Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:11 PM

58 posts, read 372,729 times

Advertisements

Here is a map that shows there is crime all throughout the city. This is mostly for our Philly friends who missed this map! So....the crime isn't just in the North and West sides of Philly. Do not be NAIVE! Here is proof.

I could not post the map, so here is a link. Also search on google. type in
philly.com crime maps or use this link from the local paper>

http://inquirer.philly.com/graphics/murders_map/

Last edited by LAX_Airport; 03-23-2007 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: wrong url link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 12:17 PM

58 posts, read 372,729 times
Default Link to Crime Map

Here is the link without the "url"
I dont know why it did this. Try the one below if the top one does not work.

inquirer.philly.com/graphics/murders_map/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Airport View Post
Here is a map that shows there is crime all throughout the city. This is mostly for our Philly friends who missed this map! So....the crime isn't just in the North and West sides of Philly. Do not be NAIVE! Here is proof.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:59 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
Quote:

I could see trying to pick on Philadelphia if it was the only place on earth that experiences crime. But Philadelphia is no different than any other major city in the USA. 2005 Philadelphia ranked 36th in violent crime in cities over 350,000 people. 2006 Philly crime spiked and the ranking will probably be a bit higher, but I bet there will still be at least 20 other major cities in worse shape than Philly regarding violent crime.

I realize NYC is 6 times the size of Philadlephia but in 2005 NYC had 4 times as many violent crimes as Philly, but you never hear about NYC being an unsafe place to live.If NYC has 40,000 violent crimes per year and Phillys has 10,000 violent crimes, in reality which place is more unsafe? I could show you a crime map of NYC, Chicago,DC,La that would make you never want to step within 1000 miles of those cities.

Crime is everywhere in the cities.Certain sections are where 95% of the crimes take place. Is there spillover into what are seemingly safe neighborhoods? Yes but its exception not the norm. Just like Manhattan is going to be safer than parts of the Bronx/Queens, Center City is going to be safer than West/North Philly.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:15 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times
Quote:

ANOTHER interesting feature of that interactive map aside from looking at the location in which murders were committed is that they are broken down in terms of the time of day, gender, age and race.

Just for the sake of finding trends, let's look at the numbers:

SEX
Female: 11.6%
Male: 88.4%

RACE
Black: 82.5%
White:15.6%
Asian:1.9%

18-25: 40.9%
26-40: 32.8%
40-60: 14.5%
60+: 3.7%

TIME
Midnight-6am: 33.3%
6am-Noon: 12.3%
Noon-6pm: 21.9%
6pm-Midnight: 32.0%
Unknown/NA: 0.49%

Not trying to make any racist, sexist or ageist statements here -- but I think the trends are pretty clear. Crime just tends to occur at a much higher rate among younger, minority males. My point is, regardless of how much some people would like to portray it otherwise, it's not like there are criminals in Philly killing everyone in sight at random. Again, I'm not making any judgements, but the fact of the matter is that violent crime tends to be highly associated with certain demographics.

Aside from that, the map DOES display that both northeastern and northwestern Philadelphia (in addition to Center City) have drastically lower incidents of murder (Roxborough, Manayunk, Mt. Airy, Fox Chase, etc.).

Old 03-23-2007, 07:29 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
Good points duderino. Also add that 95% of the people who were killed last year were intended targets( back in the day they used to fistfight- today these kids are packing heat and letting fly for any little discrepancy). 75% of those killed last year had criminal records. Those are crazy numbers.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:23 PM

468 posts, read 2,359,021 times
This map shows...

- Only 2 murders in Center City, the most densely-populated part of the city
- Only 2 murders in the parts of University City/West Philly that anybody would recommend people live
- Only 1 murder in Fishtown
- Only 1 murder in Northern Liberties
- TONS of murders in the "bad neighborhoods" of the city-- the hearts of North Philly, West Philly, Point Breeze and 5th Street in South Philly

We're looking at the same map, but drawing very different conclusions.

And as people have mentioned, the murderers and the murder victims are overwhelmingly people who know each other. Do you know people who shoot people? I don't. I tend not to associate with drug dealers who kill each other, so my chances of getting shot decrease dramatically.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:33 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post

And as people have mentioned, the murderers and the murder victims are overwhelmingly people who know each other. Do you know people who shoot people? I don't. I tend not to associate with drug dealers who kill each other, so my chances of getting shot decrease dramatically.

Exactly. This is why it really irks me when the media releases crime statistics like this -- many people really don't know how to interpret them. If some news source put out statistics with percentages AND probability, then they would not look nearly as dramatic. Statistics are all about the context of the numbers, and your drug dealer example reflects that perfectly.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:58 AM

26 posts, read 448,668 times
The thing is bullets do not come with names on them, so any one is fair game I'd rather not take the chance of living somewhere that I could be shot just for walking down the street at the wrong time of day.
Whereever those criminals, (armed, have-nothing-to live-for, crazed from drugs) criminals encounter one another there could be deadly shots fired.
In my opinion, it's simply not worth it. What's interesting is that Philly's house values have dramatically increased over the past few years.
I'll revisit the stats to see if job growth and/or salaries are increasing at the same rate.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM

468 posts, read 2,359,021 times
Yeah, but statistically you're more likely to die in a car crash driving around in suburbia than you are to die as an innocent victim of gun violence in the city.

(You're also much more likely to die on the drive to the airport than you are in the plane. People fear irrational phenomena because they don't feel in control of their lives, not because of actual risk analysis.)

As for Philly's housing values, it's not "worth it" to live anywhere but the exurban fringe of a Sunbelt city (say, Phoenix) if you're doing a strictly economic comparison of housing prices and incomes. But people value intangibles (culture, lifestyles, family). That's why people pay $2,000 a month for apartments the size of boxes in Manhattan. They're not crazy, they're just putting value in other things.

Philadelphia's housing has been historically undervalued when compared to its peers in the Northeast (NY, Boston, DC). Philly's basically playing catch-up now.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:57 PM

71 posts, read 354,036 times
i like what rainrock said. i gave u props.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia