times
A dog in terminal pain is a terrible thing to have to deal with but leaving him or her in pain is worse. Time to love and let go. Very sad, but the right thing to do.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:54 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
I just want to reiterate what a kind person suggested above: when the time comes, have a vet come to your home, rather than take your dog to the vet. So much less anxiety, so much more peace--for both of you, in fact.

My heart goes out to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets