Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,288 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been checking out this site every once in a while for a long time while considering making the move to Philly. I've finally bitten the bullet and found a job in Center City. I'm now looking for an apartment for August 1st and am planning my first trip down to visit and look this coming weekend. I've seen a lot of great advice given by the folk on this board so I'm hoping you can all help me out a bit!

Mainly I'm looking for some suggestions on neighborhoods and good sources for apartment searching. I'm planning to do a lot of walking around this weekend as I'm not familiar with many neighborhoods outside of Center City. I've spent a lot of time on Craiglist and have been somewhat disappointed with what I'm finding. All of the apartments I'm finding in my price range seem to be in the not so great areas of North Philly around Temple U. Do people think I'm just getting unlucky or am I being unrealistic about what I can get for my price range?

Can you all suggest any sources for apartment searching other than Craigslist? Is walking around and looking for signs in windows realistic in Philly? Thanks so much in advance for any ideas you all have. I've answered the questions in the survey below to help get the conversation started!

When are you moving? August 1st
Where are you coming from? Jersey City, NJ
Why are you moving? For work
Where will you be working? Center City (South Broad Street)
Have you been here yet? Yes, on several visits

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I'm open to any style. I want to spend at most $800/month
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? I'm open to anything.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single. No children.
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? No
Are you keeping a car? Yes.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? I like some activity, but am okay with being in a neighborhood outside CC.

What do you want to be closest to? It's most important for me to be near decent places to shop/eat/drink.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I'm open to any neighborhoods regardless of whether or not they're diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,993,360 times
Your price range may be a little low depending on how far you want to go out from CC

I am attaching a link which may be helpful If you click on the center city link you can select on neighborhoods etc.

All of these neighborhoods will have a little different feel but rest/bars etc. and all are relatively easy to commute to South Broad some even walkable depending on the exact location

Prudential Fox & Roach | Real Estate | Philadelphia, PA, NJ, DE & MD

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: