Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times

Advertisements

Gizmo, neither is good for an adult rat, so keep looking. The cage should be AT LEAST 18" deep so the rat will have rooom to run around, and so you can put a litter box in there. You can train your rat to use the box to do his business. That'll keep the cage cleaner a little longer. Using cat litter really helps to keep the odor down, too.

What are you using to clean the cage? To keep expenses down, don't buy any of those cage cleaners, just use plain white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. DON'T mix them together, they'll produce a toxic gas. It's what I use to clear up a slow kitchen drain! Put each in it's own spray bottle. Spray down with one, wait a few minutes, then spray with the other, and let it do its work. Shouldn't have to scrub very hard if at all. Then rinse. I take my cage (5 ft. tall) out to the patio and do it all there, and hose it down to rinse.

My last rat died in December, but I'm getting 3 more in the next 3 weeks or so. I can hardly wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 11:12 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
the first cage is really pushing it for 2 rats, the second isn't suitable at all. below is a cage calculator that can determine the number of rats that can fit in a cage. for boys, I tend to round up to the nearest whole number and for girls, I round down (only b/c I tend to give my girls wheels to run in and my boys have been lazy bums who sleep all day)!

A Program

Ratty Corner Cage Calculator

Old 03-22-2009, 02:36 PM

97 posts, read 389,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
btw, does this look like a male to you? I've studied the pictures online, but can't seem to tell the difference... I know it will be obvious eventually, just curious now! :d

oh, and does anyone know what kind of rat he is? Color, marking, breed? In case you can't see in the pics, he is a solid blue-gray color, with white feet and two white "hearts" on his chest.
boy!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:34 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Thanks guys/gals! I'll check out that website you suggested for cages, and get something appropriate... it would be nice to save money by going used, but I doubt I'll find what I need.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:48 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. We discovered the snake has a clear preference for mice, since she gobbled one up yesterday... a little sad watching her eat it live, but at least I didn't end up with another pet.
It's like you're making the house as scary for our father as possible so he wont want to come inside...

That little rat is cute, but if I was the snake, I'd probably eat him at some point.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
It's like you're making the house as scary for our father as possible so he wont want to come inside...
Hahaha... I know, I was just saying that to Shay! He would DIE if he knew I was letting a rat burrow in my hair, and run around on my sofa.

Quote:
That little rat is cute, but if I was the snake, I'd probably eat him at some point.
Yeah, but I think she has a clear preference for mice... I hope.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Saw the pic. Yes, it's a boy.

Try to feed him some raw walnuts and pecans. Better than peanuts.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Saw the pic. Yes, it's a boy.
Yeah, I don't think there's much of a mystery now... his testicles started to drop this week.

Quote:
Try to feed him some raw walnuts and pecans. Better than peanuts.
I tried walnuts (they were out of pecans), and he kind of liked them - not as much as the peanut, though! I'll get some pecans next time I'm at the store, and will limit his peanut intake.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:18 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
I reckon you can feed them the same as squirrels. Here's a good list to follow. Scroll down to see the list of what you CAN feed them.

Squirrel baby feeding care nutrition scalded cow's milk

Old 03-26-2009, 11:25 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
I'd be careful w/ nuts since they can be fatty (wouldn't give more than one whole almond/day). here's a link to the type of diet I feed my rats (I've made a few alterations in regards to brands used, but overall, it's pretty similar to this recipe):

ratsrule.com - suebee's rat diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
that "do not feed" list is WAY stricter than it needs to be for rats. a lot of the things on that list is fine for rats (and contrary to opinions, chocolate isn't poisonous to rats! but it's still a junk food and shouldn't be feed daily if at all). carrots, dog foods, and sunflower seeds are all fine for rats. rats aren't vegetarian, so can stand far more variety in their diets than squirrels and I prefer to give my rats more animal proteins as opposed to those from nuts and dairy products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets