Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 PM

14 posts, read 45,623 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am moving to Philly from NJ. Do I need a Real Estate Attorney when purchasing a home?
In NJ we had to have one and houses go into a 3-Day attorney review after a bid is accepted. I am wondering if it works the same.
Would you recommend using one even if it is not required?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,559 times
We purchased a house last year and no attorneys were involved period.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakitty View Post
Hello

I am moving to Philly from NJ. Do I need a Real Estate Attorney when purchasing a home?
In NJ we had to have one and houses go into a 3-Day attorney review after a bid is accepted. I am wondering if it works the same.
Would you recommend using one even if it is not required?

thank you
Unlike NJ, in PA you do not need an attorney to buy a house and the vast majority of people do not use one. There is still a attorney review period, however. If you are comfortable reading and understanding a standard form purchase contract yourself, then an attorney is not necessary. i would not just put all my trust in a real estate agent to do it for you, however.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,814 times
I bought a house in NJ and we were not required to have an attorney. There is an attorney review period...but we were not required to have an attorney review anything. I think it is still optional in NJ. We were just talking about this on the NJ board. It was pretty mixed...some folks insist on attorneys, others don't feel the need.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 AM

I thought we had to have an attorney review, but our agent said it was not necessary and that most people don't use one.

I have no idea.. this would be my first home purchase.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakitty View Post
I thought we had to have an attorney review, but our agent said it was not necessary and that most people don't use one.

I have no idea.. this would be my first home purchase.
there is an attorney review period (3 days i think) after you sign the contract, which is dicated by PA law. this essentially gives you the ability to change your mind and get out of the contract if you want to (or if an attorney actualyl does find an issue) without losing your deposit. whether or not you choose to have an attorney review it or not is up to you.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 AM

AHH thank you - that is how it is in NJ
I found it odd the agent would say I don't need an attorney. Being a first time home buyer I would think it is best to have one

Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 AM

889 posts, read 2,573,715 times
^ agreed. Just because not everyone does it, ... still it's a good idea. I'd be careful getting anything even remotely considered as legal interpretation by a re agent.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:13 PM

584 posts, read 1,424,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
^ agreed. Just because not everyone does it, ... still it's a good idea. I'd be careful getting anything even remotely considered as legal interpretation by a re agent.
For sure - if you feel more comfortable, hire an attorney. I don't think it's that pricey (especially in light of the cost of a home). I did not hire a lawyer during my past home purchase. During the final stages, things got a little rocky b/t sellers and I (they failed to disclose something) and at that point I was prepared to either walk away or hire a lawyer if they didn't rectify the situation.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,715 times
It's probably the largest financial commitment you'll make in your life. Reason enough to get an attorney involved. I'd go so far as to say have a re attorney review any paperwork you need to sign, before you sign, even the agreement between you and a buyers agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: