Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times

Advertisements

So my wife has decided to adopt two Guinea Pigs from a rescue in Albuquerque. She had them before, I didnt. What should I expect ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:26 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Expect to be owned... This little vid sums it up nicely: The Guinea Pig Way

When raised and handled properly they are cuddly, sweet, intelligent little friends. They have relatively short life spans, and if they get ill they go downhill VERY quickly.

Most GP's are quite vocal and they have very distinct sounds to indicate Hunger, Happiness, or Anger/Irritation. If your wife has had them before she is probably familiar with their dietary needs already... is there something specific you were curious about?

We adopted 4 from a rescue involving a *herd* of 200+ that were found running wild on someone's property... we CAREFULLY chose 4 females to be sure there would be no hanky-panky going on.

What we (and the humane society) didn't know was that 2 of them were already pregnant! We went from 4 to 7 in a few short weeks.

The Guinea Pig birth process is simply amazing! One minute you have a morbidly obese Pig who cannot even lift herself to the food dish, and short time later there are miniature replicas in the cage... no mess, no fuss.
When the babies (usually only 1 or 2) are born they are about 1/2 the size of the Mother, their eyes are open and they will start eating solid food immediately.

Our Gray one had two that looked so much like her, we didn't realize she had given birth right away. They were cuddled up to her sides so she just looked like she was still pregnant... until one of them lifted his head and looked at us!!

Ours have all gone on to GP heaven, but I might still have a pic or two somewhere...

Old 04-18-2008, 07:40 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Also, they cannot handle any kind of dampness, so do not put the cage in a basement or anything. They are prone to wet-tail when you do this. They are so cute, I am thinking of getting one for my kids. Had rabbits and a "pig" growing up.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 PM

27 posts, read 97,194 times
i live with two big pigs- boars !

they are the sweetest boys ever. make sure to feed them a high quality pellet- like oxbow brand.

alfalfa is for pigs six months and under, and pregnant sows.

timothy hay should be fed to pigs over six months of age. hay cakes are healthy treats- not the sugary items sold in pet stores. fresh fruit and veggies in small amounts- size of finger nail -because they only weigh a few pounds. my boys are 3lbs.

make sure to locate a reputable exotic vet. sometimes skin lumps appear, usually benign, although can grow quite large. gps are allergic to antibiotic ointments, and regular meds for humans and cats/dogs. they are totally different little beings.

temperature is huge- colds and heatstroke are indeed very serious. i maintain between 69-74 degrees F. no dampness or drafts, as someone else kindly posted. be mindful that they do not bounce - keep them really close to ground level when handling if possible.

mine are freewheeling, but i do not have children or other pets, and i block off a room with lots of cables and books, et c. guinea pigs like their own space, being prey animals. they feel secure when their belongings are returned to their spots after cleaning- and will let you know, as they are quite vocal!! i have cubes [organize it! from target] than i fashioned together with connectors, and put around the walls with a vinyl shower curtain underneath. the cages in pet stores are not adequate for the amount of exercise a gp requires, and they are no fun to clean. a larger environment is easier to clean, responsible as a gp hooman [that would be you!], and enjoyable for the pig. make sure to have hiding spots- for their prey needs. a plain cardboard box- no tape or stickers or lots of coloured ink. plain cardboard- like egg boxes from the supermarket, with holes cut for entering and exiting make GREAT play spaces. oh! and they can chew the cardboard too, which helps to wear down the ever growing incisors. i'm going to post some terrific links for you [anyone interested].

i have tons of information if you are interested. please write any time, and give them lots of love, space, good vitamin c tablet-oxbow, quiet time, and appropriate chew items/treats. pigs can live for ten years. mine are over three years of age.

i'll post photos soon!

links:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm

http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

i think the above site listed some medication dosages which were not correct. my vet looked them over and so i am not advocating the medication page be used without vet consultation, please.

enjoy your sweet guinea pigs. they are lovely, and a lot of fun.

best,

CM

Last edited by CrowsMatter; 02-11-2009 at 04:35 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 AM

10 posts, read 53,754 times
In Peru the guinea pigs just run around on the floor of the house. Not just a couple either. (on that note- looked like someone spilled raisins all over the floor too)

They place some young ones into a guinea pig ladder- as they grow they get moved up the ladder.

Once they reach the top:

Or you can just out for supper:

THe guinea pig was chewy and not much meat- but the llama and alpaca was very good.

Moderator cut: deleted link to personal website

Last edited by leorah; 02-12-2009 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: No signatures or posting personal websites

Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
Omg.......

Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 AM

16 posts, read 56,204 times
Oh my gosh congratulations you will love them!! I used to think guinea pigs were weird, and then I adopted one, and another, and I am a 'cavy slave' for life.

I've put some effort in developing educational guinea pig resources online for folks just like you who are new to guinea pig ownership (or rather...guinea pig ownership of you...hehe). I hope some of these pages will help you learn how to take care of your new friends!

The guinea pig guide I wrote with links to all of its parts can be found here (there is no cost to read it. I put it on Squidoo which is sort of like about.com full of useful articles)
Are you Ready to Adopt a Guinea Pig?

Another website which is immensely helpful as far as advice from other guinea pig owners is: Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home they have a great messageboard (there's a forum link at the top)

Also, please please please make sure to find a local vet that handles exotic pets right away. The worst thing you can do is not find a specialized vet and then wait until the guinea pig has a problem, then have a hard time finding one when it's too late. Despite their small size, guinea pigs do require a lot of maintenance in terms of keeping their health in check. But the rewards are so worth it. If you read these resources I think you'll be very well equipped to be a fantastic piggie parent.

Go get your cloroplast, build a cavy cage, get some old towels and fleece blankets to put inside, stock up on timothy hay and fresh, vitamin-C packed veggies, and get ready to fall in love. : ) Please feel free to message me if you have any specific questions!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:46 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Totally forgot about this post :S
Weve had em a long time now.
My wife is on the cavy cages site I believe and she did build her own. Tis huge. Their house is bigger than the dogs :S

Old 02-14-2009, 01:28 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
wth??????

Old 02-15-2009, 06:48 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
So Brian - as a a newcomer to cavies - what do you think? Your opinion might help others in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets