Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Well, Felix the rat is still alive and well! I finally got him a proper cage, and he was SO excited about it... started "pocorning" like a guinea pig (GP owners will know what I mean), and exploring every inch with curiosity. He will outgrow this cage eventually, but the salesguy said I'll get at least a few months out of it. I didn't want to get anything big yet, since he is still very small & could get hurt. He really is a sweet rat, and loves to burrow inside my hair - it's thick and curly, so he thinks it is the perfect nest. He now has opened eyes and little teeth, which he unfortunately likes to test on my fingernails (hopefully that's just a teething stage).

A few questions for the rat people here... based on the pictures below, how big do you think he'll get? And if I post a belly shot, can somebody help me sex him? Finally, what should he be eating at this age (approx. 3 weeks)? I tried commercial rat food, but most of the pieces seem WAY too big for him. I also threw in a strawberry and carrot, which he has nibbled on a bit. Also not sure he's figured out the water bottle yet, so hopefully he isn't thirsty. TIA for any advice, and here are the pics:

Tough to get good shots of him!

Yo, wazzup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 AM

P.S. We discovered the snake has a clear preference for mice, since she gobbled one up yesterday... a little sad watching her eat it live, but at least I didn't end up with another pet.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Gizmo,

The ratlette is adorable! You can feed him pecans and walnuts -- not too many walnuts, so pecans one day and walnuts the next. Very good for him!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks! I'll get him some pecans and walnuts after work - don't have any at home, since I personally hate them.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 PM

Btw, does this look like a male to you? I've studied the pictures online, but can't seem to tell the difference... I know it will be obvious eventually, just curious now!

Oh, and does anyone know what kind of rat he is? Color, marking, breed? In case you can't see in the pics, he is a solid blue-gray color, with white feet and two white "hearts" on his chest.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:01 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
it looks like a male, but I can't be sure. if I'm remembering correctly, male rats don't have nipples, so you can check for those too (if the rat is a girl, a few nipples should be visible by now I think). he looks like a black self w/ a mismarked Irish marking. I've had a few baby rats change colors a bit around 5-6 weeks (and I had one solid white rat end up w/ surprise Siamese points 2 months in!). he looks like a standard rat in terms of ears and coat

I've had some good sized boys in the past (including 2 2-pounders), though these guys were mainly chubby! male rats tend to turn into lazy slugs when they get older and may gain a bit of weight if you aren't careful. most are better as "lap rats" compared to hyperactive, "neurotic" female rats that never seem to slow down! I've always preferred males to females b/c of this

he should be eating solid foods by now, even if he's only nibbling. if you're worried, you could try soaking some lab blocks in soy milk (make sure it's not real milk). baby cereal made w/ soy milk is also good, as is baby food (any flavors). I've fed baby rats oatmeal, scrambled eggs, chicken and sweet potato baby foods, applesauce (unsweetened, and only a little bit), cooked brown rice, and canned high quality senior/low fat dog foods (no cat foods, too high in protein). note a lot of these foods can get messy (ESPECIALLY the baby foods!) and leftovers need to be cleared out before they rot (rats do hoard foods, especially in their beds. just finished scraping out some mashed bananas from my baby boys' hammock!). there are a few foods to avoid (a list can be found online), but rats can eat almost anything a human eats, so long as it's not heavily sweetened/salted/spicy/seasoned and it's reasonably healthy

Last edited by eevee; 03-20-2009 at 01:14 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
That cage is MUCH TOO SMALL. Definitely NOT suitable for a few months. That cage is only good for transporting your rat (such as to the vet). Unless you give him free range for a few hours daily, get a more suitable cage.

Do you have any money budgeted right now for that? I can send you links to cages you may want to look at. Or even check for on Craig's List.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
That cage is MUCH TOO SMALL. Definitely NOT suitable for a few months. That cage is only good for transporting your rat (such as to the vet). Unless you give him free range for a few hours daily, get a more suitable cage.

Do you have any money budgeted right now for that? I can send you links to cages you may want to look at. Or even check for on Craig's List.
Really? I had 2-3 people say it was fine for now, since he is still so small. I can buy a new one, though, and just donate that one to the SPCA... there's always room in my budget for the critters, but I would like to keep the cost down ($75 or less?). Any suggestions would be great!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
I don't have anything helpful to add. I just wanted to coo over the adorableness! Almost makes me want to run out and get another rat.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:01 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Btw, does this look like a male to you? I've studied the pictures online, but can't seem to tell the difference... I know it will be obvious eventually, just curious now!

Oh, and does anyone know what kind of rat he is? Color, marking, breed? In case you can't see in the pics, he is a solid blue-gray color, with white feet and two white "hearts" on his chest.
OMG, the ratlette butt pic, feet in air, I spit laughing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets