Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 12:15 PM

8 posts, read 10,501 times

Advertisements

So ive been trying to decide where I want to go for community college for next spring..And I don't know which place to go to school!

I heard philly is easy to commute to nyc and boston and the beach

NYC is filled with life and theres always something to do..but i feel like its bad when im looking for a committed relationship eventually

Boston is very classy and higher class look and proper i feel like

So they all have advantages and disadvantages...but the question is which one is the best..I like to dress classy, I want to go to school for teaching and nutrition and I'm also looking for a relationship

HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Where are you moving from? You may or may not be familiar with the Northeastern "Attytood", particularly pronounced in Philly and New York, that can put people off at first.

Assuming it's the Community College of Philadelphia you're interested in, have you compared it to similar schools in NYC and Boston?

I won't put down New York or Boston (unless we're talking sports smack ) but I will say that compared to those cities, Philly may be the most down-to-earth and affordable. Philly certainly has more than its fair share of sophisticated culture and nightlife. Depending on your housing budget, you'll probably find yourself spending a lot of quality time in Rittenhouse Square, Old City and Northern Liberties, for starters. All of these are in or near Center City which encompasses several neighborhoods and is essentially the social hub of the city. You won't need a car as it is a walkable two square miles with excellent mass transit coverage particularly within the city. The Broad Street Subway will let you off about three blocks east of CCP.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:38 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Something to consider...residency requirements. At the Community College of Philadelphia, your tuition will be higher if you're not a resident of Philadelphia or Pennsylvania. I would guess this would also be true of community colleges in NYC and Boston too.

Quote:
Residency Requirement
Tuition rates at Community College of Philadelphia are determined by a student’s domicile. Domicile is the place where one intends to and does, in fact, permanently reside. The College establishes its residency policy in accordance with the Pennsylvania Code, Title 22, Education Chapter 35.

First preference for admission to the College, and particularly to select programs of high demand, is given to Philadelphia residents. To qualify as a legal resident of Philadelphia, an applicant must meet all of the following requirements:
  1. Must be a citizen or a permanent resident alien of the United States or be admitted on an immigrant visa to the United States.
  2. Must have resided in Pennsylvania for at least 12 months prior to first day of the 15-week term of the semester at Community College of Philadelphia.
  3. Must have resided in Philadelphia for at least three months prior to first day of the 15-week term of the semester at Community College of Philadelphia.
The College will require two items of documentary evidence or statements from disinterested persons in order to establish proof of residence.
Community College of Philadelphia - Admissions Information

Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Where are you moving from? You may or may not be familiar with the Northeastern "Attytood", particularly pronounced in Philly and New York, that can put people off at first.

Assuming it's the Community College of Philadelphia you're interested in, have you compared it to similar schools in NYC and Boston?

I won't put down New York or Boston (unless we're talking sports smack ) but I will say that compared to those cities, Philly may be the most down-to-earth and affordable. Philly certainly has more than its fair share of sophisticated culture and nightlife. Depending on your housing budget, you'll probably find yourself spending a lot of quality time in Rittenhouse Square, Old City and Northern Liberties, for starters. All of these are in or near Center City which encompasses several neighborhoods and is essentially the social hub of the city. You won't need a car as it is a walkable two square miles with excellent mass transit coverage particularly within the city. The Broad Street Subway will let you off about three blocks east of CCP.
yea i would center my comparison not so much on the different cities but on the CC programs they offer, after all that is the point of what you want to do.

Can't speak on the programs in NY or BOS.

but i can say the program in philly is pretty great, i know a lot of people who went there and got a good education, they work with some of the state schools too, including temple, so that you can then seamlessly transfer over after two years, saving you a lot of money.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Apparently, Philly is not classy, is not filled with life and there's nothing to do?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:56 PM

8 posts, read 10,501 times
Thanks! yeah I live near albany So I'm in new york but philly sounds the better choice so far I just have to do all that citizen stuff!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:10 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
in philly, you'll have access to some world class beaches

Old 04-26-2011, 05:03 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,903 times
I'm moving back to Philly from NYC in a few days and can tell you that you will find it very difficult to make ends meet as a student in NYC. You most likely won't even live in Manhattan, unless you're willing to fork over megabucks for rent, utilities and food, which I'm assuming won't fit your student budget. Save NYC for once you have a degree and marketable skill. Otherwise, you won't be able to afford all the fun things NYC has to offer. At least in Philly, you'll be able to find affordable housing and still do fun things. Pretty much all housing in Philly is substantially nicer than NYC housing and for a much lower price anyway. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia