Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,627,335 times

Advertisements

Pet-owners in Japan are washing their dogs and cats in specially designed vending machines to save money in the recession.

More and more people are making use of machines such as one installed at a pet supermarket called Joyful Honda in the suburbs of Tokyo.

Ananova - Washing machine for dogs (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3691937.html?menu=news.quirkies - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:58 PM

257 posts, read 534,107 times
That would almost make my job obsolete! Good thing they haven't invented a machine to cut/style hair too

Old 02-26-2010, 08:40 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,842,103 times

YouTube - Cat vs. PetSpa

EDIT: Sound in the video above does not appear to be working, but it gives you an idea how it works.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:16 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,330,604 times
That machine just strikes as cruel. Cats aren't meant to be bathed in that manner at all. Nor would I put a dog in one.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
That machine just strikes as cruel. Cats aren't meant to be bathed in that manner at all. Nor would I put a dog in one.
So true! My first thought was that poor cat is terrified.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
hmmmmmm does it have a spin cycle?????

Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,420,313 times
That's disgusting and just plain cruel! I would NEVER put my fur babies in such a thing! Especially an elderly cat or one with a heart problem.............

Old 02-27-2010, 08:55 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,376,530 times
I wouldn't do it. That poor terrified cat. So trusting when he was put in there, too... humans can be so ... uh!! For all the kitty knows, he could've been being put to death, cremated or flash fried in there - oh no, it's just multiple jets of water with no escape while your owner stands safely outside watching and won't rescue you!!!!

I only have cats, but when I owned dogs, it was a very cuddly and bonding (and somewhat challenging but memorable) experience everytime it was bath time. I wouldn't trade it for the world. - nor would I ever dispose of my long-earned trust with my kitties by putting them through that. They are not a pile of laundry. Would you stand in line if they came out with one of these that was "safety approved" for infants? After all, babies tend to smell horrible at times too...

Their website proclaims: "Using our unique technology we are able to lower the stress on pets compared to traditional bathing due to the fact that we do not use a restraining system." -did you watch that video? There is a second one (the original) that youtube was demanded to have removed from their website for multiple infractions in animal cruelty advertisement. ...there's your first clue.

Everything is regulated by a computer. The tempurature of the water, the amount of oxygen released and contained within the cabin. One of the manditory rules when laundering a cat (that they don't advertise, it's only in their manual which was very hard to find a PDF copy of online) was that they have to have cottonballs stuffed in their ears, and their eyes closed, because cats (and any tiny dogs who are not recommended for this) have been tested as too fragile for the jet streams. There is no way to control the settings for how hard the jets spray - and this machine wouldn't sell unless it could bath a full sized dog - so... you either get a wimpy bath on a big dog that does nothing.. or a fierce jet spray that could (and has) seriously injured smaller animals in the earlier testing stages. When it comes time for the jet-dry blowdrying heat to kick on... how do you tell me you apply the same amount for a golden retriever as you would for a cat? Animals die from overheating when at grooming stations every day due to accidents. - putting them in a box and dropping the quarters down the slot and walking away isn't going to make that any better!

What else don't they want us to know? Oh here's another plus side, it doubles as a gas chamber. Not only is it a short cut to euthanism for overcrowded understaffed shelters (and it cuts down on time, energy, and effort, and increases the safety of the staff) - but it can also be used to administer specific chemicals, skin treatments, vapors, etc, for medical reasons. I'm still reading up on this. And getting more horrified by the minute.

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 02-27-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,842,103 times
My dogs hate bath time. They jump out any time they get the chance. Then they get out and rub their wet fur all over the couch.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:13 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,420,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
I wouldn't do it. That poor terrified cat. So trusting when he was put in there, too... humans can be so ... uh!! For all the kitty knows, he could've been being put to death, cremated or flash fried in there - oh no, it's just multiple jets of water with no escape while your owner stands safely outside watching and won't rescue you!!!!

I only have cats, but when I owned dogs, it was a very cuddly and bonding (and somewhat challenging but memorable) experience everytime it was bath time. I wouldn't trade it for the world. - nor would I ever dispose of my long-earned trust with my kitties by putting them through that. They are not a pile of laundry. Would you stand in line if they came out with one of these that was "safety approved" for infants? After all, babies tend to smell horrible at times too...

Their website proclaims: "Using our unique technology we are able to lower the stress on pets compared to traditional bathing due to the fact that we do not use a restraining system." -did you watch that video? There is a second one (the original) that youtube was demanded to have removed from their website for multiple infractions in animal cruelty advertisement. ...there's your first clue.

Everything is regulated by a computer. The tempurature of the water, the amount of oxygen released and contained within the cabin. One of the manditory rules when laundering a cat (that they don't advertise, it's only in their manual which was very hard to find a PDF copy of online) was that they have to have cottonballs stuffed in their ears, and their eyes closed, because cats (and any tiny dogs who are not recommended for this) have been tested as too fragile for the jet streams. There is no way to control the settings for how hard the jets spray - and this machine wouldn't sell unless it could bath a full sized dog - so... you either get a wimpy bath on a big dog that does nothing.. or a fierce jet spray that could (and has) seriously injured smaller animals in the earlier testing stages. When it comes time for the jet-dry blowdrying heat to kick on... how do you tell me you apply the same amount for a golden retriever as you would for a cat? Animals die from overheating when at grooming stations every day due to accidents. - putting them in a box and dropping the quarters down the slot and walking away isn't going to make that any better!

What else don't they want us to know? Oh here's another plus side, it doubles as a gas chamber. Not only is it a short cut to euthanism for overcrowded understaffed shelters (and it cuts down on time, energy, and effort, and increases the safety of the staff) - but it can also be used to administer specific chemicals, skin treatments, vapors, etc, for medical reasons. I'm still reading up on this. And getting more horrified by the minute.

OMG----are you serious? This thing doubles as an euthnasia chamber?

How do we stop this cruelty? Where's PETA or SPCA in all this? I'd rather have a smelly cat than a dead one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets