Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 39,229 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

We are considering moving to West Philadelphia from Lansdowne so our daughter can attend the Penn Alexander School. The attendance zone is basically 40th-46th streets between Sansom and Baltimore Avenue. Some general questions are:

Is it possible to buy a nice place under 200k?
Is this a place where stable families (as opposed to college party houses) live?
What are the taxes like?
Is it relatively safe?

Thanks for your time and feedback!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 PM

73 posts, read 306,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansdowne Resident View Post
Hi There,

We are considering moving to West Philadelphia from Lansdowne so our daughter can attend the Penn Alexander School. The attendance zone is basically 40th-46th streets between Sansom and Baltimore Avenue. Some general questions are:

Is it possible to buy a nice place under 200k?
Is this a place where stable families (as opposed to college party houses) live?
What are the taxes like?
Is it relatively safe?

Thanks for your time and feedback!!!
Unfortunately home prices in that area are extremely high because of Penn Alexander. You will need to at least double your budget before you can sniff that catchment.

There are tons of families out there because they absolutely have to live in the catchment to go to that school.

Taxes I'm not sure about.

Safety is about as good as you'll get in the city. I live in a neighborhood that is more fringe than what you are talking about and we feel pretty safe.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,526,738 times
Safe at night, no. Property damage, yes. Why not get a townhome in a good suburban district or even Upper Darby? Or even stay in Lansdowne and go Catholic school?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Safe at night, no. Property damage, yes. Why not get a townhome in a good suburban district or even Upper Darby? Or even stay in Lansdowne and go Catholic school?
Maybe he wants some diversity and city living. This neighborhood is as safe as anywhere in the city at night. I have friends that live in the exact areas he outlined and they have no problems with safety or property damage. Maybe you have an experience to share?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 AM

32 posts, read 105,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyzoo View Post
Maybe he wants some diversity and city living. This neighborhood is as safe as anywhere in the city at night. I have friends that live in the exact areas he outlined and they have no problems with safety or property damage. Maybe you have an experience to share?
agreed. I know three families who live in this catchment. They LOVE it and the city. None have had any safety problems nor property damage. Neighbors tend to look after neighbors. This school zone is filled with families who are invested in their local public school. It is a great family neighborhood, in my opinion, but, as a prior poster stated, the housing stock is expensive. The catchment for Penn Alex is small, so you won't find anything for a family in your price range.

Also, if you are thinking about moving for kindergarten, I believe you are not guaranteed a spot, even within catchement. Since kindergarten is not required by law, they do not have to provide all catchment kids with a kindergarten spot and I believe it does fill up and some kids are shut out for kindergarten. If you are in-catchment, they have to take you at the 1st grade level.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:50 AM

101 posts, read 384,415 times
Safety in that neighborhood isn't much of an issue. I lived in that neighborhood for years before Penn Alexander existed and it was perfectly safe. With the home prices skyrocketing and the Alexander school the neighborhood has transformed even more in the last decade. There are tons of families, young couples, and students throughout.

With all that said, a budget of under 200k isn't get you in that neighborhood. Maybe a small apartment? Under 200k probably won't get you much east of 52nd st.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Default Other good public schools

Meredith, McCall, Greenfield, and Bache Martin. All convenient to CC but are in neighborhoods where the housing is rather pricey, definitely more than $200k. BM is probably the best kept secret of te bunch. Their scores may not be that great but one can never rely on test scores to know how he school is doing. BM has a new principal and recently received a $7mil grant to turn it into a magnet school. Technology will be updated and academic program offerings willl rival and in some cases beat the other schools I mentioned. It would also be easier to get into, for now.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,526,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyzoo View Post
Oh I don't know. Maybe you should take 5 minutes to google West Philly crime...every time I do, I find something pretty awful. This is from a quick search mind you but with the economy in the toilet, people get more and more desperate so the marginal areas become hunting grounds real quick...but I guess I'm just paranoid.

Here you go:

Crime and Crime Again :: News :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs

Old 02-17-2009, 03:43 AM

^^^^^^ "West Philly" is a pretty big area. The areas that the OP is asking about is not that bad, especially in the Penn Alexander area. I agree, you are paranoid.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Oh I don't know. Maybe you should take 5 minutes to google West Philly crime...every time I do, I find something pretty awful. This is from a quick search mind you but with the economy in the toilet, people get more and more desperate so the marginal areas become hunting grounds real quick...but I guess I'm just paranoid.

Here you go:

Crime and Crime Again :: News :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs
Please stop feeding the hysteria. A vast majority of the crime you speak of is in areas most of us would never go into willingly. Yet you (and many others) use it like a club to defend/uphold your bland choice of where you live apparently. To those of us not living our lives via unrealistic fears, it gets old. Give it a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia